Looking to go to Maine next summer..ned some imput

Grassy

This will be the first time we are entering the US with a rig and dogs. This will be a new...but not a one time experience for us. I am the planner and we are just about to shut down this year ...so I am looking forward to next summer.

We are looking for campgrounds maybe NE of Bangor or over to Rangley. We will go farther south if worth it.

Our camping experiences are not as isolated as they sound in the south so parking withing 20 foot of another rig isn't usually an issue. Quiet time after 10 or 11 is expected. We look for walking / biking trails. Scenery and maybe a few places to visit in the local area and a good restaurant. We don't need to be entertained and wifi is nice but certainly not a must because we generally drop off the grid when traveling.

Would like water / sewer/ electric (30 amp) hook up.. sewer is not a deal breaker as long as they have pump out service that doesn't only operate one day of the week.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned that "caravans" are clogging many of the rv parks there ? We have no experience with this..

We are 52 foot long with the 5th being 31.5 foot. I like to drive between 60 and 65 mph.

It has been mentioned that July is very busy there.. should we be looking to go as far as New Hampshire ?

Is there anything else we should know ?

Thanks

Out the Rangeley way, probably your best bet is either Cupsuptic in Oquossoc or Cathedral Pines in Eustis (check reviews on Tripadvisor first, though). The state park has no utilities at the sites. Recommended restaurant options in the area are Bald Mountain Camps, Loon Lodge, and Forks in the Air Mountain Bistro (plus Red Onion for pizza and Parkside and Main for casual dining). You will definitely need reservations at the first 3.

Near Bangor our preference is Palmyra Golf and RV park; 50 amp FHU sites, generally pretty quiet. It's about 30 minutes to Bangor. Not much in the way of restaurants close by, though (Pizza Hut, a Chinese buffet, and Vittles in Pittsfield which is mostly for lunch; dinner only on Fri/Sat). Closer to Bangor is Pumpkin Patch in Hermon which a lot of folks like.

You should have no problem with your driving preferences on the interstate. Headed out towards the western mountains, though, routes 2 and 4 are generally 50 mph or slower (speed limits plus road conditions), 25 mph through towns plus you have the twists and hills. 16 from NH to Oquossoc in a 30 ft class C made me carsick.

In NH, Chris and Cherie just posted a great review of Ames Brook http://www.technomadia.com/2016/09/taking-care-of-chores-in-ashland-nh-ames-brook-campground/

July and August are the peak "campah" season, especially weekends, and lots of folks do seasonals in these areas. Since there aren't a lot of options (especially the Rangeley area), reservations are highly recommended during those months.

Michelle

ETA - I missed that you asked about northeast of Bangor. Not much close on that side, multiple friends have recommended Sunset Point in Harrington and Sunset Point RV Trailer park in Lubec (the two are not related).

Michelle,

Just has to mention that if I could drive over water, I could be at those two sites within a morning drive :)

Lobster seems to be a selling point...I have fished, cooked and served lobster however, I would prefer to have hot dogs so it is lost on me..too bad, because door front sounds *really* good.

I (we) appreciate the input. Oh, I have also contacted Maine tourism for any literature.

Ian :)

Since you like to walk etc. I would highly recommend a visit to Acadia National Park. I love the Carraige Roads, such a unique experience thanks to the Rockefeller's. It will be crowded in July. July/August is vacation time in the US. The bridge season is so much better. A little visited area that is part of Acadia is Schoodic, a bit of a drive away from the main area but they have cg(dry) and Lamoine State Park(many people have stayed there). In summer though you will need hookups for AC.

Once you get the info from Maine then decide where you want to wander.

Since you like to walk etc. I would highly recommend a visit to Acadia National Park. I love the Carraige Roads, such a unique experience thanks to the Rockefeller's. It will be crowded in July. July/August is vacation time in the US. The bridge season is so much better. A little visited area that is part of Acadia is Schoodic, a bit of a drive away from the main area but they have cg(dry) and Lamoine State Park(many people have stayed there). In summer though you will need hookups for AC.

There's a new campground in the Acadia area - Schoodic Woods in Winter Harbor. Has some W/E hookups. https://www.nps.gov/acad/learn/news/acadia-announces-the-grand-opening-of-schoodic-woods-campground.htm

Michelle

Archived