HDT Florida

BRUCEF55

SD license here as well. Spent a month down there in Feb 2016. The only thing that stopped me were the too small fuel stations & RV parks. Plan ahead. No LEO stops or second looks as far as I could tell.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We spent the winter of 2013 in Florida- no issues. Licensed in SD

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Anyone stopped Florida HDT pulling a 5ver

I'm not sure what you are asking. A Florida registered HDT can not (legally) have a 5th wheel hitch. A non Florida registered HDT can....even in Florida.

What is your question?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I got stopped bob-tailing coming back from getting fuel near Cleremont, they were doing DOT stops, asked for my info and where i was coming from explained easier to fuel with out the car on the back. He asked about pulling a rv with the hdt and I explained all about it, had a very discussion about why and he left saying be safe and have a nice trip.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

A Florida registered HDT can not (legally) have a 5th wheel hitch.

Big 5er, you mean a "privately registered HDT" correct. Obviously a commercially registered truck could. Just clarifying

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

This IS an rv forum, but you are right. An HDT registered as a MH can not.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

A "Florida" registered RV can not, although many do and have no problems.

Right. In FL an HDT used non-commercially CAN get a MH designation, but it has to have the 5th wheel plate removed. Law prohibits a MH-registered vehicle from having a 5th plate, and towing a trailer. You can only tow with a ball hitch (and "maybe" a pintle hitch). Both are considered non-load bearing.

Some people in FL DO register as a MH and THEN add on the 5th wheel plate and tow their 5th wheel RV. They are illegal. Only you can decide if you want to go that route. The fact that people get away with it - as they do with towing doubles in FL - does not mean it is legal.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes there a lot of situations that are just over the edge of legal. The concern should be what do you do if a LEO decides to invoke the law.

A over-wide Smart can be unloaded and you can continue on.

Over 65' length (most states) you may have to drop your trailer and have a commercial truck come and tow it away.

I won't say that having to absolutely legal is the only answer, but be prepared for the situation. We were almost 85' (truck, trailer, car) and the one time we were stopped, we could disconnect the car and then travel on.

In the case of a Florida registered motorhome with a fifth-wheel attached, that is an equipment violation. First the trailer would have to be dropped. Second, proof that the hitch was removed will be mandated by the equipment violation.

Unfortunately Florida is a problem state for HDTs, and the reason was the number of "NASCAR" rigs that tried to get by commercial registrations that Florida retaliated. Again, Florida is the only state where in the Forms and Regulations included photos to defined what is allowed in RV registrations.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived