Need help with flattest route in Pennsylvania

...In case you are wondering, we have a Chevy Express van, 3500, gasoline v8, 6.0. Towing probably between 8,000 and 9,000 lbs travel trailer...

You did not say whether you have the older 4 speed or 6 speed transmission, but in either case an 8000-9000# trailer is not that likely to be outside the capabilities of a 3500. In general, if you can maintain speed control in a certain gear without the trailer, you will need to be one or even two gears lower when towing. A 6% grade, no matter how long, is not in my experience/opinion an extremely steep grade. My Chevy 2500 towing a 9,800# trailer will go down a 6% grade at 45-50 MPH without touching the brakes. If there are tight turns (15MPH), switchbacks, etc. than down shifting or breaking may be necessary. We have walked down 12% grades in first gear without breaking with tractor trailers in front and behind doing the same thing.

You did not say whether you have the Chevy integrated brake controller or an after market one. In either case, proper adjustment is critical to proper function. Not all after market break controllers are equal with some performing better than others. Proper maintenance and adjustment of the trailer brakes is also important. Another common issue is a leaking grease seal which gets grease on the brake shoes resulting in decreased or failed trailer breaking.

Mountain driving requires equipment in top working condition and extreme operator attentiveness.

Yes I have run this route many times as I worked for company that would not pay T/P.

Correction on 1 route should be 22&322 they run along the river. Same company that wouldn't pay tolls put us route 30 and that route was terrible, Ships hill Sweetest Spot on the mountain in cut back 238 + 10 speed.

You have to cross mountains to get through Pa. I have traveled the turnpike both directions. The narrow two lanes west bound with very fast trucks were scary. I would not go slow. Thankfully it was dark on my way east and raining. What I can't see don't frighten me. The next trip will be on interstate 80 as I expect a newer highway to be better designed. Any remarks are welcome by me.

I will say you are smart to ask we all make mistakes on picking a route at sometime. Your not the first or last to heat your brakes up. In a lot of places the old rule is go down the hill at the speed you went up. I am sure I got more miles backing up than most on here have going forward and I made mistakes. You asked and some help, others criticized.

Archived