So...I put a deposit on this today....

13speed

I am a mix of nervous and excited. I have to fly to St Louis and drive it back to Vancouver WA by myself as the DW has to work and take care of the pooch in the avatar.

2013 630 D13 i-shift most all options including both air seats, E/P button and power windows. Here is the kicker....228K miles :D It has all 8 aluminum rear wheels with virgin rubber with 75% steers. $59,500

The WB is 240" or about 2' longer than a typical OTR rig so I am going to single short and will still have about a typical 217" WB. It should still ride well but will be the same overall length as my Ram 3500 crew long bed at 21.6. I am not wanting a hauler bed and am most likely building a Spacecraft Semi trailer so I will use the commercial 5th wheel. I have a guy near me in OR who can single it, move the 5th wheel forward and any other necessary adjustments for around 4K. The 4 alum wheels and new tires should get me a few bucks to help with that cost.

Questions, comments or concerns?

http://IMG_3157_zpsjjwqlvhe.jpeg

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Don't be in a rush to single. Talk to the trailer builder first. Way more options for the trailer, that way.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Front axel rating?

No side fairings?

Small tanks.

DPF status?

Headlight lens condition ?

IShift programmed for E/P operation?

Dyno?

VIs?

What are your plans for a brake controller?

If it is a Volvo dealer you might want to have them do an ECM dump. Have them also remove or reprogram safety shut downs.

Make sure it can do a parked Regen.

Check all the diagnostics for any active/ inactive fault codes.

Check for oil leaking from injector harness above ECM.

How about complete fluid change.

Temporary plates and registration to drive it home.

Insurance.

Some things to check during your PDI.

If you are still planning on a Spacecraft Semi-trailer you might want to check on pin weights. I understand they can go past 10k in a hurry.

13speed You'll have to change your name! Congratulations. It's a real beauty. How big of a 5er are you planning on hauling? 2 months ago I had a experience and I feel like my Trailer Saver was a trailer saver. PM me and I'll explain. Best of luck with that almost new Big One.

NeverEasy Are you in town? How about dinner? Call me 646-1686. Pat

The Old Sailor

Very nice rig. I agree with some of the others on not being in a rush to single. You could exceed the 19k single axle rating if you have a bed and heavy pin weight on a custom fiver. Depending on how far rearward your hitch mounts, you not only add the pin weight but also the weight that is unloaded from the front axle. I was surprised at how much weight my 19k fiver transferred from the front to the rear axle. Just food for thought. Enjoy that new baby. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

On the rear axle rating and overload issues.....

I have a 7K pin weight and carry a smart and a BUNCH of heavy tools in my singled 780. My trailer overall weight is 28,300. I'm about 800 lbs over on my axle, which is not a real issue. A Spacecraft will probably be a little heavier assuming it is my length (45) or a little shorter. Plan on 8K pin weight minimum on a Spacecraft semi. Marsha and Wyatt are pretty good at getting an accurate estimate...but remember, it is an ESTIMATE. It will vary some.

Do not single until you are pretty sure what you are doing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Don't be in a rush to single. Talk to the trailer builder first. Way more options for the trailer, that way.

I wont be in a hurry as the trailer will not be ready for quite a while unfortunately. Of what options do you speak?

Agree with D&A about this- wait, once that real estate is gone for the deck you don't just get it back.

We just started the hunt here, congratulations on the find!

Not sure what brand you are looking for but I will tell you that clean i-shift Volvos go fast! I had 2 other truck slip away by me hem hawing around. When you find the right one, jump on it!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Beautiful! My only concern would be getting it home if I did not have a CDL.

Thank you!

I am a truck driver with a class A so I am good there.

13speed You'll have to change your name! Congratulations. It's a real beauty. How big of a 5er are you planning on hauling? 2 months ago I had a experience and I feel like my Trailer Saver was a trailer saver. PM me and I'll explain. Best of luck with that almost new Big One.

NeverEasy Are you in town? How about dinner? Call me 646-1686. Pat

The Old Sailor

I know right, so am I now 12 speed? :lol:

Thanks!

I was on the fence between Forks and Spacecraft but if Marsha and I can get it designed I am looking to go with Spacecraft's Semi trailer design. They have storage underneath like a motorhome, only one small step front to back and no real weight restrictions because they use big rig tires/wheels and suspension. The king pin is mounted underneath just like a semi trailer with no RV style pin box. It will be 46'-46'5" and at least 30K loaded.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

MrSeas,

Front axel rating?

​I do need to ask but I am assuming 12,500

No side fairings?

It has side fairings???

Small tanks.

​It has a 100+ on the passenger side. 150 total is more than enough for me.

DPF status?

They had it checked and will provide paperwork when I get there.

Headlight lens condition ?

They look pretty good in the other pic's

IShift programmed for E/P operation?

Yes.

Dyno?

No but as with everything else it only has 228K on it so I am not to worried.

VIs?

???

What are your plans for a brake controller?

The trailer will be set up with air disc brakes.

If it is a Volvo dealer you might want to have them do an ECM dump. Have them also remove or reprogram safety shut downs.

It is not but I will be having Volvo to some computer tweaking.

Make sure it can do a parked Regen.

Ok.

Check all the diagnostics for any active/ inactive fault codes.

OK.

Check for oil leaking from injector harness above ECM.

Ok.

How about complete fluid change.

Done.

Temporary plates and registration to drive it home.

They will provide a 10 day temp tag.

Insurance.

I have a commercial policy ready to go.

Some things to check during your PDI.

If you are still planning on a Spacecraft Semi-trailer you might want to check on pin weights. I understand they can go past 10k in a hurry.

Marsha was thinking around 9K or so. which is a big reason to keep the commercial 5th wheel.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Like it

Thanks!

BIG congrats!

Thank you!

Very nice rig. I agree with some of the others on not being in a rush to single. You could exceed the 19k single axle rating if you have a bed and heavy pin weight on a custom fiver. Depending on how far rearward your hitch mounts, you not only add the pin weight but also the weight that is unloaded from the front axle. I was surprised at how much weight my 19k fiver transferred from the front to the rear axle. Just food for thought. Enjoy that new baby. Be safe, Charlie

Thanks,

I am not doing a bed or smart car so that will not be a factor. The hitch will be just forward of the axle. The great thing is that it is a slider so I can easily make adjustments from there :)

2018 NH 48' Majestic

You will be at about 10K pin weight. I wouldn't do anything until your trailer design is finalized.

I am going to stop in at Spacecraft on the way back home. Marsha and I are going to spend a afternoon next week gettin er done :)

2018 NH 48' Majestic

You asked about options to discuss with trailer builder.

1. Axle placement. This will affect pin weight. Also affects trailer handling/maneuvering characteristics.

2. Depth of overhang. This will be tied to hitch location on the truck.

3. Every other possible change. It's a custom.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived