Hello

Regulatormo

Hello I just wanted to introduce my self and say Hi. My name is Greg Roberts. I am looking at jumping in to the HDT thing as my first RV. I know this may sound foolish, but I am going to have to buy a new truck for whatever I get. My current truck has a 3000 pound tow limit I think. I figure if I am going to spend the money on a new truck I might as well do it this way when looking at prices of a used HDT truck. They seem a bit more reasonable than a regular 1 ton pick up. I have been scoping out this site for some time. I also figured that It might be easier to get the HDT and I will have plenty of time for getting it set up. Plus I will be able to get all the good information from all you people so as not to make any foolish mistakes. Looking at truck trader tonight I have found some trucks for around 20K. I am thinking that another 10 grand to convert it to pull a trailer. The trucks all had between 500K and 750K miles. Though many different manufactures. All I can ask is to please help steer me in any direction you feel important. I am wanting to do this right. I figure I will get an older trailer to start with, but I figure might as well go all in on the truck.

Hi Regulatormo,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know what part of the country you are from. But if get a chance go to a hdt rally. There is one coming up in Oct. in Kansas. You don't need to have a hdt for the rally's just an open mind to learn. Everyone is more than willing to answer your questions. The seminars at the rally's are a great source of info.

Good luck with your search,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Welcome to the forum.

No it's not foolish starting out in a HDT and trailer as your first. We started out with our first and only truck and trailer almost twelve years ago.

Just a thought. There are a few used trucks for sale (like ours) instead of buying one and converting it. Same goes for a 5th wheel trailer are a few used ones for sale, like ours. Can go to the classifieds and look. Pictures of ours are below in my signature.

Welcome. I also recommend attending a rally if at all possible. We will give you more information and advice than you could believe possible. Do you have the skills and tools to do any conversion yourself? How about building a bed? Are you going to carry a smart car? Are you going to go full timing?

These are all some things to think about. I built my first bed of wood but that was before the smart car came along. Then I had one built because I was full timing and had no equipment any more. You can spend as much or as little on the beds. Just depends on what you want to do.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Welcome Greg. Like some of the others have said... Come to the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS. It will save you aggravation and money. It's not too late to register. Just let me know you are coming. Hope to see you there.

For mor info, go to hdtrally.com

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

If you haven't already done so, look at both the FAQ link and the HDT resource guide links for many answers and information.

We also agree that you should try to get to one of the rallies if you are not in a rush.

There are many options on what to do with these trucks do give us some more info on your plans or wants and we might be able to help more.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Welcome, hope to see you at the HDT rally in KS next month. It will be worth your time and money, that is how we started.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Rally,s are definitely a good place to start went to west coast rally met a lot of great folks willing to answer all of our questions .Arm your self with knowledge. The more you know .The more you can tell who is full of bull and who is telling the truth. Do your homework and you will do fine.

I like your handle. The oft-repeated story among the fulltimers is that they get the "hitch itch" every two weeks (to hitch up and go someplace else). The reason? It takes their children three weeks to track them down and place them in "facilities" with rubber lined "hotel rooms".

When we had our 25 anniversary we went on a cruise left our kids at home. So they can get a hold of us we opened an email account using the name they hung on us . It has stuck with us ever sense. Guess it fit us. Kids where in there late teens and early twenties .When we went on the cruise. Got to keep them guessing all the time. Ha Got to keep out of that rubber lined "hotel room" for sure.

Archived