I am switching to an iPhone 6!

RV_

I deleted my Apple ID today and the long wait for Apple care, then 5 minutes with an advisor who passed me to a senior advisor was long but all American! Just like Credo Mobile and Verizon! Microsoft uses off shored tech support.

The senior advisor talked me through resetting my phone and then when he got frustrated because I kept telling him the was not a drop down menu with what he wanted he asked to remotely view my screen so I let him and he could not find what he was looking for doing exactly what he told me to do. At the end he said they changed the software. He was very nice but embarrassed as he initially acted as if I was missing something obvious. Then he told me that to delete my ID he would have to go through a long checklist that I had to listen to. First he asked if I had any lawsuits pending against Apple, then he read to me for about 20 minutes about how they were not responsible for my losing access to or actually having any media bought from Apple no longer function. I refused to go past the sign in page for iTunes when I realized they were going to change my files from MP3s to an Apple file type that allows them to approve or disapprove media and how that media is used and how many devices . . . OMG! They were going to tell me how I used my own property! To this day I do not have a credit card on file with Microsoft. When I rip one of my CDs from my DJ days, or lately my $1.99 CDs from pawn shops and Goodwill, the cover art and CD go in a CD album and the bulky plastic jewel case goes into the trash. Once ripped into an MP#, Microsoft has no say in the format I saved them in, nor presumes to approve or dictate my use of my own property. Nor does Google or Amazon for that matter. When I ported my phone number to the iPhone no long user agreements and hold harmless agreements were read to me to delete my Verizon or Credo Mobile accounts. None claimed any control over my media.

No I did not load iTunes at any time. When that came up as one of the first things I "must" do, and I read what it was going to do, that was when I bailed. I see what many see in Apple. Once there you can't leave without risking all your purchases and media, some literally taken back by Apple. Microsoft dropped their attempt called Media center long ago.

I don't hate them or mock them. But I see why their growth is down and Android has taken the lead in new customers.

I again am running Windows 10 Mobile on our Lumia 735s.

I have my 64GB SD Card in it.

I have my Headphone port.

My removable replaceable battery.

My NFC.

My OLED screen.

My micro USB port that handles hard drives and Flash drives. Data in and out.

Direct connection via USB to drag and drop files, pics, music between my computer and the phone with no changes to my mp3, jpg, or other file formats.

All is well again in the house.

And it all works without signing any disclaimers or having them protect me from myself.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Derek:

I have had an iPhone 6 for two years and I really like it. I had a semi-smart phone for several years, but didn't take advantage of many of it's features. I saw the Future and decided that my MEMORY was getting terrible, and that I couldn't remember where I was supposed to be where when.

So, I started a systematic questioning of MANY Geeks in many different stores. I talked to them about Android vs Apple. They always said, "Oh. You have just got to get an Android!!!". I would then ask them what they would get their MOTHER? Although I am not a mother, but a father, I asked about their mother because most of them were male and associated better with their mother. Most if not all said, "APPLE". This was because there were many fewer "wrong roads" to take with the Apple and the possibility of running across a "bogyman" were far slimmer. Apple's roads were far better marked and you know that if it was an Apple Approved app, that it was most likely to be alright out.

Now, I know that these aren't problems for YOU, but they could be for me. My Apple is ROCK SOLID. Very few problems and the ATT and Apple Geeks are very good to help me out; although they think that some if my problems are "ID 1 OT" problems, they try not to come out and say that.

So, there is my experience. I think/hope that you will have a rock-solid experience with the iPhone 6.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

After 30 years with Windows, I switched totally to Apple in January 2014. I wanted one platform across the board. Also, wanted one platform to use when explaining to DW how her IPhone and IPad worked. Still debating whether this has helped or not. No complaints here. I like my IPhone 6. Works well for me. Skipping the IPhone 7 and waiting for the 2017 version. Who knows? Maybe Apple will introduce the IPhone 8 with a flip phone version.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

• 2 weeks later...

The Apple phones cost you a fortune but they really do provide the best features any phone could ever have.

Not just the Apple phones. Try buying a Note 7 or Samsung Galaxy S7. They are well into the $600 range....an S7 Edge is $792 at Verizon. An iPhone 7 is $650.

The Samsung phones actually do MORE than the iPhones....but they are both great. And it is a personal decision which way to go.....you could not go wrong with either. If you have ANY other Apple devices the selection is obvious....go Apple.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We're a hybrid family:)!

MS on laptops and main PC's for decades.

First generation iPad just retired, replaced with a Samsung Tab (Bought one year used off of my DIL, a techno geek.)

I always had Motorola based cell phones. And am on Verizon with a Grandfathered UDP (For now:)!). Did replace our batter bulging Motorola Droid RAZR M, with a Samsung S6. Like the phone, but sure seemed to come with quite a bit more 'bloat' then I was used to from Motorola used phones.

The DW is now on her third iPhone. She has the 5S, and is on ATT. (We went split between ATT and Verizon, to maximize coverage potential while traveling in mostly the Western states. Though now after 10+ years, not near as often that one phone will work, when the other did not.) She too has UDP, but no Hospot option, so very seldom goes over 5-8G per month. We also had our Daughter and MIL on ATT as part of a Family Plan. Now just the MIL, as our daughter changed over to her spouses T-Mobile account (Or they may have jumped to Spring now?), whichever one it is that allows the DIL to get her latest and greatest new phone as they come out. (She is waiting for her replacement Samsung S7 Note now:)!)

To me, on the cell phones. The strength of signal collection is the most important single feature I look for. For years, the Motorola seemed to have the best antenna chips combo for signal collection. The iPhone has always been weaker, IMO. The Samsung S6 seems to do a good job on signal, and I have not noted any less coverage then I had with the Motorola.

My DW is due for an update soon, we buy our phones outright, usually from SWAPA, to preserve UDP's. I try to keep her's one generation back, so she is due. We also usually wait a year after buying the phone, then get a Mophie, or other battery pack. This way the iPhone battery has about a years usage on it, and the Mophie is still a bit younger. I'm a bit more slow at change, and quite often are two, or three generations back. Never got the Mophie for the Motorola phones, and have not yet for the S6, but still might.

We donate our keep our old phones as back up's, and then donate the previous backup to my wife's church, which places them with members that need it. (If they have replace batteries, we do buy a new battery and put them in the phone before donating them.)

Was so much easier, when i could just jump onto the Party Line, wait my turn, and the talk to whomever!!!!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Well said Jack.

I am afraid that the iPhone lacked a feature all Windows and Android phones have, SD card slots, and the ability to just drag and drop and transfer mp3s without going through a proprietary program like iTunes.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Smitty,

For your consideration, you might want to try the Lumia 735 if you are with Verizon. The 950 and other flagship are AT&T and only Verizon is reliable here in the boonies. The 735s do hotspot duty to use with a tablet or computer easily. They can be had for $74.95 Factory refurbished with 90 day warranty with free shipping in the link below. Mine were 8.1 to start and then we did the 10 upgrade and there have been two performance upgrades since. Verizon or GSM. The SD Card and Sim are both under the battery. We have the Glass screen protectors for 8 bucks and the cases are the two piece hybrids that we like. Go to the Windows store and check out the Apps for it. I am not much on Apps except for Kindle and Netflix, and a few radar and scanners for bar code and the other. https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Lumia-735-Smartphone-Refurbished/dp/B01DTE4R52/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1474935485&sr=8-3&keywords=Lumia+735

There are distinct advantages to being unloved both in price, and in not being attacked with security by obscurity. I may have to order a spare.

We got these cases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7HISSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

These tempered glass screen protectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WIW1GGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had no idea they were that cheap now. I think I will get a spare. We have a few cases we did not like as much as the ones above that we got in dayglo green and red.

The 735s come already set up for wireless charging so we got this triple coil charger, one for each of us in a black and a white. No playing to get it positioned just put the phone in the stand at night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131855747983

These are the best chargers I've had and I have had another Qi wireless charger.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived