What's Your TT Set-up?

freestoneangler

Truck Choice  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What do you pull with?

No doubt most if not all spent time researching which truck and travel trailer was the best for their intended use. Please share the set-up you chose and why.

We already have a Dodge 2500 CTD, but have been thinking about upgrading to a newer 3500 with the HO engine. Not so much for the additional load capacity but for some feature comforts (like heated seats). I see quite a few 3/4 ton trucks pulling TT's, so I presume they are doing so within vehicle limits? Based on what we've looked at thus far, a trailer between 25-28 feet should work fine. We do plan to use it for winter snowbird duty and want a couch and at least one recliner chair. The "rear living" units seem to offer that at about the 25'+ length.

I just knew someone was going to mention that :lol:. A new neighbor has one of them and is quite impressed with that 4 cylinder Fiat engine.

3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Look real close at the Nissan cargo & trailer capacities with the diesel. Seem to be a grocery getter, soccer dad special.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I'm in the other category.

Mine is a international 7400 4x4 pulling a 34 foot custom travel trailer. 68% of our miles are on dirt Two track roads. We call it adventure camping by spending months at a time in the middle of nowhere.

Sometimes at night we can see another campsite but very rare.

Love winter camping in the upper great lakes area.

I've been hearing things about these new "hybrid RV's"; slide in truck campers mounted on custom made trailers. I can see where a custom trailer design, if done right, can afford lots of additional secured storage and places for ATV's, etc. If configured right, it would still allow the camper to be used in the truck bed if desired. That sounds like a neat idea. My initial search on this is not yielding much info or pictures of such set-up's... anyone else seen these?

Another question for the forum concerns stability of TT's vs. 5th wheels. Does anyone know the statistics on whether one type is more often involved with accidents, rollovers, etc. than the other? I can say that we've seen two roll over events with TT's and never seen one with a 5th wheel. If matched to the right truck and configured correctly, are TT's on par with 5th wheels for overall stability?

A hybrid is closer to a hard wall trailer, with end or side openings with a fabric roof/wall set-up. A truck camper mounted on a goose-neck is more often referred to as a redneck hauler. Looks like this:

20160520_084021_zpsqln2he1c.jpg

There's all the info you could want, over on Pirate 4x4, but be prepared for a little more barnyard language over there. The trailer and towing thread has lots of info, and the for sale section always has some changing hands.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

25' TT (~7k loaded) with an F250 4x4 PSD. More truck than is really required, but full-timing.. the payload capacity comes in real handy... as does the 4x4 and PSD when getting into more remote boondocking areas.

When looking at TV's it's also important to consider WHERE you will be towing. A 1/2 ton with a big block V8 would be "capable" if it was strictly an occasional use blacktop only setup, you don't mind a screaming engine over the Rockies and getting maybe something like 8-9mpg.

Thanks Yarome. Sounds like my 2006, 2500 CTD would be just fine as that's about the length and load range we're looking at. Still may upgrade to 2014+ 1 ton as it has the higher output Cummins and the Aisin transmission... and I can finally get the heated seats and integral exhaust brake I wish I had :).

Any thoughts about towing stability of a TT vs. a 5th wheel? I still need to do a little research on the suggested load equalizer and stabilizer set-up's -- do the addition of these on a TT level the playing field?

New to me truck in February - 2014 3500 Cummins, Automatic, 4x4, built in Jake, 50k miles. Paid 1/2 of what it sold for new (paperwork was still in the truck!). Added a new 3/36 for peace of mind, still has drive train warranty. Great truck at a decent price. Heated seats AND steering wheel.

Pulled my new Toy Hauler home, 265 miles Montana/Idaho/NE Washington, approx. 9k lbs, will top out at 13+. Used a Equalizer anti-sway hitch that

was a good match. Pulled & stopped like a dream. Overkill? Maybe, but I'm happy with it. Can't have too much truck...

Forgot to say, I also like my TH because it's only 11.5' tall - seems 5th wheels are much taller.

New to me truck in February - 2014 3500 Cummins, Automatic, 4x4, built in Jake, 50k miles. Paid 1/2 of what it sold for new (paperwork was still in the truck!). Added a new 3/36 for peace of mind, still has drive train warranty. Great truck at a decent price. Heated seats AND steering wheel.

Pulled my new Toy Hauler home, 265 miles Montana/Idaho/NE Washington, approx. 9k lbs, will top out at 13+. Used a Equalizer anti-sway hitch that

was a good match. Pulled & stopped like a dream. Overkill? Maybe, but I'm happy with it. Can't have too much truck...

Forgot to say, I also like my TH because it's only 11.5' tall - seems 5th wheels are much taller.

Wow, that sounds like you got a great deal on the CTD. My search efforts have been a bit sporadic and to find a deal like the one you did, I'm going to have to invest some more time. I'm not a fan of white color and also want SRW... that I'm finding really reduces the number of candidates :) .

They are out there! Mine is SRW, color is called Prairie 'something' Pearlcoat. Didn't think I'd like it, but I do.

Also, since the paperwork was left in the truck I was able to contact the former owner and ask questions. They trade their

truck in every 2 years and had no complaints. Good luck to ya!

Sounds like my 2006, 2500 CTD would be just fine as that's about the length and load range we're looking at. Still may upgrade to 2014+ 1 ton as it has the higher output Cummins and the Aisin transmission... and I can finally get the heated seats and integral exhaust brake I wish I had :).

Any thoughts about towing stability of a TT vs. a 5th wheel? I still need to do a little research on the suggested load equalizer and stabilizer set-up's -- do the addition of these on a TT level the playing field?

You want to check all the numbers for your specific rig, but my guess would put you probably in the mid 60%-70% of capacity (in that year of rig).. so YES! That'll do very nicely in that load range. Anything under 80% should suit you fine so you 'could' even go a little heavier and still have a very stable/comfortable/safe tow rig. With the size and weight range that your considering, though... unfortunately... you can't use tow capacity limitations with the wife to justify a newer/heavier duty rig, but 'more truck is more better'. ;) I certainly wouldn't take a newer/more comfortable/capable/efficient 1 ton off the menu though. The tow itself really wouldn't be noticeably different, but there are certainly other advantages that should/could be considered.

Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but my perception is that most of the folks towing with a 3/4 ton would have probably preferred a 1 ton, but there is simply a much wider selection of 3/4 tons on the market to choose from. Supply and demand an all that when it comes to price points. KWIM?

My personal opinion on TT vs. 5th wheel stability... having had both... a 5th wheel is much easier to maneuver when backing and is generally going to be much more stable on the road. However.. given the right hitch setup, a TT will be nearly as stable under tow and has some other advantages over a 5th wheel. Ie., it frees up your TV's bed for storage, allows you more of your TV's payload capacity, and can get into areas where a 5th wheel may not.

With a 5th wheel you need to be aware of your turn radius capability and in off level situations. ie., in off level situations your 5th wheel "may" impact with the sides of your truck bed. Again though.. that depends on where you plan to travel and simply knowing what your potential limitations might be and an ounce of awareness goes a long way.

One other aspect that folks might not consider.. that I was just reminded of passing through Idaho this past week... in the event that your trailer 'where' to flip.. a TT is less likely to flip your TV.

TT hitch? At a minimum you'll want a weight distribution hitch. That's without question. Sway control? For that size of rig in that load range with that TV.. you really won't have much of an issue. That being said.. it's never a bad idea and I DO carry a single attachable sway bar, but it's rare that I put it on.. and even then more as just a precaution. That would largely depend on your own comfort level under tow and your driving habits though. If I found an excellent deal on a WDH w/sway control.. I would consider buying it. Personally.. I opted for WDH only and purchased/installed a single $50 attachable/detachable. I prefer to "keep it simple s#####". ;)

Sounds like you're on the right track.. whatever you decide rig-wise.

My wife and I have a 2015 Grand Design Reflection which replaced our previous trailer which got flash flooded last year. We got it because it had a great bunk house setup and an outdoor kitchen. We pull it with a 6.0L diesel Excursion and ProPride hitching system.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

We pull a 23' 2003 Komfort TT with a 2004 ¾ ton Chevy Avalanche. We purchased both units in 2003. The TT was every so slightly used and the truck was new. We purchased them for vacation travel shortly after retiring. When we started full-timing in 2007 we thought we'd start with this and later get a used diesel pusher Motor home. But we just adapted to this setup and never changed. Lots of mods to the TT to make it work for us. The truck is just the perfect tow vehicle for our purposes.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

We pull a 23' 2003 Komfort TT with a 2004 ¾ ton Chevy Avalanche. We purchased both units in 2003. The TT was every so slightly used and the truck was new. We purchased them for vacation travel shortly after retiring. When we started full-timing in 2007 we thought we'd start with this and later get a used diesel pusher Motor home. But we just adapted to this setup and never changed. Lots of mods to the TT to make it work for us. The truck is just the perfect tow vehicle for our purposes.

Do you use the TT for extended travels/stays? If so, do you find that the 23' large enough? We plan to use the trailer we buy to do winter snowbird which will likely involve staying at a park for a month+. We like the models with the one or two rear recliner chairs (rear living) -- so we're trying to find the shortest length with that layout.

Do you use the TT for extended travels/stays? If so, do you find that the 23' large enough? We plan to use the trailer we buy to do winter snowbird which will likely involve staying at a park for a month+. We like the models with the one or two rear recliner chairs (rear living) -- so we're trying to find the shortest length with that layout.

This trailer has been our home for over 9 years. Generally extended stays during the winter months and traveling during the rest of the year. We have 107K miles on the trailer. 23' is just right for our purposes. I'm not suggesting it would be "right" for anyone else. It all depends on your own preferences, hobbies, desires, etc. There is no room for two recliners in our TT. You will probably want something longer and something with slide-outs.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Forest River Stealth 2515 toy hauler. Pull it with a Chevy 2500 DMax. Did 7K miles over 4 weeks several months ago. Love the exhaust brake. At about 9.5K, the truck still went up any hill at whatever speed you wanted. Averaged over the trip about 13 mpg, although I think it would have been better as I found a sticky brake piston when I got home.

Mark

Archived