Tucson area parks & not having reservations

pegwillen

Anyone arrive in the west Tucson area without a park reservation and actually get a site? I hate to make a reservation when I can't be sure what day I will arrive, plus this being my first season traveling, not being familiar with any parks. From what I'm reading in my casual research it seems parks are full way ahead of snowbird season....thanks

I think you will have an easier time than bigger rigs. If you don't have to be in Tucson proper there are parks in the outlying areas that you may be able to find a site in.

Also it makes a difference if you are daily, weekly or monthly. Many parks save a few for overnighters and they will be happy to let you stay a month at the daily or weekly rates.

We traveled in Oregon this summer without making reservations (40 foot fiver and MDT) and didn't get our first choice but found sites we wouldn't have gone to if we had made reservations. One park said they had no monthly sites but would let us stay as long as we wanted at the weekly rate. I think part of it is that local laws define RV parks (transients) and Mobile Home parks (permanents) and the tax classification is different.

In Salem one of the parks we checked out is already booked for next summer for their long term sites.

If you're planning on staying in one park for a month or more, then you may have more problems just showing up and getting a space and you would if you're only staying a few days or a week.

We normally dry camp when in Tucson, but we have stayed at a couple of RV parks for an overnight or up to a week and have always gotten a site by just showing up.

I think you will have an easier time than bigger rigs. If you don't have to be in Tucson proper there are parks in the outlying areas that you may be able to find a site in.

Also it makes a difference if you are daily, weekly or monthly. Many parks save a few for overnighters and they will be happy to let you stay a month at the daily or weekly rates.

That explains a few things.....good to know, I have found a horse to lease in the Sahuarita area, so a site within about 30" drive and away from the metro area is what I'm hoping for...thanks

An even closer place is Green Valley RV Resort. It is right on the city border between Green Valley and Sahuarita. I believe they usually have some short term spots available. We have had friends visit us in the winter and get a place there. Monthly or longer and I don't know about....without reservations. I think if you want to stay for several months you really need to adapt a little and think about reservations.

As mentioned above, the snowbirds take over Tucson in the winter. We stay at Rincon West and every mid-Jan and all of Feb, they are completely full. So making an early reservation may be a better option.

We didn't used to make reservations years ago. But now it seems they are almost always required to get into the areas we want to stay. You see more and more Rvers but no new campgrounds so the more popular areas of the country fill up way in advance.

If you're planning on staying in one park for a month or more, then you may have more problems just showing up and getting a space and you would if you're only staying a few days or a week.

We normally dry camp when in Tucson, but we have stayed at a couple of RV parks for an overnight or up to a week and have always gotten a site by just showing up.

Where did you dry camp?

We also usually stay at the fairgrounds......and I have never even phoned ahead much less made a reservation. They have always had room for us.

One time we pulled in and there was a dog show going on. Needless to say there were a lot of dogs but it seemd like they were under control. We were invited to see the show free of charge.

Another time there was an RV show going on....got to snoop in a lot of RVs.

"We stay at Rincon West and every mid-Jan and all of Feb, they are completely full". ....Tucson also hosts the International Gem Show during this time frame, drawing some 50K visitors....so plan accordingly.RegardsGemstone1

I'm planning a mid-November arrival, I think that may work in my favor. Thanks all!

Archived