New winch cable

lappir

Had my first successful load yesterday with the motorcycle loader. Maybe the link will work and maybe not. Let me know.

Anyway, the winch I used is from my "Rampage" motorcycle lift I had on the back of the truck. It came with a 2 inch flat strap that is about 20 foot long. I'd like to have 25' but don't think it will fit on the spool. The winch is a Warn 2000 and it works very well. Am thinking of changing over to a cable to give me more length. Am I correct in my thoughts that cable will take up less room then the flat strap?

What is the best source for cable? Should I go with steel or synthetic? The winch is inside and protected, but there will be days that I will have to load in the rain. I know only about the cable from a tow truck I had for a few years. Never concerned about it breaking and it never did. I was young and probably very lucky. It was exposed to all the elements winter and summer.

The video link above.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Quick question. Is that a CT on the back? I use a CT on my HD, I just love it.

Thanks

Good eye. Yes I have been a Dark Side member for several years now. Have the "Taxi Tire" on the back of my 1995 GL 1500 and the Michelin on the FJR. Guess the video worked. Thanks for your comment.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Herrin put a 2 ton Warn with Kevlar cable on my 730. Diameter of cable is about 1/4", length about 25 > 30' and still have several turns on the drum after going thru the A frame and back down to the winch. The winch is more than adequate even single pull. I clip a snatch block on the rear of the car and double the pull and halve the speed.

It came with a wireless remote in addition to the hardwired remote and the switch in the winch compartment. Keep an extra set of batteries on hand.

Roger

I think mine is just a single ton (Warn 2000) Plenty for my motorcycle. Won't try to pull the truck anywhere with it though. Mine is an older model I think. the wired control is almost long enough. I think I can move it and maybe extend the reach just enough.

Thanks for the reply.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, I went with synthetic. It is easier to handle (no burrs) and it doesn't kink or crimp like steel cable making proper winding on the spool unnecessary. Since I sit in the car as I winch it is impossible to guide the cable onto the spool.

Since I don't winch in the dirt and mud, that isn't an issue. Also synthetic doesn't turn into the projectile that steel does if it does happen to break.

Size for size synthetic is as strong as steel and I have heard it is 7 times lighter (if weight is an issue). It also supposedly lasts longer.

I went with AmSteel-Blue...cuz it comes in half a dozen or so colors :) Had to have a red cable for my red truck, right?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Rod, what is your strap/future cable sliding across at the top of the ramp?

For that lift, just the ramp. It was checked and rechecked for sharp edges. A roller is being prepped and will be installed once the new cable is obtained.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Thanks guys will start looking for some Rope. Checked the Warn site and I think 30 foot will work on my spool.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I switched from wire cable to synthetic winch line and am pleased with the performance. Synthetic line does need to be protected from sunlight as much as possible. UV rays can shorten the service life considerably. The synthetic line is small enough that I have to make sure that it is on the pulley of my snatch block....it can squeeze between the pulley and the side plate if I don't take up the line slack before initiating the pull. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Also replaced worn wire rope with Syn rope. It's great. Need different fair lead though.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Rod, I went with synthetic. It is easier to handle (no burrs) and it doesn't kink or crimp like steel cable making proper winding on the spool unnecessary. Since I sit in the car as I winch it is impossible to guide the cable onto the spool.

Since I don't winch in the dirt and mud, that isn't an issue. Also synthetic doesn't turn into the projectile that steel does if it does happen to break.

Size for size synthetic is as strong as steel and I have heard it is 7 times lighter (if weight is an issue). It also supposedly lasts longer.

I went with AmSteel-Blue...cuz it comes in half a dozen or so colors :) Had to have a red cable for my red truck, right?

Some years ago I found myself "roped" into couple years of managing a specialized Marine / Barge / Tug company that worked large hydro dam rework on the Columbia River.

We utilized AmSteel Blue lines up to 1,000 tons capacity and with several thousand HP tugs towing several thousand ton barges and cranes we really worked these lines hard. We never lost a tow however we did once break one 507 ton half of a 1,000 ton tow bridle....the other half of the bridle held the barge swing and no one was injured. The sound of a 500 ton line parting makes a shotgun blast sound a clock tick.

We had a barge that had a 3 foot long patch where a 2 1/2 inch steel tow bridle parted and ripped the 1/4 inch hull tank open....syn-rope is by far the safest way to go.

Once in a while we would have to cut a some highly loaded lines that would be frozen with water 3 ft in dia......we would use a pair of 880 Stihl chain saws with 4 foot bars to cut through the ice and then part the AmSteel 3 1/2 lines........cutting wire rope is very dangerous .

Syn-rope is by far the way to go....

Back in the Stone Age I was involved with various hair-no-brain projects to aero-tow various aircraft and then the tow line was sized in such a manner that the line would break before over stressing the tug aircraft or towed aircraft........some days I felt a bit underpaid with a broken tow line and that sinking feeling........oh to be young and dumb.....

Drive on.......(stay out of the bite of the ......line)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Next time I need new rope for anything it will be from Todd Stauffer owner Custom Splice.

Once you go rope you'll never go back to cable!

http://www.customsplice.com/

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Sent an email to the Custom-splice company and hope to call tomorrow to place an order. As you can see there is a flat web strap on there now. The "conversion" chart on the Custom-splice page doesn't show a conversion that I recognize as my winch. Hopefully I can give them enough information to make it happen.

Rod

While I was posting here I got an answer back from Customsplice. Now, that's service.

rl

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 1 month later...

Bike is loaded for the trip to Florida next week. Tried to do another video but none of the cameras stayed running for some reason. Worst problem was the Garmin falling about 6 feet to the asphalt and now is not working at all. Very happy with the loading and found a new way to move the ramp around that was a lot easier than carrying it.

Have had no problems with the truck starting with all the moves and preparations. Hoping that continues, at least until I get to Florida.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Do you have any pics or more videos of your garage setup on the back of the truck and the size specs on it? I'd love to see what you came up with?

Have you thought about thing pieces of aluminum on the edge of the ramp where the small wheels ride on the chock just for a little quieter operation?

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Just fyi if you need a light duty winch cable harbor freight sells them for like $30 dollars, every store i have ever been to has them in stock. They are all i use on my wagon trailers because compared to the alternatives i found it is very reasonably priced, and can be replaced easily if damaged. the down side is it is made in China.

I will post some video soon. Planned to have the first real loading recorded but that didn't work. Will try again with the unload. My synthetic came from Kansas at about the same price.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived