Safety plus steering unit

2005 Southwind

Just bought a holiday rambler with a safety plus steering unit. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems due to the unit being installed? The rig has low miles (36000) so I would think the front end components are ok. My first time with a 35 footer but it sure doesnt drive like my old 25 foot bt cruiser. Have to pay close attention to steering going down the road. Is it harder to steer a bigger rig?

thanks in advance for replys

A Safe-T-Plus improved our steering on both motorhomes we had one installed. But, they do need to be adjusted the first time and need to be loosened before an alignment and readjusted after the alignment is complete. Maybe someone left out a step?

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

First trip from the dealer home made the Safe-T-Plus addition a smart thing. I don't think 99HR has problems with the Safe-T-Plus but was just asking if the Safe-T-Plus adds any concerns.

A Safe-T-Plus is not a cover up for suspension problems, it just takes sudden forces ike a wind gust or a tire blow out and minimizes the impact to the steering wheel.

Since there is a shock absorber component as well as springs in the Safe-T-Plus, age could be an issue. 99HR mention 36,000 miles so I would say there is a few years of life left in the Safe-T-Plus.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I gather that this is a used RV? It would be my guess that the previous owner added that "safety-plus" to the RV because the handling was poor. What is the wheelbase ratio of the unit? If it is less than 50% that is probably part of the issue. Another is proper load balancing. Have you weighed it to know what the weight is on each wheel, or at least to get the axle weights and the weight for each side? RVs that are heavy on one side compared to the other are pretty common and if very much off it will impact the handling. If it were me, I would first have the front end and steering parts checked to be sure that they are in good condition, then I'd find a place to get the weight of each wheel to understand the loading. Once you know these things you can perhaps improve the handling but you need to know the problem, first.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is a great thread on the Irv2 forum just for Monaco/HR owners. Since you are at 35ft there are some known occasional issues with these units.

That thread is our go to place for any Monaco related issues with our coach. They are an amazing resource.

When we bought ours there was certainly a learning curve in steering. We visited Henderson Lineup in Oregon and learned a lot about the coach.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived