Jump to content

cdl question regarding farmers in washington state.

runaway parents

Recommended Posts

ND and Minn also have the farmer CDL exempt program for within 150 miles of the farm. We drive sugar beet trucks for a ND farmer and the wife just has her regular drivers licenses. We don't pass any scales on our runs, but no log book or medical cert is required and we work 12 hours or more straight each shift (DOT only allows 11 hours driving in 24 hour period). We even see 16 year old farm kids driving big trucks. It's crazy and seems like a free for all, but it works well and after the first day everyone is driving like a professional.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes for WA you do need to stop. You MUST be farm plated, you MUST have your DOT# on it, and you MUST be the producer or working direct for the producer, and what you got on MUST be produced by them. Basically if you get a bill of lading when you pick it up you better think twice about hauling it. They can check weight, paperwork, walk-around the obvious, and whether or not they can do a level 1 on you is pretty detailed (ie: you better really know your stuff before trying to decline it). There are a ton of other things but you better give us some context first.


Even though I am CDL, me and farm plated trucks and Wallula scale have a good 15 some years of history.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep--very state specific. Here in IL we are considered commercial if you drive to the second nearest elevator rather than the closest one (and we had to fight for that). And you can drive a farm plated vehicle w/o a CDL if you meet the requirements---but you HAVE to have a medical card for any trailer over 10K. IN and WI are totally different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVers Online University


Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Dish For My RV.

RV Cable Grip

RV Cable Grip

All the water you need...No matter where you go

Country Thunder Iowa

Nomad Internet

Rv Share

RV Air.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo

  • Create New...