5th-Wheel Hitch Advice needed

DIESELSUBMARINER

Hello Guys,

I’m getting ready to pick up a Teton Fifth Wheel in 3 weeks and am looking for a decent 5th wheel hitch.

Due to my modified 1996 F350, the standard mounting to the frame with L- Brackest will not work.. A gooseneck, that mounts between the frame will not work either. I Intend on bolting a steel plate across the frame, similar to larger trucks. The Fiftwheel Rails will then be bolted to the steel plate.... I know, long story..

Now the real question : Which hitch? i would like to find one with min 25K pulling rating, so i can eventually mount it on a larger Truck.

I would prefer a single Jar locking type, due to reliability.

The one i found so far, priced reasonable was a Husky 26K Silver series...

Any advice on this hitch or a recommendation?

I don’t want to go with a "cheap china” hitch, but also don’t want to have to purchase an expensive air hitch at this time....

thanks a lot

We ran several years with a Reese 20K Pro hitch and liked it OK. But we changed to a Trailer Saver TS3 air ride hitch. It is not cheap, but love the ride with the hitch. The 5th wheel hitch head is a commerical design and when it locks, It is locked.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Our neighbor RVer had a Reese 20K Pro that he pulled his toy hauler 5th wheel with . That hitch let go twice , resulting in damage to the 5th and a new box for his truck . Long story , but those times happened within a quarter mile of each other and both times every thing was done same as the years past . Something wore or stretched . He ordered a new hitch . Exactly which one , I don't know .

Goes around , comes around .

I've got a Pullrite Super 5th hitch that I really like. It has a single jaw that rotates closed 270 degrees around the kingpin, so there is no chance of the jaws opening and releasing the trailer. I have the 20K pound version, but they do offer a 24K version as well. Not quite the 25K you mentioned, but they are made in the USA and reasonably priced.

http://www.pullrite.com/products/isr-series-super-5th-industry-standard-rails/isr-series-super-5th-24k

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We have been using a 20K Reese hitch for 9 1/2 years and 75K miles and never had a problem. Interesting threads (there's a couple of them on air hitches) as I am considering an air hitch for a better ride for both us and fifth wheel. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advice so far.

The old Tetons are a little lighter at the pin.

We will be picking up a Royal, and as per spec sheet it's supposed to be around 3000 empty.

I believe the 25k husky is sufficient, but I have no experience with the fifth wheel hitch manufacturers.

I do know however, that I can not go any lighter than a 24k hitch because of a max weight of 23000lbs per spec sheet.

My tow cent comment is to get an air hitch, I wish I had done that when we started. I believe it will be gentler on the fifth wheel and the driver than a non cushioned hitch like our Reese. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

following along.

I am just starting to shop for a hitch for my chevy 3500 dually. I will be towing our full-time 31' coachman.

With soo many opinions, choices and prices its tough to know where to start.

I dont need the cheapest or lots of "extras", im just looking for reliability and value over the the long run.

Several friends are using the Curt Q25 they really like it.

Bought on line free drop ship right from Curt. Was $600. Not bad at all. Watch pin wt limits.

You can change to an air ride later and sell the Curt.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Archived