Finding HDT Friendly Campgrounds

Snowflake

One question...do they ever stop asking how you get that car up there?

No. My usual response is "4 strong guys just lift it up and I back under it". It's fun watching them ponder that for a minute or two.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

No. My usual response is "4 strong guys just lift it up and I back under it". It's fun watching them ponder that for a minute or two.

I've started to say that in that large box behind the cab there is a pretty good size lift with a large suction cup on the end that just covers the top of the car - and up she goes!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

One question...do they ever stop asking how you get that car up there?

I ust had a guy ask me that ( again) when I was setting up here at the TT Park in Hershey Pa. I told him with him and 3 other volunteers to help me lift if off...he left rather quickly :lol:

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I am always asked about my Volvo tow vehicle. Questions are usually about, cost, fuel economy, why I choose this tow vehicle, insurance, is it difficult to drive, is there a bunk in there and can they look inside. The last question was from a trucker, who asked the DW, "Do you think you have enough power? I told her next time to smile and say "We do now!"

At one truck stop, after we had parked for the night, I spent about 30 minutes with a trucker (who was getting ready to retire) and wanted to use his truck to haul his RV. I told him about the HDT forum and the National Rally. I showed him the Jackalopee, brake controller and ET hitch and put in a plug for Henry. We discussed licensing and insurance. I showed him my doggie steps. He was taking notes.

I enjoy the conversations with fellow RV'ers and consider myself to be an ambassador of the "Dark Side."

I found this forum by accident, while looking for a vehicle to replace my F550. My first post was with my name and phone number asking for someone to call me and discuss this HDT stuff. Within 30 minutes four people called me and answered many of my questions. I wrote down their names, phone numbers and comments. I still have these notes (somewhere?). These guys were great!

Mr. Seas drove his "Gentle Giant" to my home so the DW and I could look at a 770. We had looked at, and were considering, a 730. After looking at Scott's 770, we decided that was the way to go.

Just my $.02, for what it is worth. :)

I'm almost afraid to look at some of them. I will be like you Refuzn. Once I see one I would think "Yeah, that's what I want" until I look at another...........

If you are considering buying an HDT, then you really MUST go to the HDT National Rally, that is quickly approaching, before you buy. You do not need to own an HDT to attend. But, be forewarned, you will go into "information overload." Bring a notebook and a camera and ask lots of questions of lots of people.

There is also a West Coast HDT Rally and an East Coast HDT Rally. I believe that the National Rally draws the most people.

I wish I could attend this year, but I cannot.

So far it is our experience that you cannot be an introvert to own an HDT. My buddy also has a HDT carrying a smart and we have parked side by each at different camp grounds. It doesn't take long before the whole camp ground knows us. People stop by and want to know how the smart car is unloaded, they want to see the inside of the truck and the same as most "why did we build this truck to pull our 5th?" It must have cost you a fortune etc.... I enjoy talking to most of the people and educating them about the added safety when towing with a HDT.

Looking forward to heading south this winter and possibly meeting some HDT owners in person and swapping war stories.

Darrell pilot of Snowflake.

2005 Volvo 670 HDT singled "Snowflake"

Pilot "Darrell"

Navigator "Susan"

2014 Goldrush Nugget by Durango - 40'

2008 Smart Car Passion Cabriolet "George"

If you are considering buying an HDT, then you really MUST go to the HDT National Rally, that is quickly approaching, before you buy. You do not need to own an HDT to attend. But, be forewarned, you will go into "information overload." Bring a notebook and a camera and ask lots of questions of lots of people.

There is also a West Coast HDT Rally and an East Coast HDT Rally. I believe that the National Rally draws the most people.

I wish I could attend this year, but I cannot.

I'm already registered for the rally in Hutch. I used to drive big trucks for a living so to me it is just a real smart way to go!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I'm already registered for the rally in Hutch. I used to drive big trucks for a living so to me it is just a real smart way to go!

Being an ex-trucker is a good thing. I was not. I spent many early Sunday mornings in the Walmart parking lot. I would set out big orange rubber cones and practice backing and parking, over and over and over and over . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and over again.

When that got boring, I would pull into some of the tight parking areas such that I could only back out, with multiple turns. One time, I thought I would never get out, but I did. :wacko:

It is very helpful to have someone watching you practice and coaching to help you correct the mistakes before too much repetition turns them into muscle memory.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

It is very helpful to have someone watching you practice and coaching to help you correct the mistakes before too much repetition turns them into muscle memory.

You are absolutely correct. I neglected to say that the first time, at the "WallyWorld Proving Ground," was with a trucker friend. He backed up and parked and I watched. I then parked and he watched. He showed me how to set up a back up maneuver.

The best advice I can give anyone is to GO SLOW and GET OUT AND LOOK. I see way to many that try to back in at 20 mph and wonder why they are having a tough time. If you want some good entertainment go to a busy boat launch!

They are backing like that because they have a 6 speed manual with dumbass 40 mile an hour reverse like our Dodge won ton :D:D

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If you want some good entertainment go to a busy boat launch!

It doesn't have to be a busy boat launch. The number of errors I can make backing in or loading the smart is directly proportionate to the number of spectators watching. The mathematical equation calls for quadruple the errors for every self appointed "helper".

2014 smart Fortwo

It doesn't have to be a busy boat launch. The number of errors I can make backing in or loading the smart is directly proportionate to the number of spectators watching. The mathematical equation calls for quadruple the errors for every self appointed "helper".

Amen ;)

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Oh ya, boats...trucks...smarts..and...airplanes.....ya ever notice that the more people are crammed into the airplane the harder the darn thing "craters" into the runway on landing......AND every accountant and used car salesman passenger suddenly becomes a expert judge of airplane operations......then there is the crews snide remark....."well at least no one will land right behind us until the guys with the hot patch and roller fill in the "crater" we just made......"

Now of course on the next leg of the flight you have a chance to get even with the herd in the cattle-car-section.....likely the weather is hot the elevation is high and the runway is fairly short (S. America) so the old albatross will just get off the ground and you will have about 3 feet altitude crossing the departure end of the runway......all you hear is that sucking sound as everyone inhales in the back......

Drive on........(Turn off the backup cam if things look bad....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

IGNORE the self appointed helpers who think you can not do it with out their help. They have no financial repercussions when they back you in to something. Unless I specifically ask someone (someone I know) for assistance the only backing assistant I follow is Alicia. She knows how much distance we need for our slides and has a financial interest in making sure nothing happens to the truck and trailer. Even when the RV park sends an assistant to help us locate our spot and park, he is largely ignored. I really frustrated one as he kept telling me to keep going but I stopped when I lost site of Alicia. If I lose site of her (or another approved assistant) I come to a complete stop until I regain site of her and am told to start moving again. In this case I lost site of her because she was double checking his side to truly make sure we were still good.

The best backing advice I was ever given is basically get a running start. No not as fast as you can but when you are at the point where you think you are ready to start backing, pull forward some more, if you can, before you start backing. This allows you to gradually start the turn after already moving backwards instead of immediately trying to make the turn as soon as you start moving backwards.

When I was younger I use to have a JetSki. Way too many boat ramp stories. Mind boggling how many people would need the entire 3 vehicle wide ramp just for themselves. For fun after watching one of these need every inch of the ramp guys back in, I would back in next to them, first shot. But again I would get a running start and not constantly have to correct myself all the way down the ramp. Their first fear is you are going to hit them, after all it is fresh in their memory how poorly they just back down the ramp. Then they get pissed at you for showing them up, especially if you back in to the side of the ramp with less room. If they ever said anything I would just that is the advantage of lots of practice (but mostly it is about setting yourself set up correctly before you actually start backing, corrections lead to over corrections - don't be afraid to pull forward and get straight again). My favorites where the ones who were just happy the trailer was in the water even though not straight. Then could not understand why the boat does not want to go on the trailer even once they get out of the boat and try to guide it on by hand!

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

LOL, I never said to listen to those "helpers", Rick..I just said that you will certainly mess it up when they are around. And they will let you "know" you wouldn't have messed it up if you had "only let them help". :rolleyes:

And speaking of boat launch stories, I told the ex that she either needed to learn to back the trailer into the water or how to drive the boat onto it. She chose the backing job. The first time she did it I was so amazed that she got the trailer in the water straight, on the first try, that I ran the boat onto the trailer crooked. :wacko:

2014 smart Fortwo

Once in a while a would-be helper will talk about front wheel placement and give me feedback when I've got the right angle. I'll get out and check on the advice and, if accurate, I'll cheerfully accept the help. "A little more to the left" is not helpful. Backing the trailer in very dark areas without lights, like some large campgrounds, is my special dread. We always try to get in before dark, especially if we know we have a backin spot. I can quickly back into a space during the day, but at night trying to follow a flashlight with the mirrors is difficult times twenty. Little questions occur, like "What are you pointing the light at?"

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Worst is when a "helper" has a very bright flashlight and points it in your mirror. Dad had a million candle power spot.............. :(

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have shut down the truck, either the Dodge back in the day or the Volvo, got out and just start talking to folks. When they ask if I'm going to finish backing in, I politely tell them that yes I will when I'm not being distracted by folks pointing flashlights or waving their arms. I'll block a road in a heartbeat before I do damage to my property or someone else's due to bad instruction.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We also use the big rig, best bets book, but the best way to find out is call.

I have on numerous times done research and the RV park website say their sites are 65 feet max. Once we pull in we find out they are really 90 foot sites. I asked one owner if they had large sites why they did not advertise the long sites. I was told that since legal length was 65' and no one would drive a over length rv why would they advertise longer sites. I explained there are a few rigs out there which are longer than 65'. They have since changed their advertising to reflect the true length of their sites.

On our FB group I always post pictures of the parks we stay at. If they park with accommodate us, it will accommodate most anyone.

Travels of the Lipson Chicken Coop

Ed and Patti Lipson
with their 4 parrots

Full timing in a
2008 Powerhouse Coach
Enclosed Trailer
2016 Smart Car

Archived