Troubleshooting and repairing Windows 10 problems

RV_

Folks, while I have had no issues with the Anniversary updates on eight different machines that have both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows versions, Intel chipsets and AMD chipsets, 2-8 GB RAM, SSDs and Hard drives and two drive SSD before HD systems, I have deferred for my main system.I have had issues with power and battery on my Surface Pro 3 which have been solved. None of my systems were Windows 10 at purchase. The latest hardware of mine has been the Surface Pro that came with Windows 8.1. It had minor driver issues that caused less battery time than the expected 9-10 hours. I will post a separate thread about that.

Ed Bott on ZDNET is my go to tech writer when I want the fix, not the ego. HIs latest article belongs in everyone's bookmarks that runs Windows. This article is extensive and includes detailed instructions, illustrations and screen shots. Also throughout the article are live links to other related detailed articles for specific fixes.

Excerpt:

"The Anniversary Update to Windows 10, version 1607, has been rolling out for the past few weeks, and some early adopters are experiencing issues. Here's Ed Bott's guide to some specific fixes for known issues along with time-tested troubleshooting tools and techniques.

[This article was originally published in September 2015. It has been extensively revised and updated since then. The most recent revision was August 29, 2016.]

In June 2016, a month before the free Windows 10 upgrade offer ended, Microsoft said that 350 million devices were actively running Windows 10. With new PC sales and last-minute upgrades, that number is probably around 400 million now.

In multiple interviews over the past year, Microsoft executives and managers have told me, on and off the record, that the telemetry, the user data that identifies potential problems, looks very good. They also insist that customer satisfaction, as measured through independent surveys, is high.

But with a user base that large, even a tiny percentage of problems represents a very large number. Given the diversity of hardware and software in the Windows ecosystem, I would be shocked if the Anniversary Update to Windows 10, version 1607, were truly problem-free. And sure enough, the latest round of updates comes with its own litany of complaints.

I've read reports of the Anniversary Update resulting in systems that freeze after the upgrade completes. Microsoft says it's aware of the issue, which it says affects "a small number" of users. In an official forum thread, a Microsoft spokesperson confirms the issue, which seems to occur most often on systems configured with two drives:

From users posting here and visiting the Microsoft Store, we have been able to collect log files and are looking into why a small set of users with the two drive configuration (SSD as OS with a second data drive) are experiencing this while the majority with the same configuration proceed as normal.

My experience confirms that this issue is sporadic; I have multiple systems configured with system files on an SSD and data on a separate drive and have not experienced any freezing issues.

Other issues with the Anniversary Update can, unfortunately, be traced directly back to Redmond. An issue that causes some webcams to stop working after a minute or so, for example, is the result of a design decision by Microsoft engineers, who apparently didn't talk to customers before disabling some widely used codecs.

Another problem affects the PowerShell Desired State Configuration feature. (Contrary to some headlines, it doesn't "break PowerShell.") That issue was caused by Microsoft shipping an update package that was missing a crucial file. A replacement patch should be available this week.

The good news is that the latter two issues will be fixed in short order. Microsoft says it will ship a patch for the webcam flaw in September. (If you need to use your older USB webcam in the interim, the registry fix suggested in this Stack Overflow thread might help.) The bad news is that similar glitches are nearly certain to occur again, as an inevitable by-product of the "Windows as a service" model that delivers new features alongside bug fixes and security updates.

As part of the research for my book Windows 10 Inside Out (the second edition is coming out this fall), I've spent a lot of time on official and unofficial support forums and talking to fellow support professionals who are in the trenches with businesses. I have also received a fair number of reader emails and have gone through some remote troubleshooting with a handful of readers.

My impression, based on 25 years of Windows troubleshooting experience, is that this release of Windows is above average in terms of reliability. But it's far from perfect, and Microsoft still has some serious work to do to get its update process under control.

If you'd prefer not to deal with update-related issues, you can and probably should wait to install the Anniversary Update. Based on experience with the initial Windows 10 launch (build 10240) and the version 1511 release, most issues that arose after the initial release in the first 60 days were resolved. That's the Windows 10 telemetry feature working as expected.

For the complete article with screen shots and instructions go here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/troubleshooting-and-repairing-windows-10/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my Gateway NE-522 8GB RAM 1TB HD 2013 computer to the WA upgrade from Win 10 PRO edition 1511. The problem I am having is that even though i used the download from a USB and uploaded to version 1607; it now has downgraded to home. :(:( I checked the product key and it is from the ACER E-15 that I sold back in February 2016. How in the world did this happen! :wacko::blink:

The computer seems to work well. I even downloaded the YouCam 7 and it works. I now have to figure out how to recover all the files that I saved on a USB stick using EaseUs To Do.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Pieere,

Call MS and see what they say.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived