Looking for advice on timeline to travel up to Alaska

Enterprise

On our 2015 trip we crossed the border May 1st at Sweet Grass MT. Our volunteer work had a start date of May 17 but we wanted to do some sightseeing along the way and allow for any weather delays,which turned out to be a day. We weren't in a hurry the as we wanted to savor what might be the only trip we would do to Alaska. After our trip we have decided to go back in 18 and plan to see much we missed and return to those places we couldn't get enough of.

Many campgrounds are not opened till the end of the month but enough are to see you through.

If I didn't need to be there as we did I would cross mid May from MT.

The last week of May; first week of June is an ideal time to cross the Canadian border. Banff/Jasper will be beautiful with snow still on the mountains. If you're into hiking some higher trails may still be difficult to do though. We explored this area a few times both the end of May and the end of August. The mountains don't look the same in August...they are black. We much preferred the 'look' in May/June and there will be less people. However, hiking was better in August. If you're doing Alaska...take them in both directions!

I am starting my research on driving from Minnesota to Alaska in summer of 2018. Wondering what month to be crossing into Canada heading to Banff, i.e.; May or June? Any thoughts on places to se, resources to take with, etc.

Pleasure trip? If so leave earlier rather than later.

We crossed into Canada at Sumas, WA, just west of Vancover, April 27th and had great weather.

Some others a week to 10 days behind us, hit snow. Others in mid May has massive amounts of rain around Dawson Creek which totally washed out the roads we had gone across earlier. They had to detour many miles to get to Dawson Creek, BC.

No doubt, from what is have seen in blogs for the last 8 years or so, if your best chance to avoid snow or rain, cross into Canada in the 2nd or 3rd week of June, maybe the 1st week. Then you get more bugs though in June and July.

In later July and August the chances of rain increase in Alaska. Less rain in April and May and on into early June.

Mainly what I am trying to say, be prepared for weather, no matter when you go. Do your best to not have a committed schedule as weather will impact your plans. If you can wait for a few days for the weather to change it makes for a more enjoyable trip.

Check our blog in our signature for what we experienced. Caution, I am way behind in updating the blog is only complete up to about the 4th of July.

Check out this years Alaska topic in this forum: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=121259 There are also links to 2014 & 2015 topics and links to several blogs of Alaska trips from years past.

You are going to spend $10k+, and put 10k+ miles on your rig ( my '06 trip was $17k & 17k miles from S Texas, she counted every penny) if you are not schedule driven why bother with one? I worked in AK for a short while, and have done 2 RV trips, going again next summer, my choice is to go later and stay as long as I can. Let all the early birds feed the mosquitos, and some of the road work get done ! I suggest to everyone else to go early as possible though !

Archived