Colorado

DFLOW

Ouray/Silverton, Taylor Park, Pagosa Springs, Gunnison/Crested Butte area, Lake City - these are some of our favorites.

All great choices! Silverton is a neat town to stay in.

If you stay near Gunnison and have a toad or Truck, take a ride over to Pitkin for lunch, it's like stepping back in time. I think there's only one paved road from the south to get there that comes off Hwy 50. We've been through there on motorcycles and it's awesome. If you have 4x4 and want something a little more adventurous, take a ride up to the alpine tunnel just out side of Pitkin. It's amazing and the road is an old rail road grade so actually not too steep or any switch backs, but it is quite the trek.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Any suggestions for a non-touristy, serene, pristine, and reasonable place to spend September, and a little of August in Colorado?

I thought we were talking about Colorado? :lol:

Sundance RV Park in Cortez. You can see Mesa Verde looking our of the door. Silverton, Durango, Silverton and Ouray are day trips.

We're leaving for there in a day or two.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

That's a great time of year to be in the mountains, I'd head to Ouray. They have a couple of campgrounds there in/near town and of course the hot springs.. If you want to save a few buck and be closer to big box stores (Target, etc) then Montrose is only about 30 minutes North and has Campgrounds. Silverton is very nice but I don't think I'd want to camp for a month plus there!

Randy Charrette

2014 Kodiak 240BHSL

www.pedaladventures.com (our travels)

www.axelproject.com (our non-profit)

Never been, but looks like a nice place. Did spend a week in South Fork, Co, which is not too far away.

http://www.goldpanrv.com/RV_PARK_RATES.html

No cell service up there and a 23-mile gravel road drive....sounds like a 'serene' place! :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Circle the Wagons in La Veta. Small quite spotless owner on property park. Short walk to "downtown". Old fashioned grocery store with great ice cream. Easy drive to Walsenburg and Trinidad. We stay there when ever we are in the area.

Have you guys ever been over to Westfliffe? Not to far from the area you are talking about and a beautiful drive and town!! Also not a whole lot of tourists yet!!

Any suggestions for a non-touristy, serene, pristine, and reasonable place to spend September, and a little of August in Colorado?

As long as you stay well west of the front range I-25 corridor, and well north or south of the I-70 corridor, most of the rest of the state qualifies. Your choice depends more on personal preferences & desired activities: fishing, hiking, ATV'ing, Jeeping, gold panning or just sitting under a shade tree watching the deer or a river. I lived in the northern Co mountains in Steamboat Springs for 10 yrs and loved that area. Now my summer home is in the southern mountains above South Fork Co and I love that area. I visit all the areas mentioned above during my summer travels and like them all for different reasons.

The Platoro area is interesting especially if you like fishing, but yes its remote. We ride our ATV's from South Fork over the mountain to Platoro once a year. They have a local restaurant there that makes a great green chile cheeseburger. The Platoro reservoir claims to be the highest man made lake in N America at over 10,000 ft elev.

Jim

I've been enjoying the last week and a half at Mountaindale Cabins and RV Park. It's a beautiful park with very spacious sites about 15-20 miles outside of Colorado Springs. Easy access to Cheyenne State Park, North Cheyenne Park, Colorado Springs, Pueblo. We took an off-road trip up Phantom Canyon Rd to Cripple Creek; there was a Veterans Motorcycle rally going on, but we were still able to do the Molie Kathleen Gold Mine Tour without a wait; the tour takes you 1000 feet underground and you can learn how miners worked to get the gold out of those hills.

The RV park seems to fill up on the weekends, but there are open spaces during the week. Great friendly staff.

--

Roger Wilson

Callsign: W0GER

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40'

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

• 4 weeks later...

We did a little Colorado tour this summer, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Buena Vista, Breckenridge and Creede. We are concidering returning to Buena Vista and Creede for a month each next year. We made trips to Silverton and Ouray, Fairplay and a few other towns and could see staying in Silverton a couple weeks as well but if you have an ATV it would be easier to stay a little longer.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Archived