Grand Junction to Durango and Back

hobopals

I'm considering going from Durango to Grand Junction. I'm trying to find out more about the roads. My mountain directories are in the trailer which is getting a slide awning so I can't refer to them. I have a friend who lives in Provo UT and she wants to see if she'd enjoy solo travel so I thought I'd meet her. I'd like to take the least scary route, but I can't tell by researching what that route is. So, as I always have in the past, I come to the people I know will help me. If anyone has traveled this route, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I want my friend to feel comfortable (she may camp with me or she may even have her own trailer by then and we'll travel around a bit for a week). Either way, I want it to be a pleasant experience for her (and for me). My new trailer is about 5 feet longer than my last one at 25.5 feet. I'll be appreciative of any advice/route you can provide.

travelswithmrnimble@blogspot.com

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel

Forest River Surveyor

The least scary route would be to go over to Cortez and take 145 north to Telluride and then pick up 62 to Ridgeway/Montrose/Delta an finally Grand Junction.

The shortest would be 550 north out of Durango to Silverton/Ouray/Ridgeway/Montrose, etc. You will have a very steep drive from Silverton to Ouray - probably not what you had in mind.

Have a great trip! It's a favorite part of the country for us.

2gypsies,

Thank you SO much for your response. It's exactly the information I needed as I wanted to avoid 550 north or south to Montrose. You have put my mind at ease. I was in Telluride many years ago with my husband, and I've always wanted to go back so you've done me two favors.

Least scary by my wife standards ( scared of heights or looking down.) would be Durango, Cortez, Monticello UT and continue to I-70 back to Grand Jct.

Northbound through Telluride may not be to bad as you drive close to the wall. You may not not want to return that way as I could not take my wife either direction. Also northbound, the grades are not as steep

Are last trip was Montrose to Durango. Routing was Montrose, Ridgway, Placerville, to Route 141 near Naturita, Dove Creek, Cortez, Durango.

One way of your trip should be Route 141 from Dove Creek to Grand Jct althou it has been a long time since being on that road from Naturita north the southern portion was in good shape.

There is nothing wrong with the road from Durango to Ouray but it has long pulls with the road width in a few places being to narrow to add guard rails that occasionally freaks people out. It is beautiful but all ways have their beauty.

Thank you ms60ocb for your input and advice. I'd like to see Telluride, again, so I'll take the route 2gypsies suggested on the way to Grand Junction. If I feel I'll be nervous on the way back I'll have your route as an alternative. Thank you very much.

I've been on 550 Durango to Ouray and back as a passenger. It really is the scariest road to me so I and anyone else on the road with me will be safer if I don't drive it. I did drive from Durango to Silverton and back myself, and it was no problem. I also pulled my last trailer up the pacific coast Road. I was headed north so it wasn't bad, but as the driver I really didn't see anything because I was too busy watching the road. My daughter enjoyed it, however. Thank you, again, for your response.

Agree with 2Gypsies on the route for sure. As far as Telluride just be aware it can be a bit tight in there towing a camper and parking may be real tough. If you have bikes you may want to park in the dirt pull off at Society Turn and just bike in on the paved path or the Valley Floor single track for the day.

Have fun!

Thank you rcharrette. That's great information to have. I'll be going once with my daughter without a trailer, but with my friend I'll be towing so knowing ahead of time about the parking situation is invaluable. I'm always worried about getting myself in a spot where I can't get out! I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to write. Makes traveling for a solo traveler so much easier (and safer).

Archived