AC energy effient

Devilishjim

If the unit is oversized, it will cycle off as soon as the air reaches temperature and not have the opportunity to pull much moisture from the air.

The slightly undersized unit will let the room temperature slip a bit, but while running, it will be dehumidifying the RV which will make it more comfortable.

Ken

An oversized unit with the fan speed on LOW would perform similarly to an undersized unit, correct? It would take longer to reach the desired temp.

An oversized unit with the fan speed on LOW would perform similarly to an undersized unit, correct? It would take longer to reach the desired temp.

Once it reaches the set temperature it will cycle off too quickly and won't remove enough humidity if you are in a high humidity area. Down in south Texas we just installed a dehumidifier in our "Texas room" because the A/C in the building gets it cool too quickly. Having a separate unit for removal of moisture is a better solution in some areas.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Once it reaches the set temperature it will cycle off too quickly and won't remove enough humidity if you are in a high humidity area. Down in south Texas we just installed a dehumidifier in our "Texas room" because the A/C in the building gets it cool too quickly. Having a separate unit for removal of moisture is a better solution in some areas.

I have been in high temp/high humidity areas. On HIGH, the A/Cs still take a while to cycle. On LOW, they would take even longer. But hey, whatever works.

• 1 month later...

Years ago we vacationed in our 18' Nomad TT in July at Katherines Landing, at Mojave, AZ. It was 117 during the day and although it was "a dry heat" there was NO WAY the evap cooler we had came close to keeping up. It wasnt a turbokool but another brand. It functioned well but just not the right tool for the job. Just an FYI.

I echo the whole noisy machines thing. I wonder if anyone has considered using the furnace fan for cooling instead of using it only for heating. Since most of us understand how inefficient these furnaces are, just eliminate it for heat and repurpose the fan for cooling.

I am kinda thinking out loud as I had an Alfa that had basement cooling, which we liked alot and miss alot, but perhaps some sort of basement mounted cooling system(mini-split) and use the furnace fan??

Any thoughts??

Marcel

Archived