Kelderman vs. MOR/ryde

spindrift

I just got back from the Redwood National Rally in Shipshewana, IN. As part of the Rally, MOR/ryde offered a tour of their facilities and a very good discount on both their IS and disc brake systems. I can tell you that the company is crazeee busy installing their IS system. All bays were full and many Redwood owners took advantage of the Rally special.

I'm well aware of Kelderman's reputation in the LD/MD truck market; it's top notch. I've yet to hear of a single person who has their air suspension system installed on a fifth wheel RV. The cost of the Kelderman system isn't that different from the MOR/ryde IS system, which greatly surprised me.

Can anyone shed any light on the Kelderman system for use in an RV?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I've never seen a Kelderman system on a RV. I usually associate them with a 4-link air ride system either for custom 4x4 or high end dually's like a Kodiak.

There is a Dexter / Ridewell system here http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/420621582. Space Craft has them as an option for suspension.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

They have put them on a few New Horizons. But I have no personal experience with them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Neither have I and that's why I ask the question.

https://kelderman.com/shop/leaf-spring-axle-trailer-air-suspension

I didn't realize they had that system. The only thing I saw that I would be concerned about was the leveling valve location. Hanging down like that, I would be afraid of road debris ripping it off.

Just from looks, not having talked to anyone, I say it would be an improvement over the standard leaf spring in the same line as the Center Point system from Lippert.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Since our trailers are pretty much static in weight once loaded, the variable nature of air suspension is not as much of an advantage compared to the HDT suspension where you go from pin load on/ pin load off.

To me, having independent suspension like MOR/rye IS or the Dexter TorFlex is a real benefit as the interplay between the wheels on each end of an axle is eliminated. Most air suspensions maintain the rigid axle between wheels.

IMHO

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The Kelderman location is very close to where I spend the summers. They built the ramps for my Vehicross to load in the garage of my trailer. I looked at their system when I had my trailer built, but they didn't do a full package at the time, like the Ridewell system that Spacecraft uses most often. I don't know if Wyatt has installed anything else. I'm sure they would if that's what the buyer wanted.

It's a family business in Southeast Iowa. Heard they have a nice laser for cutting up to 1/2 inch steel and are cutting product for a well known aftermarket truck bumper company. They put up a huge new building section over the past couple years so business must be pretty good. Might try to visit and ask for a tour of their RV operation. I will try to take some photos and maybe a video. It won't be as good as our Canadian friend but hopefully not too bad.

Rod

oops, went to their site and see they advertise 1 inch steel cutting.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I just had the MorRyde IS system w/disc brakes installed a couple months ago. Please, please, please don't tell me how much the discounted installations for the rally were.

OK - go ahead. Tell me....

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I've never seen a Kelderman system on a RV. I usually associate them with a 4-link air ride system either for custom 4x4 or high end dually's like a Kodiak.

There is a Dexter / Ridewell system here http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/420621582. Space Craft has them as an option for suspension.

Does Spacecraft have a "standard" package for their suspension? Or at least one which they usually recommend?

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Does Spacecraft have a "standard" package for their suspension? Or at least one which they usually recommend?

They do build their "show" trailers on conventional spring axles I believe, but will do Air Ride, Torsion and probably any other type you would like for your trailer. There is usually a package price to start with and then you add and subtract from that. I don't know if the new and improved website has a standard build list to start from or not. You can always ask them to email one to you.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'm pretty sure that the standard for 5th wheels is the torsion axle. We put the Ridewell on ours. If budget were not an issue I'd really look at the Dallas Smith suspension - commercial air components in an IS type arrangement.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

I'm pretty sure that the standard for 5th wheels is the torsion axle. We put the Ridewell on ours. If budget were not an issue I'd really look at the Dallas Smith suspension - commercial air components in an IS type arrangement.

Any idea what that cost is?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We have had air ride suspension on our 2005 Americana 35 ft fifthwheel with al-co suspension. The name of the system Load Controller by Air Lift. P/N 25802 four point leveling system.

The Americana was built on the Forest River assembly line, and than up fitted with extras like the air ride, electric over hydraulic disc brakes and other things.

We set the pressure and the ride is smoothe. Sometimes we have forgotten something on the kitchen counter and it stayed there.

We are still using the fifthwheel fulltime.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

I had no idea there are so many options available for trailer suspensions. Gives me a lot more research to do; which is a good thing.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

• 3 weeks later...

Roger...do you mean at Kelderman's shop?

Yes,

I was there just before the Labor day weekend.

Very nice shop, great people.

While I was there they were working on a new Ford 2017 model, it had a fully boxed frame and they was making a new system for it, Wes showed me the custom wheels that was going on it, 14 inches wide, he told me the tire size, but looking at the wheel all I heard nothing.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived