Need advice diesel leak

rvnjudie

I am sprouted to Elkhart area for residential fridge installation. I have a diesel leak. I am unable physically to crawl under and see where it is coming from. Do I take my motor home to Spartan (the chassis manufacturer) or to Cummins? Anyone had work done in that area?

Thanks for helping throttle ole lady.

Judie 2000 American Dream

Ps-am going to have to go to factory for new rubber molding on windshield also.

I would not take it to either place unless it is more convieniant or it is under warranty (being a 2000 probably not.)

check local repair places, a Camping World maybe, diesel repair shop, get a price before they repair. If you are only willing to have those two work on it, then spartan would handle the fuel tank leaks. It could be a generator line leaking also, and may only leak when Gen. is operating if you move the moho take note when you get to your destination if it leaks at all when you get there, if not fire up the Gen. and inspect the ground after running a few mins.

good luck Judie

Well, having been to both Spartan and Cummins, and since I am having a residential fridge put in, my pocketbook is already taking a hit! So, I if I can get it done elsewhere cheaper, I will definitely go with that. I just did not know where to start. Thanks for the help.

If your out of town, look for a local shop on the internet/phone book, word of mouth, once you find a shop then you could go on a site that reviews repair shops see if they are reputable, like yelp Angie's list maybe, then call them ask if they can do the work and if you could come by for an estimate (they might charge a fee to look at it ) but a least you can decide if it's in your budget and if not in budget, ask them if you come back when in budget if you can get the diagnoses fee credited to the work, since they already know whats wrong, they don't need another diagnoses charge. try it see what you come up with.

Mike

Sounds like a bad fuel line. If it is a rub hole in the tank, you need to lower the level to where it can be drained and removed. Like I said, a radiator shop can repair a tank.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Buy one of your neighbors a drink and get them to slide under there and see if they can spot the location. I agree that its more than likely a fuel line with a pin hole wore into it.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

While sitting. Not noticing when driving. Had maybe a 3 foot circle after 2 months in same spot.

Was the tank completely full when you stopped? Are you traveling now and see no evidence of a leak? Also what sort of pad were you sitting on when the 2/3' circle developed? If you were sitting on concrete, it would take very little diesel fuel to make a spot that large. If you are still in that same spot, I'd try to find a way to detect if it is still leaking or if it might have been something temporary that has stopped. Could it have been that the tank was over filled and the fuel came from the vent line?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Judie,

Take a look at this site if you are not familiar with it.

http://rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=&sortby=location&state=TX&search=&CategoryID=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=

This is a great source for RV repairs all over the country, primarily because of the reviews fellow RVr's provide. I had the pleasure of find a couple good places for repairs in the Houston area from this site.

Best regards,

Tim Lerchbacker

2013 Ford F250 Diesel

2012 Keystone Avalanche 5th wheel

It was not completely full when I stopped,maybe 3/4. I was parked on small gravel. I am currently enroute to Elkhart, IN for a new fridge. It would be great if it is only a fuel line. I will get it checked as soon as possible. Will be there today sometime.

A 3 foot circle (if on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt) is not much of a leak after 2 months time. DO NOT take it to Camping World as mentioned by someone above! You need to find someone to get under it with a flashlight while it is running. Most likely just a fuel line or fitting.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Archived