Cracked Windshield

SuiteSuccess

Hi Carl,

I had a small star shaped crack in the windshield of my pick-up. I had a glass shop do the repair for the cost of $50 and a life time guarantee on the repair. I understand that a hdt is not a pick-up. I think that having the crack prep right is very important to the repair. You could always call a few glass shops and see what they want for the repair. I had to pay for the repair myself.

What is a CLUE report ?

Good luck,

Al

Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange is CLUE. All insurance claims are listed with this agency and that is how they increase your premiums or refuse to write you for too many claims. It is available to ALL insurance companies so that is why if you are dropped from one company you may not be insurable. The crack is on my car not the Volvo so may just pay out of pocket. Just know Loctite and others make a repair product but have no previous experience repairing.

If using a kit make very sure the crack is dry and figure out a way to keep the sun off it until you are ready for it to harden. The pro's seem to do just fine in the sun but if you are slow and fumble a bit you can have issues with the patch getting hard before you are ready.

I've also used the Permatex kits a few times. I agree the pros do it better but the results are quite acceptable. If you're travelling just run into Walmart pick up a kit and fix the glass in the parking lot. The kit is only about $10 in Canada.

Nigel

MrSeas;

No new gasket needed. The sealant will usually pull right off, followed by a brush to pick up the remnants. Add fresh silicone, set the new glass, then reinstall the existing gasket. Depending on the gasket form, the steps may vary a bit, but the idea is the same, and unless the gasket has been damaged (ripped, torn, hole) badly, this method will work on 99% of window replacements.

Archived