Cracked Windshield

SuiteSuccess

Picked up a small star shaped crack in my windshield from a rock. I know there are several do it yourself products. Any suggestions on products and tips for repair?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thing is reporting it to insurance. Does it go on a CLUE report?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hi Carl,

I had a small star shaped crack in the windshield of my pick-up. I had a glass shop do the repair for the cost of $50 and a life time guarantee on the repair. I understand that a hdt is not a pick-up. I think that having the crack prep right is very important to the repair. You could always call a few glass shops and see what they want for the repair. I had to pay for the repair myself.

What is a CLUE report ?

Good luck,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

So, if you have a lot of pits in the glass, it might be a good time to just replace the windshield. I've not priced Volvo glass, but for my Mack it's stupid cheap. Labor would make up the majority of the cost.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thing is reporting it to insurance. Does it go on a CLUE report?

Not sure. Never checked. I do know that after 3 repairs on a pick-up windshield, SafeLite replaced the entire glass.

I never called the ins company, just let the glass company handle it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange is CLUE. All insurance claims are listed with this agency and that is how they increase your premiums or refuse to write you for too many claims. It is available to ALL insurance companies so that is why if you are dropped from one company you may not be insurable. The crack is on my car not the Volvo so may just pay out of pocket. Just know Loctite and others make a repair product but have no previous experience repairing.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I just sold an auto and the buyer questioned our two chip repairs after he ran a CARFAX, so the repairs are reported somewhere. From what I was told these are Comprehensive claims and does not hurt you.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I've used the permatex kits you can get at NAPA on race cars and it works pretty well. It minimizes the appearance of the crack, but you can still see it. I think the pros do a better job of filling everything.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

If using a kit make very sure the crack is dry and figure out a way to keep the sun off it until you are ready for it to harden. The pro's seem to do just fine in the sun but if you are slow and fumble a bit you can have issues with the patch getting hard before you are ready.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I've also used the Permatex kits a few times. I agree the pros do it better but the results are quite acceptable. If you're travelling just run into Walmart pick up a kit and fix the glass in the parking lot. The kit is only about $10 in Canada.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Thanks folks. Think I will give the Permatex a try.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Had the Toy Draggin windshield replaced on-site (we're traveling) a few weeks ago. $150 & no insurance report.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I use super glue from Wal-Mart! Squirt a little on the spot and use a small piece of wax paper over the glue and push the glue into the crack. Let paper and glue dry over night and use a single edge blade to scrap off the wax paper and glue. The idea is to simple fill in the crack so water doesn't get into it.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

MrSeas;

No new gasket needed. The sealant will usually pull right off, followed by a brush to pick up the remnants. Add fresh silicone, set the new glass, then reinstall the existing gasket. Depending on the gasket form, the steps may vary a bit, but the idea is the same, and unless the gasket has been damaged (ripped, torn, hole) badly, this method will work on 99% of window replacements.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived