Where to find a lawyer?

Hi!

Not sure if this has been covered before, so I apologize if this is an old question.

We are STILL dealing with our insurance company (National General Insurance) and Camping World after the theft/recovery of our Class C in late June.

I would like to hire a lawyer to help deal with the insurance and Camping World, as I feel I'm not qualified to do this alone, and I think they both are trying to get away with a lot.

Any lawyer recommendations would be greatly appreciated, or advice in general. We are currently staying temporarily in Sacramento, the RV is still in Las Vegas. Help?

Rig: 2000 31ft Class C Forest River Sunseeker (The Great A'Tuin)

Toad: 2009 SmartCar (Tyrian, of House Mercedes)

Kevin (Awesome K) of House AwesomeSauce

Genevieve (Sauce G) of House AwesomeSauce

Three Cats;

Sir Archer Funnyfoot of House Fluffington

Lady LanaBoBana of House Fluffington

Miss Matilda Pants, First of Her Name, Hun of the Andals, Queen of the All the Things, Khaleesi of the Great A'Tuin, Breaker of Souls, and Mother of Dragons.

http://awesomesauceadventure.com

I don't know if they can help with the legal issues, but the folks at Loring & Assoc. in Livingston very well may be able to point you to a Las Vegas attorney who could help you. I'd suggest that you send an email to Miri Kim Wakuta who is an attorney in the office of Shawn Loring who is presently the CEO of Escapees and also a Texas attorney. I got to mete Miri at Escapade this year and she seems to be a very talented lady and a good source of help for Escapee members.

EDIT; The posted link goes to the business mail-box of the company so I'd suggest inserting Miri's name into the subject line, something like "Question for Miri Kim Wakuta" might be good.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wow, I find it difficult to believe you are STILL dealing with this. Something you can do is contact the state insurance commission where you have your insurance if you haven't done so already.

Trust me, I wish I was joking.

Camping World didn't even evaluate the damage until a week ago, after it sat on their lot in Vegas, in the extreme heat, for over a month.

Some of the damage from the sun is now being treated as "unrelated" and the insurance is saying they won't cover that.

Three Cats;

Miss Matilda Pants, First of Her Name, Hun of the Andals, Queen of the All the Things, Khaleesi of the Great A'Tuin, Breaker of Souls, and Mother of Dragons.

I don't know if they can help with the legal issues, but the folks at Loring & Assoc. in Livingston very well may be able to point you to a Las Vegas attorney who could help you. I'd suggest that you send an email to Miri Kim Wakuta who is an attorney in the office of Shawn Loring who is presently the CEO of Escapees and also a Texas attorney. I got to mete Miri at Escapade this year and she seems to be a very talented lady and a good source of help for Escapee members.

EDIT; The posted link goes to the business mail-box of the company so I'd suggest inserting Miri's name into the subject line, something like "Question for Miri Kim Wakuta" might be good.

Thank you for the advice! Just sent her an email.

Three Cats;

When we were hit nearly head-on by a drunk driver with no driver's license in a borrowed car with no insurance, we had trouble with our own insurance. The truck was immediately totaled, the frame was broken. The fifth wheel was torn up in the bedroom area and we could not get the door to open. We had it taken back to the factory and the factory wanted to put in a new door and door frame as well as fixing everything else. Our insurance did not want to pay for it. I called the state insurance commission to tell them of our problems, and the insurance company immediately offered to pay all the claim! So try that. By the way, we were insured in Missouri and the accident was in Oklahoma and we had the fifth wheel taken to Kansas for repair!

Every state bar association should have a lawyer referral program and many local bar associations have a local lawyer referral program. Go online and search for the State Bar of NV or the Las Vegas Bar Association and click on their link for a lawyer referral. There are also many private lawyer referral companies on the internet.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When we were hit nearly head-on by a drunk driver with no driver's license in a borrowed car with no insurance, we had trouble with our own insurance. The truck was immediately totaled, the frame was broken. The fifth wheel was torn up in the bedroom area and we could not get the door to open. We had it taken back to the factory and the factory wanted to put in a new door and door frame as well as fixing everything else. Our insurance did not want to pay for it. I called the state insurance commission to tell them of our problems, and the insurance company immediately offered to pay all the claim! So try that. By the way, we were insured in Missouri and the accident was in Oklahoma and we had the fifth wheel taken to Kansas for repair!

That sounds awful! Which state commission did you call?

I told them we were going to consult with an attorney and they said they won't be talking to us any longer until we get the lawyer, and all work has stopped.

Three Cats;

I told them we were going to consult with an attorney and they said they won't be talking to us any longer until we get the lawyer, and all work has stopped.

From what you told us before, very little or no work was happening anyway. It is late now for such advice, but it is usually better not to make that statement as many times it is taken as a threat and most people eventually give in and let the insurance company have their way. To anyone else with a similar situation, don't say anything to the insurance people about attorneys, just get one and have the attorney contact the insurance without forewarning.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That sounds awful! Which state commission did you call?

Each state has their own insurance dept. that regulates and oversees private insurance companies within that state: http://www.insure.com/states-insurance/

Kirk has good advice. Whenever a lawyer is mentioned things get sticky.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

As a business owner, an unfortunate reality is that I cannot please everybody all the time. When things don't go as we hope, we work with the customer to get an outcome that works for all, as long as we are all working together.

If somebody tells me that I am going to be hearing from their lawyer, that's my cue to put everything on hold until the situation clarifies.

I would also note that the one or two times I have ever actually heard from a lawyer is "out of the blue". People that really hire lawyers keep their powder dry. People that bluster about "you'll hear from my lawyer" are bluffing and usually 1) don't have a lawyer, and 2) haven't even consulted with one.

There's really no magic or special powers that lawyers have to compel action. In fact, if you want to slow things down, get a lawyer - they charge by the hour, after all!

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

The insurance commision from the state you are insured in can be very helpful from our experience. A letter to them documenting in detail your problems will often lead them to address a letter to the CEO of your insurance company asking for a detailed response to your problems. This worked for us and it may provide the emphasis you need to solve the problems. It was explained to us that the commision has little legal authority on individual cases but most companies don't want to get on thier bad side. They also explained that it doesn't stop you from using an attorney if the results don't meet your expectations. I would certainly involve them again if I had a problem. Our letter to the commision included pictures and statements from recognized professionals and that seemed to help.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Try under a rock....sorry couldn't resist.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that in a property damage only claim lawyers are going to charge by the hour. It isn't the situation where you don't pay them if they don't collect.

So, I have always wondered how one walks away with payment for 100% of their damages given that the other party is not required to reimburse you for your attorney fees. If you have to file suit to get what you believe you are owed then it is possible that the court will award your fees should you prevail at trial.

I would agree with others comments about first contacting a state insurance regulation agency.

Sorry to hear that you are having the problem. I have only had one claim with National General which was a theft of property and they couldn't have handled it any better or faster.

Topic (thread) was started August 11..

prior to the above (#16) on Sept, 9th .-

The last (serious) post - #14 - responding to the OP's question was on Aug 16.

(IMO) If he has not "solved" his dilemma by now (just shy of a month) ......further responses are probably unnecessary or won't help.

However - maybe he (the OP) could "come back" and answer that?

And/or relate the outcome.

. .

Howdy,

Turns out we ARE still dealing with this. The RV is still in Las Vegas, and National General is STILL figuring things out. It has been almost 70 days, and at this point Las Vegas has had the RV longer than we have.

We have contacted the insurance regulation committee (PRO TIP: If you need your insurance investigated, contact the state in which you first got the policy), the Better Business Bureau, and everyone else we can think of.

We can't afford a lawyer anymore, although we wish we could have had someone look over all the documents for us.

So far no one has returned with a response, but we were told responses could take up to 90 days. At this point we have sort of given up hope, and have had to cancel all our Full Timing memberships, reservations, and plans. This has been a real nightmare.

IF we were to get a lawyer, we still aren't sure WHERE to get the lawyer. Do we get one in Vegas, where the RV is? Do we get one in California, where we are now? Do we get one in Colorado, where we got the RV?

Three Cats;

IF we were to get a lawyer, we still aren't sure WHERE to get the lawyer. Do we get one in Vegas, where the RV is? Do we get one in California, where we are now? Do we get one in Colorado, where we got the RV?

As I understand it, your RV was stolen in Nevada, recovered in Nevada and is currently still in Nevada. Given that I would hire an attorney in Nevada if you are going to hire one. You could hire an attorney from anywhere and if they are not licensed to practice in Nevada they can likely still help through a surrogate attorney in Nevada. That will, I promise you, add to your legal fees (I know this from settling an inheritance claim across multiple states.)

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived