HDT set up questions.

13speed

Does Volvo make a cab over?

Yes. Look here. They just don't sell them here.

volvo-fh-400-02.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Volvo make a cab over?

As Big5er pointed out while I was composing my post, yes, they do. In fact, North America may well be the only market in which they sell the VN/VT/VH series conventional trucks, while their cabover models are sold most everywhere BUT here.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

That would certainly help. I would have to see it as well as see some higher end interior finishes than what I have seen so far to consider them.

They have a new website up that is easier to navigate.

The issue I see with SpaceCraft is that they haven't shown on any websites what they can do until recently. I have seen spartan interiors up to Continental Coach / New Horizon quality woodwork and finishes. But since their primary market has been a lower standard of finish, that's what you see.

Gregg Shields has a video of Robert and Heidi Springfields Space Craft.

Volvo has cab overs in the European market.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yes. Look here. They just don't sell them here.

volvo-fh-400-02.jpg

That is a pretty nice cabover but I think it would be even more difficult to get my Great Dane in and out of than a conventional tractor.....

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

They have a new website up that is easier to navigate.

The issue I see with SpaceCraft is that they haven't shown on any websites what they can do until recently. I have seen spartan interiors up to Continental Coach / New Horizon quality woodwork and finishes. But since their primary market has been a lower standard of finish, that's what you see.

Gregg Shields has a video of Robert and Heidi Springfields Space Craft.

Volvo has cab overs in the European market.

Interesting video. I am not sure what kind of drugs it would take to get me to live in a 5er with 4 kids but it would definitely take a lot!

It was very tight inside to accommodate that many peeps. Does anyone know why it is unpainted? Looked a little boring sitting next to Jack's pretty trailer.....

I do need to try and get out to the rally to talk to all 3 MFG's and see a few rigs in person.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

13 Speed,

Robert and Heidi and their children are a unique and remarkable family and if you ever have the opportunity to meet them please take the time. Some of the best behaved and sweetest children I have ever been around in my life including my own children and grandchildren. My impression in knowing them was they were more interested in functionality of their trailer than glitz. After pricing full body paint schemes that usually adds about $15k to the price and knowing Robert as I think I do, he found better use for that money. I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I second Carl's comments regarding Robert and Heidi. Not all families could make this life work, but it is really a beautiful experience that this family is having. And the young ones are getting educated way beyond their years. The "living" area inside is really quite nice! If you ever make the National Rally, and meet them, you will be blessed.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

13 Speed,

Robert and Heidi and their children are a unique and remarkable family and if you ever have the opportunity to meet them please take the time. Some of the best behaved and sweetest children I have ever been around in my life including my own children and grandchildren. My impression in knowing them was they were more interested in functionality of their trailer than glitz. After pricing full body paint schemes that usually adds about $15k to the price and knowing Robert as I think I do, he found better use for that money. I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

I second Carl's comments regarding Robert and Heidi. Not all families could make this life work, but it is really a beautiful experience that this family is having. And the young ones are getting educated way beyond their years. The "living" area inside is really quite nice! If you ever make the National Rally, and meet them, you will be blessed.

Im sure they are nice people I was not judging them guys, just wondering:) Maybe I will add that I would not have wanted to live with my 2 kids in a 5er. Its hard enough living with my 18yo daughter in a 2200 SF house so I could not imagine in 400ish SF. It might get harder for them as those kids become teenagers though. I liked my kids till their 13th birthdays :lol:

While I did not expect that everyone could afford full paint, pretty much all trailers come standard with either partial paint or at least stripes so it seemed odd for it to be just plain white. I had never seen one like that.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Did not think you were judging them :). You have already learned this is a very diverse group and you will see setups for all sorts of purposes with some folks needing a mobile abode for their employment. 1Rod, Nuke-E, Robert and Heidi, HeroMaker come to mind. Their rigs mirror their needs. You will also see a group that have a quarter million or more dollars invested because they have been successful and wish to enjoy the fruits of their labors. The group I like to watch are the innovators who come up with unique ideas that we can all hope to share. What they lack in $$ they make up in sweat. No rights or wrongs here, just wishes we had done it this way or that.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Did not think you were judging them :). You have already learned this is a very diverse group and you will see setups for all sorts of purposes with some folks needing a mobile abode for their employment. 1Rod, Nuke-E, Robert and Heidi, HeroMaker come to mind. Their rigs mirror their needs. You will also see a group that have a quarter million or more dollars invested because they have been successful and wish to enjoy the fruits of their labors. The group I like to watch are the innovators who come up with unique ideas that we can all hope to share. What they lack in $$ they make up in sweat. No rights or wrongs here, just wishes we had done it this way or that.

To add to Carl, These folks here are from all walks of life, some that I know of are- farmers, truck drivers, doctors, salesman, nuclear physicist, nurses, professional announcers, electronic geniuses, etc.

If I had to live in 400sqft with my then 13-18yr old daughter..... I'd be in prison by now....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Chris,

I would not discount Spacecraft. They are the most experienced provider of semi-trailers and "exotic" one-off trailers. They have a LOT of experience in those areas that other manufacturers do not. And experience does count.

They can do a high-end interior if you like. But IMO, you will have to be very involved in the process - which in the case of Robert and Heidi, Heidi designed the interior and oversaw the implementation. That will be true of all the custom manufacturers IF you have custom items you want implemented. You HAVE to watch them closely. Or you will be unlikely to get it YOUR way.

WRT Spacecraft: I really like their wood painted walls. It allows for a flexibility in decor that is missing from the other custom brands. Their exterior paint is identical to New Horizons - done by CDI in Forest City, Iowa. Their fiberglass ceiling has some distinct advantages ,and can be done in matt paint, or even with padded vinyl overlaid. Although they have not done the overlaid vinyl yet, to my knowledge. The matt paint looks OK IMO.

From an infrastructure perspective the Spacecraft semi it the most interesting. You have a flat floor, and totally commercial running gear of your choice (within some reasonable limits). I'd put on air abs disc brakes. On a tandem axle set. Positioned mid, like an RV. And add RV-style endcaps. This would give you best-in-class running gear set up for easy servicing anywhere. And would last forever. And with the only weight limitation being your truck axle set. In a 45' unit you can get the pin weight at around 8K-9K. The entire unit would be in the 30-33K area, more or less. You would have to have a hauler bed on the truck with the clearance at the truck hitch...not like a conventional RV hauler where the clearance is on the trailer.

Another thing I do like about the infrastructure on a Spacecraft is the slide technology. It is somewhat "old school" with electric slide motors with individual controls. But it works flawlessly and is easy to repair and debug.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Chris,

I would not discount Spacecraft. They are the most experienced provider of semi-trailers and "exotic" one-off trailers. They have a LOT of experience in those areas that other manufacturers do not. And experience does count.

They can do a high-end interior if you like. But IMO, you will have to be very involved in the process - which in the case of Robert and Heidi, Heidi designed the interior and oversaw the implementation. That will be true of all the custom manufacturers IF you have custom items you want implemented. You HAVE to watch them closely. Or you will be unlikely to get it YOUR way.

WRT Spacecraft: I really like their wood painted walls. It allows for a flexibility in decor that is missing from the other custom brands. Their exterior paint is identical to New Horizons - done by CDI in Forest City, Iowa. Their fiberglass ceiling has some distinct advantages ,and can be done in matt paint, or even with padded vinyl overlaid. Although they have not done the overlaid vinyl yet, to my knowledge. The matt paint looks OK IMO.

From an infrastructure perspective the Spacecraft semi it the most interesting. You have a flat floor, and totally commercial running gear of your choice (within some reasonable limits). I'd put on air abs disc brakes. On a tandem axle set. Positioned mid, like an RV. And add RV-style endcaps. This would give you best-in-class running gear set up for easy servicing anywhere. And would last forever. And with the only weight limitation being your truck axle set. In a 45' unit you can get the pin weight at around 8K-9K. The entire unit would be in the 30-33K area, more or less. You would have to have a hauler bed on the truck with the clearance at the truck hitch...not like a conventional RV hauler where the clearance is on the trailer.

Another thing I do like about the infrastructure on a Spacecraft is the slide technology. It is somewhat "old school" with electric slide motors with individual controls. But it works flawlessly and is easy to repair and debug.

I am going to call them tomorrow. The Semi chassis sounds very intriguing. If I can make the ceilings, slides and front door taller then it might work. I am not sure how it will stack up cost wise against a traditional 5er from CC or NH to be able to get the higher end finishes though. SC's included standards are nothing like what we are looking for. While anything can be had for a price I am a little nervous what it will take to upgrade literally everything in the trailer.

So do you use a conventional 5th wheel or a RV hitch? It looks like it would be easy to exceed the 8K pin capacity of a ET hitch.

So the little landing porch retracts into the trailer but what happens with the stairs and railings? Do you have to disassemble them and store them underneath? That would be very inconvenient for potty/lunch stops or even a quick overnighter???

I think I did solve the tall roof Winegard issue. Lower the roof at the front over the closet and mount it there. Like they did with this just farther forward. That way you get tall ceilings all the way to the closet. (my closet will be much deeper to accommodate the W/D.) A/C in the basement and only solar on the roof.

[/url]">http://Screen%20Shot%202016-08-14%20at%207.34.0

2018 NH 48' Majestic

What hitch you use is going to depend on the weights of the trailer. This is one are that requires careful "management". The ET can easily handle 8K and perhaps 9K with the Super Bikely setup. That setup with the single bag was driven by my requirement for more pin weight. I'm currently running at 7K and anticipated an 8-9K pin. Henry would be the one to ask, but I think that an 8-9K area would work just fine, and still give cushioning. Above that you get into declining benefit. But Henry is the "man" on this one.

I would suggest that the cost of the semi will be less than the cost of a "comparable" (interior) Forks. But that totally depends on what you do....

The Spacecraft front door is already tall and wide. Unlike most RVs. Slide height will depend on framing, but it is NOT going to be as tall as some RVs. You simply don't have the ceiling height to do it. That is why windows are important to make it feel more open.

The "in transit" stops are best managed with a 4-step stool like you use in the kitchen. The downside of the "porch" is as you note. You have to manage the steps. There is also a porch version that has in-built slideout steps that come out of the side of the body. Like Powerhouse has in some of their units. That takes up more storage space. But is very effective. As I've said: everything is a compromise.

You can certainly step the roof at the front and that would solve the sat issue. Just complicates the rest.... :) (see, there is that compromise again. :) )

You are not going to get the very tall ceiling feeling in a semi. It is simply not possible in 13' 6". But you do the the same roofline in the bed/bath area. So it is a tradeoff. For example, in a semi, you can put in a "rainfall" shower head and have it be "right". Even if you are tall, like me. You will have one 4" rise someplace in the trailer.....typically in the front. That is the rise in the bolster plate area. You can design around that.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Well everyone, I had a very nice talk with Marsha from SC this morning. It seems (as Jack and others have said) that they can do some very cool things and are priced very competitively as well. Marsha really knows her stuff and has lots of great ideas. I may just skip the rally and fly out to see them.

It seems that I can have my cake to a great extent with SC. I can have my tall ceilings through out as well as have all of the features I am after in the semi trailer configuration. I will use the standard commercial hitch which will save me 5-6K on the truck as well:) 19.5 tires will give me that little extra to get to the 8' ceilings and I might just do the basement air. My floor plan just happens to have a great place to run some ducting:). I will do a 12.5K gen and full size 27"W/D 240V. This is going to be a home on wheels rather than a "RV" I'm getting excited!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

• 1 month later...

Hi 13speed.

This is a Canadian opinion: With you having experience driving commercially you already know what is going to happen with your trailer and your truck. As far as registering your truck, my singled Volvo is registered as a private pleasure truck with a gvw rating, a bigger version of CC dually. I am legal for all of Canada and the US.

2005 Volvo 670 HDT singled "Snowflake"

Pilot "Darrell"

Navigator "Susan"

2014 Goldrush Nugget by Durango - 40'

2008 Smart Car Passion Cabriolet "George"

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

13 speed Lots if ideas...but keep in mind..." it's what you want". When at home in WA. you might go about100 miles south in Oregon, just of I-5, on the west side of road and look for ideas and ask about Prevost Coaches. They do good quality work, and closer to home. But to say, Spacecraft and others do nice work, and well built, too. I looked at Spacecraft in 1998, and found that my budget was not big enough for what I wanted to do. Look at ALL options (pro/con). It's worth in the long run. One more thing..... I have NEVER.....NEVER ever herd of or had a builder be done with a project on delivery date, ALWAYS 4 weeks to 8 mouths behind. NEVER !!!!!!!! OU812

The problem with Featherlight and other trailers oriented towards events, etc is that they really do not have the experience with building living quarters. Sure they "could" do it if well supervised, but a typical luxury trailer and its infrastructure is FAR different than an event trailer. Now, if you wanted to build it yourself based on their platform that would be a good thing. They do build some very nice trailers.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The problem with Featherlight and other trailers oriented towards events, etc is that they really do not have the experience with building living quarters.

I strongly beg to differ. In 17 years working in motor racing, I've been in probably close to 100 hospitality trailers and race trailers with lounges. They are as well built as the best Marathon Coaches. Because there is no weight issue, or cost issue and the semi-trailer structure, you never hear of the issues associated with 5th wheels.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived