HDT set up questions.

13speed

We have a 1998 Volvo 610 that is singled short. Trailersaver hitch is mounted so that the Binkley style head is just behind the axle. Because of the height required for the deck to rear end when the air bags are deflated, the hitch is 2" to high for our RV. A step bed design and other factors play into that, though. To me, our ride is great when comparing the ride to a Ram 3500, as you know with air seats, air ride cab, and at least air ride on the rear end of the truck everything smooths out. Add the ET hitch or other air ride type hitch and you feel nothing from the RV. Our wheelbase is 183", with an overall at 23'.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi 13speed,

I remember seeing a video from Gregg talking about the pin box on the trailer. If you can change the pin box you can get a savings of inches in total trailer length. Just an idea I want to put out there. I don't know if you thought about this idea. Take a look for Gregg's video.

If you where thinking about and older Volvo 420, I will be selling mind. The truck is a '98 VNL 420. It started life as a factory single. The truck has a Cummins N14 with a super 10 speed.

Wish you the best with your journey,

Al

I watched that video the other day. Those are good ideas for fine tuning after it is basically set up.

Your truck sounds like a old LTL line haul tractor. I am trying to think of the name of the company that ran a ton of those back then. I can see it but not clearly enough.....Was it white with red and blue stripes? Anyways, sorry but it wont work for me. I need the i-shift trans. Partly so my wife can drive it and partly because I spent 6 months pulling 53's all over Portland with one and got to really liking them.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I watched that video the other day. Those are good ideas for fine tuning after it is basically set up.

Your truck sounds like a old LTL line haul tractor. I am trying to think of the name of the company that ran a ton of those back then. I can see it but not clearly enough.....Was it white with red and blue stripes? Anyways, sorry but it wont work for me. I need the i-shift trans. Partly so my wife can drive it and partly because I spent 6 months pulling 53's all over Portland with one and got to really liking them.

I know that the truck was white and has a red frame. The truck is not white any more. I do not know if it had any strips. I can understand wanting an I-shift. That is the reason for selling my first truck. I have a 630 with an I-shift. What a difference in the two trucks. I feel more comfortable behind the wheel with the I-shift. I was not that good floating gears. I did ok. I guess more practice would help.

I hope you can find a truck,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

While I'm certainly not a professional driver, (heck, I'm just a farmer), I can assure you that pulling, and backing, an RV is a lot different than backing a commercial trailer. I have several trailers and three trucks. Big differences. Other than the really short stuff, the 43' rv is hardest to back.

I prefer to back with the Volvo, hitch far behind the axles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It sounds like we are talking about an EX Watkins truck.

ShortyO

Yes! That is what I was thinking it was. They got taken over by Fed Ex I think??? They had a brand new terminal in Denver right when I started driving in Dec 98 and then were gone not to long after after. That was right around the time of the LTL "great consolidation" period.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

My Volvo 610 was singled at 182" wb. That was just 6" longer than my F550.

Longer wheelbases may be more comfortable, but the ride in my 610 was FAR, FAR more comfortable than my F550,and that 550 was heavily modified for ride comfort. I had no issues at all with the ride in the 610, bobtail. But that may just be me....

You should drive some RV Haulers with the hitch behind the axle centerline before deciding what to do. There will be compromises with any setup. You just have to decide WHAT compromises to make.

AFAIK there will not be any Forks coaches at the Rally. There will be some (several) New Horizons and Spacecraft, though. If you are looking for a custom build you should check them all over carefully. That will give you ideas for your Forks, should you decide to go that direction. You might find the details of my coach interesting from an idea perspective, and you are certainly invited to discuss those details with me privately. We have extensive experience with custom coaches....they are FAR different from production. My email is in my sig line. HERE is a link to our coaches details.

on edit, it sounds like you may be in CO. If so, we are in Woodland Park and would be happy to get together with you sometime.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

While I'm certainly not a professional driver, (heck, I'm just a farmer), I can assure you that pulling, and backing, an RV is a lot different than backing a commercial trailer. I have several trailers and three trucks. Big differences. Other than the really short stuff, the 43' rv is hardest to back.

I prefer to back with the Volvo, hitch far behind the axles.

Everyone here seems to like the behind the axle position. Is this because it actually is the best or is this the only thing that anyone has experience with? I had a good talk yesterday with a guy that might do my singling. He has both experience as a Truck Driver and as a RV puller. His thoughts were that if you do not need a deck to put things (smart etc) on then it does not matter where you put the hitch. As for the extra maneuverability of the rear mounted hitch? While it may help some people in some situations it is not required to get the job done. He said he can get the same results with the hitch in any position.

As for commercial trailers being extremely different to pull/back than a RV. If you take a 45'van with the tandems forward and a 45' CC and hook them to the same tractor they are going to do things similarly. Yes you have 3 axles and yes you do not want to scrub the RV tires hard but if you know what you are doing you should not have to. Not having to nail a dock plate dead on in the dark in the pouring rain would make things even easier.

I think that the rear hitch mounting serves a purpose for people with really long wheelbases and big decks but I do not believe it is the end all for every situation. I am going to try it because I think it will be best for my situation. I am doing things much differently than most on here with a 430 with no deck or smart so why not complete the circle of differentness and put the hitch forward. I will be the guy you all point at and whisper about as I pass by :lol:

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I agree, if you are good at backing, you can put nearly any combination where you like. Experience trumps equipment configurations, every time. And it sounds like you may have done this before...... ;)

Want to try backing something interesting? Hook a front steering wagon behind a rear steering corn harvester ("Combine" to us farm folk). I was told it couldn't be done, so I backed in a figure "8" to prove the point.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My Volvo 610 was singled at 182" wb. That was just 6" longer than my F550.

Longer wheelbases may be more comfortable, but the ride in my 610 was FAR, FAR more comfortable than my F550,and that 550 was heavily modified for ride comfort. I had no issues at all with the ride in the 610, bobtail. But that may just be me....

You should drive some RV Haulers with the hitch behind the axle centerline before deciding what to do. There will be compromises with any setup. You just have to decide WHAT compromises to make.

AFAIK there will not be any Forks coaches at the Rally. There will be some (several) New Horizons and Spacecraft, though. If you are looking for a custom build you should check them all over carefully. That will give you ideas for your Forks, should you decide to go that direction. You might find the details of my coach interesting from an idea perspective, and you are certainly invited to discuss those details with me privately. We have extensive experience with custom coaches....they are FAR different from production. My email is in my sig line. HERE is a link to our coaches details.

on edit, it sounds like you may be in CO. If so, we are in Woodland Park and would be happy to get together with you sometime.

Volvos ride well no matter what you do to them which is one reason I like them so much. I am in Vancouver WA so will not be able to see your coach there but I am really wanting to stop by the rally in Oct so maybe then.

As for the brands I met the Brokenicky's and toured their 14 show trailer in CA a while back as well as read most things you have written and watched all of your videos so I have been exposed to NH. They make a fantastic trailer and would be my second choice after Forks. I wish they were in first because Kansas is a lot easier for me to get to then Shipshifaraway!

The few things that push them into second are.

Slanted roof. I know they say it is for drainage but it does not need to be THAT slanted. It looks old school to me.

Non flush (closed) slides. No matter how good they may seal it looks unfinished like my neighbors Reflection across the cul-de-sac.

The 4 stairs takes up a lot of hall space.

The insides are all done in a more traditional style. We want something closer to JC and Angie's more contemporary styled.

As for Spacecraft...They are a little odd to me. Kind of in some weird place between a NH and CC. Their roofs and slides are low and the fiberglass inside roof just seems weird. I also have not seen a interior of theirs that I liked.

I hope I do not offend anyone with my opinions. I am not intending to anyways.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

The roof is barely slanted now. It was pushed up 2" more in the 2015 models. But it is not flat.

I agree with you that the flush slides (on the exterior) look better. But in practice they actually can perform worse. I've had them both. The issue with the inset slides like Teton had (and the DRVs have) is that if there is any out-of adjustment they can EASILY hit the raised area and damage it.

Performance (sealing-wise) is the same for either. But I agree that the inset looks great when closed. The Forks looks better IMO also because there is no skirting below the slide that moves with the slide.....it stays in place on the side of the coach and that space can be used for some storage. I've been trying to get NH to go that direction.

You can do a three step interior on a NH, but you will lose some belly storage. The fourth step only takes 11"x(the stair width) - all the space to the sides are used. As to the decor, it can be ANYTHING you want to design. There have been some spectacular contemporary designs. You don't have to do what the show model has. Our interior is transitional...but simply changing the hardware and faucets would get it to contemporary. And putting Mission-style cabinets would make it even more contemporary. You can even do slab-faced cabinets painted....even more contemporary. That is the advantage of custom...do what you want.

Forks makes a great RV, though and if you like them best then that is what you should build :) Contact me privately if you want to see a comparison article between them. It really boils down to "6 of one, half a dozen of the other".

BTW, have you given any thought to a Spacecraft semi-trailer design??? Flat floor is attractive. VERY attractive.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I appreciate your commercial experience,I'm also currently a commercial driver and have been since 1980. I've been delivering into strip malls for the last 25 years with 45 foot trailers and three axle tractors of all types.

And RV trailer definitely handles much different then a van trailer even with the axle slid forward. And I'll say that I like having my fifth wheel behind the rear axle,much easier to do without having to move crossmembers or alter suspension on the tractor.

You say you never plan on using are having a bed and I can appreciate that and good chances you never will. but you never know?

Depending on what type of trailer you get there really isn't that much storage on most fifth wheels. And as a result with my wife decides to purchase something we can't live without while on a trip a lot of times it'll end up on the bed.

Last time it was a custom built chainsaw carved bear bench.

So if you have the available ability for that space why not make use of it?

You guys seem worried about 65'. I'm 65'4". Now I'm worried.

Many of the folks here are over the magic 65' number. But some folks are concerned about the length issue for the ability to stay in smaller parks that they like, or staying in staying in many of the older National Parks. Yellowstone, for example, would be a no go with our size rigs ( I think..... have been known to be wrong)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The roof is barely slanted now. It was pushed up 2" more in the 2015 models. But it is not flat.

I agree with you that the flush slides (on the exterior) look better. But in practice they actually can perform worse. I've had them both. The issue with the inset slides like Teton had (and the DRVs have) is that if there is any out-of adjustment they can EASILY hit the raised area and damage it.

Performance (sealing-wise) is the same for either. But I agree that the inset looks great when closed. The Forks looks better IMO also because there is no skirting below the slide that moves with the slide.....it stays in place on the side of the coach and that space can be used for some storage. I've been trying to get NH to go that direction.

You can do a three step interior on a NH, but you will lose some belly storage. The fourth step only takes 11"x(the stair width) - all the space to the sides are used. As to the decor, it can be ANYTHING you want to design. There have been some spectacular contemporary designs. You don't have to do what the show model has. Our interior is transitional...but simply changing the hardware and faucets would get it to contemporary. And putting Mission-style cabinets would make it even more contemporary. You can even do slab-faced cabinets painted....even more contemporary. That is the advantage of custom...do what you want.

Forks makes a great RV, though and if you like them best then that is what you should build :) Contact me privately if you want to see a comparison article between them. It really boils down to "6 of one, half a dozen of the other".

BTW, have you given any thought to a Spacecraft semi-trailer design??? Flat floor is attractive. VERY attractive.

Jack, I am in the process of writing you a email now. It takes me a while as I type with two fingers and over think everything...but its coming!

The no skirting on the slides is another nice feature on the Forks trailers as well as the extra storage they get buy not having the skirting.

While a flat floor sounds good the roof and slides are as low as a bus. A big advantage to me of a 5er is the taller slides/ceiling. Even though I am only 6'0" when I go from my houses 9' ceilings and 8' doors into a house with 8' ceilings and 6'8" doors I start ducking and get claustrophobic! I want that DRV tall slide/ceiling great room in a custom unit. Also while there is a lot of basement storage like a bus it is cut off in the middle because of the frame unlike a NH/CC pass through.

I appreciate your commercial experience,I'm also currently a commercial driver and have been since 1980. I've been delivering into strip malls for the last 25 years with 45 foot trailers and three axle tractors of all types.

And RV trailer definitely handles much different then a van trailer even with the axle slid forward. And I'll say that I like having my fifth wheel behind the rear axle,much easier to do without having to move crossmembers or alter suspension on the tractor.

You say you never plan on using are having a bed and I can appreciate that and good chances you never will. but you never know?

Depending on what type of trailer you get there really isn't that much storage on most fifth wheels. And as a result with my wife decides to purchase something we can't live without while on a trip a lot of times it'll end up on the bed.

Last time it was a custom built chainsaw carved bear bench.

So if you have the available ability for that space why not make use of it?

Howdy Trucker! :)

With the typical 430 wheelbase I can just remove the front axle and leave the rear one in place. I could then extend the frame for the hitch and have room for a deck. I don't want to spend the money on a deck right now so we can get on the road faster. I am doing simple fenders to start with. I should be able to get a truck like I showed earlier and have it ready to go for under 50K. Once the trailer is paid for we can add a deck or replace the truck. We are only going to travel 4-5 months a year and have a home base (not a house) where we will keep my Ram and her Grand Cherokee.

You guys seem worried about 65'. I'm 65'4". Now I'm worried.

I AM that one guy who would get caught! Not only that but I don't really want to be any longer than necessary. While I am not looking to fit into National Parks I do want to go other places than just truck stops.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I'm 74' hooked up. I don't have much trouble finding parks and I travel at least 6,000 miles around the US per year. We have been fulltiming 16 years in rigs from 36' -45'. I think that there are some compromises in larger rigs....just as there are in smaller ones. But it has not stopped me going anywhere we have wanted to. EVERYTHING in RVing is a compromise. My advice would be to focus on the 98% situation and not worry about the 2%. I would consider the 8' vs 9' ceiling in that category.....for ME. But that may be in the 98% for YOU. :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

While a flat floor sounds good the roof and slides are as low as a bus. A big advantage to me of a 5er is the taller slides/ceiling. Even though I am only 6'0" when I go from my houses 9' ceilings and 8' doors into a house with 8' ceilings and 6'8" doors I start ducking and get claustrophobic! I want that DRV tall slide/ceiling great room in a custom unit. Also while there is a lot of basement storage like a bus it is cut off in the middle because of the frame unlike a NH/CC pass through.

Just throwing this out there as I don't own a custom unit, but we are considering one. Space Craft does have an option to raise the side walls and roofline 4". It will also make the slides taller giving more interior room. I know this is an option on their semi RV's and I believe on their regular 5th wheels.

No matter which custom builder you choose, you'll have a great unit when finished.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Just throwing this out there as I don't own a custom unit, but we are considering one. Space Craft does have an option to raise the side walls and roofline 4". It will also make the slides taller giving more interior room. I know this is an option on their semi RV's and I believe on their regular 5th wheels.

No matter which custom builder you choose, you'll have a great unit when finished.

That would certainly help. I would have to see it as well as see some higher end interior finishes than what I have seen so far to consider them.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Archived