Hot water from cold faucet

Ronbo

We are in Phoenix I devoting chemotherapy. We have been having very warm water coming from the cold faucet. Almost as hot as the hot water. For a while I thought it was because it was so warm here and the pipes were shallow. I turned off the water heater and it was much improved. After a couple days it got on the tepid side. We had to turn on water heater for our shower and turn it off for cold water laundry. I ordered a check valve from Amazon. Less than $11.00. I installed it on the cold water side tonight. Removed the nipple that was in there and installed the check valve. It is a good thing I have a battery powered impact wrench because I couldn't remove the nipple with a socket and ratchet. I just took my shower and it was really nice to be able to adjust the temperature again.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Howdy Ronbo,

Congrats on fixing the issue yourself!

Me, as a complete novice in RV inner workings, I'm reading your post and trying to learn. What I can't understand is how you could install a check valve (which, as I understand it, has two ends) in the place of a nipple (which I understand covers a single end). Can you please explain?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (as it almost certainly it is).

Thanks in advance,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

A nipple is threaded on both ends. The check valve has an insert inside that is the check valve. Unscrew the nipple and screw in the check valve, which is essentially a nipple.

Here is a link to the check valve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJ6P184/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ron C.

While in Florida in late spring and early summer when I had a long hose run from the water source and the trailer I could take a complete shower without turning on the hot water. The water is heated by being exposed to the sun and lying on the ground. My parents noticed it in my Sticks and Bricks many years ago when they visited in the winter and were used to having very cold water in the Midwest and the water in Florida never got cold coming out of the faucets. (according to Mother.)

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hello Ronbo,

A nipple is threaded on both ends. The check valve has an insert inside that is the check valve. Unscrew the nipple and screw in the check valve, which is essentially a nipple.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. My confusion derived from a misunderstanding of what a "nipple" is... I once heard a pipe fitting similar to the one attached being (wrongly) called a nipple, and the mistake stuck...

Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

post-20897-0-15817100-1470996529_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

A nipple is threaded on both ends. The check valve has an insert inside that is the check valve.

On the RV water heaters that I've seen, the nipple found on water heater lines is usually a cheap, pex material check valve but those do fail and needing replacement is pretty common. If Rombo didn't always have the hot water problem, it likely was more than just a nipple on his also but in looking at them it is difficult to see any indication that they ever were check valves. They seem to get some mineral deposits into them and then lock either in the open or the closed position. I have seem both situations.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I just had a plain brass nipple installed. I have never stayed in a location this hot until this cancer issue. In my research I am actually finding that most manufacturers don't install check valves when building the water heater. If one is installed, it is usually the plastic one. Several dealers I went to in Phoenix had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't find it in their catalog or computer. When they pulled up the water heater parts breakdown, ther was no check valve found on the parts list or diagram.

Ron C.

Kirk, I just had a plain brass nipple installed. I have never stayed in a location this hot until this cancer issue. In my research I am actually finding that most manufacturers don't install check valves when building the water heater. If one is installed, it is usually the plastic one. Several dealers I went to in Phoenix had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't find it in their catalog or computer. When they pulled up the water heater parts breakdown, ther was no check valve found on the parts list or diagram.

That check valve might be listed along with the By Pass plumbing .

Goes around , comes around .

Archived