Windows 10 updated

RV_

OK folks!

I have been busy right up until Monday, the day before the new Windows release, with a recalcitrant old laptop that refused to do anymore updates after 1511, and then when I tried to do a reset within windows 10 it failed so I tried to do a factory restore to 7 and redo the upgrade to 10 before it wasn't free. Popeye was helping with some brainstorming offline and sent me a disk of the Windows 7 convenience rollup with SP1 which was where the factory restore was hanging up. I had to use the rust drive as it was 250GB and the SSD I was using, a Team dark 240GB, was not the right size for the factory restore to 7 to work. Once I got that I cloned it back to the SSD which finally worked. That was Monday the 28th one day before I could upgrade 7 again to 10 for free. Success!

So yesterday the promised release of Windows 10 Anniversary update I got nothing checking all day.

I had decided to risk my Surface Pro 3 tablet because it has a firmware update for it I read about.

Today Popeye emailed that he found the new Update on Microsoft's website at this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ On that page it looks like you are going to start the update, it says

"Download Windows 10

Update now

We noticed you are running Windows 10. If you are looking to update to the latest version, click Update now.
Update now"

Thanks Popeye!

So I went to control panel and set the power options to never sleep or dim the screen, and went to the website on the Surface first. I thought that "Update now" button was going to load the update so I was ready to save it not run it. That took all of 3 seconds to download because it was only the compatibility checker tool for the new version of Windows 10. Great I copied it and put it in the downloads of all my computers. At this point I decided to add three more systems to update today, The two laptops and the ASUS t-200 hybrid tablet/notebook.

My Surface 3 Pro went through about ten minutes of updating and then in stage two said something went wrong and gave me an error code. I clicked retry and it went through just fine. There are two stages at that point, a download getting ready which at 2% it failed, and then the actual update download and install. The whole thing took about an hour and it was done. I checked for updates after it was done because I have many times seen updates to the updates still waiting for their prerequisite updates to be installed. The Surface indeed had a firmware update. It is done and I had no difficulty in a quick check with finding where everything was. (I never used the start button except for shutdown/restarts from XP on. I keep shortcuts on the desktop and my most used and emergency utilities pinned to the task bar.)

Right now the T-200 hybrid is in the final update being installed stage.

The oldest laptop and oldest of my systems, the laptop I had to rush through a factory restore of 7 and upgrade to 10, and on the 29th, finally succeeding, is the Compaq C60-615DX which has a single core Celeron processor and came to me with its stock 2GB of DDR2 RAM! Before upgrading to 10 I upgraded the RAM to its max of 4 GBs, and cloned the hard drive to a Team Dark 240GB SSD, which made it seem to fly like a new machine. Not for running 3D programs at the same time as a compiler and Photoshop. Forget video editing. But for a student or a normal user it screams and boots fast. It was rated as not compatible with Win 10 at first, and told me they would let me know when my machine could be upgraded. I thought no way but had a fast Win 7 machine from a junker. Apparently a few months later (last year) HP must have supplied drivers because it finally said I was ready. Then a month ago it stopped taking updates so I worked it for a week and got 10 on it and working again. I was shocked this morning when the Update checker said it was fully compatible. Like the Surface it failed at about 2% but I had hopes it would work on a retry, and it did and is now at 13% of the second stage "Getting your update ready." Like before the Compaq failed in the end, but the original Windows 10 is just fine again anyway. I'm not concerned because Windows will find a fix eventually for error code 0xc1900201 For others here is the MS page on that error code: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-10-technical-preview-build-9860-fails/c7a2ab71-249b-4f74-bc35-5e3ec3c2bda1?auth=1 However, I have run into a similar issue before and found that the tiny 300-400mb system partition just needed to be enlarged a tiny bit to about 600mb and that fixed it. I have the Compaq back to the latest 10 before the anniversary edition so it did not cripple my machine. I have 8 machines to update first all newer than the Compaq and all went to 10 easily from 7 and 8/8.1. It failed the original update to 10 a year ago too. It is Deja Vu all over again with it.

The T-200 is now done and running a fully updated Win 10 Anniversary Edition (W10AE)

At the end it looks like it is going to go through the whole initial setup with the "wait we are getting things ready screen." It then only laid out my custom options or to accept express settings. I accepted express settings and it finished up in a few seconds.

I double checked for additional updates for the firmware update mentioned above. I had no problem finding settings in the start menu from the start button. I think most changes are going to ne things like extensions added to Edge and other things under the hood.

Even with 200 mbps and unlimited (I just upgraded for 10 bucks a month more) I want to see the upgrades for each so am holding off on the second Toshiba quad core A 6 with 6 GB of RAM 17" screen.

As of now I have one Surface done, one ASUS T-200 done, and the old Compaq just redid the system compatibility and I canceled the update for now until I had time to play with it after all the updates are done.

Important note on all updates!

There were about three instances of blank black screens for a minute or less with no indicator of it working. As soon as it goes into setup from install before it says hello, and at least once earlier.

DO NOT TRY TO WAKE FROM SLEEP OR START PRESSING BUTTONS DURING THESE BLANK SCREENS, THEY ARE NORMAL! THEY ARE VERY LONG ON THE SURFACE PRO FIRMWARE UPDATE. JUST BE PATIENT AND IT WILL WORK!

If it is going to fail it will give a screen for that.

I will update this thread as I go through the others, if there are any issues with the Venue 11 Pro tablet later (it is deferred,) the Lenovo All In One which is deferred, and my main system the Dell 2720 which will be last and is deferred.

I have run the update compatibility tool on the Toshiba A6 quad core machine and it is at 73% of stage 2, "Getting your update ready," I'll post when it is done.

Once again, you can only defer Pro and enterprise versions of Windows 10, not Home.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I created a USB drive last night and have done two PCS so far. I also created a 32 bit USB and a third PC is loading.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I put that link up there so folks that were limited in band use could go get it proactively rather than feel like I did when my draft number was 7 and I dodged the draft and had a warrant out for my arrest for draft evasion since my greetings letter came about a week after I left town. A couple of weeks later they found me. I had run to San Antonio and was residing with a bunch of other draft evaders in basic training for the USAF. Waiting for it to come will cause a lot more stress than going to get it.

Thanks for the input Newt and Mark. At least the others will see that it isn't breaking machines. Easy to figure out whether coming from 7 or 8/8.1 and especially 10.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was in Germany when I filled out my Draft Status Card, for current occupation I used Peace Keeping.

For the update I only had to do two downloads for the four PCs.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

On my Win 10 Pro machine the update was available late Tuesday afternoon. I hit the lets do it button and off she went. It loaded and installed without a hitch. I did have to go back in and disable my wifi card that is in the laptop as I use a dual band USB wifi card. I also had to go into power options and uncheck the fast start button so the the machine would shut down but that was the same as when we loaded 10 last year. So far everything has been working great with no issues. It took maybe 2 hours total which included messing with the wifi cards and the shut down issue.

Now on my Win 10 Home machine the update has not showed up yet? I keep checking and it does not show up.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Is the update done automatically? Because, if so, mine hasn't updated yet. But, I did set my computer to "metered" (I think that's the correct term), but I would expect at least a note that there's an update waiting...? Hopefully, any update will wait until tomorrow since today is the last day of my billing period.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The updates are being rolled out over the next few days. Using the Media Creation tool ( in RV's first post) allows you to pick the time.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

RV

I went to the link in your first post on my Win 10 Home machine. Everything shows good to go. Got to the 2% mark and got the "Something went wrong" msg. Tried it 2 more time and get the same msg. It says that this PC is running version 10586 and the next version is 14393. I keep this machine up to date all the time. I thought the update was a 1607? Is the new release a different build number for Win 10 Home machines? Any thoughts?

Is MS releasing the update by machine type or model? On one of the links it said that the AV update was not yet available for my machine yet but if I wanted it now click here. That is what I did until I got the "something went wrong msg".

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I have tried to update via RV's link now 6 times. I get the same results every time. After 2 percent I get the "something went wrong" msg with a error code msg of 0x80070057 which I have discovered has something to do with 2010 Outlook. I do not have outlook and as far as I know never have. I do have the Office Home and Student 2010 but that does not have Outlook as part of the package. It was a 3 install package. I have one install, Linda has one install and our GD in HI has the 3rd. The anniversary update went through on my HP machine which had Win 10 Pro on it without a problem. The HP had been a Win 7 Home and was upgraded to Win 7 Pro via a new key code that I bought. Linda's ASUS machine had been a Win 7 Home, then a Win 8 then a Win 8.1 and then finally a Win 10 Home 64bit system. I am not sure how to get around this 0x80070057 error code since I do not have Outlook 2010 which I am then hopeful will allow me to update to the Win 10 Home anniversary version.

Help Please

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Using the Media Create function has a more direct file download than the automatic process. Back with the initial Windows 10 install, I burned a whole lot of GBs with failed auto-installs because of a poor Internet connection. The Media Create when first time.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Dennis,

Glad you got it! I wasn't ignoring you but have been doing a bunch of days shopping for a good HD camera system with remote viewing via my Windows phone with a Windows phone app. installing and troubleshooting my new D-Link home security camera and just now got here for the first time since I last posted here on Wednesday. The D-Link is a great security camera. I got the one that moves up and down as well as panning around in almost a full circle. Now I am going to add an exterior one too. The inside one records too so we will have evidence of any intruders.

It turns out D-Link is the only one that has a Windows Phone app as well as an online cloud website where I can access live feeds from it on any computer or phone.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

​RV

Never gave it a thought. I and many other folks here on the RV Network are thankful for all the assistance you provide. Are you still liking the Win 10 Mobile? We had ADT security for years but now we use Cox Home Security as part of our bundling.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Yesterday, I used the link Derek gave in his first post to download the Windows 10 anniversary update and it went without a hitch. Since yesterday was the first day of my billing period, I took a look at my data usage this morning and I used 3.71 GB. That, of course, includes my and DH's normal daily use, so I'd say the download was around 3 GB...?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Yep 3GB about. Thanks guys.

Linda, I only had issues with the oldest laptop I have that despite being DDR2 RAM, and a single core Celeron, runs Windows 10 so well that I treated it to a new 12 cell battery at twice the stock battery's 4400 mAh six cell. And it angles it up to a nice typing position.

Thanks Dennis, at least I try. Lots of friends here.

Windows 10 mobile is awesome. If I didn't already have the Lumia 735s, and if the 950s were Verizon, I'd be getting the Lumia 950s with the AT&T sale $300.00 off! http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2016/08/07/now-you-can-buy-a-microsoft-lumia-950-for-29898-from-att/

The 950 is the excellent transition to the coming Surface phones. Read the review link about the sale.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

I agree I think it sucks that none of the high end Lumia's with Windows 10 Mobile are configured for Verizon. That is Microsofts fault for not making them to work on the Verizon network. If MS does not get on board with a Surface Phone that will work on the Verizon network I may switch to AT&T.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. I agree that Microsoft and Verizon could do more to see that the Windows phones are available on one GSM network - AT&T and one CDMA network - Verizon.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived