Squeaky Floors - in Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel

My Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel has a vinyl covered floor in front of the kitchen sink and an area about 4'x 4' squeaks when I step on it. I think that indicates the sub-floor is not nailed/screwed down good, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it.

I don't want to put nails or screws through the vinyl flooring and I don't know if it can be lifted up without damaging it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Larry

Is the floor exposed from the under side? if you can figure out how thick the sub floor is you can put screws thru the supports to pull it down or use firing strips to span the supports and screw thru the strips into the under side of the floor, just a thought.

Securing or supporting it is the best thing to do, if you can't do that if you can locate the squeak a bit of bees wax or paraffin packed into the noisy spot can at least quiet it down.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We had a squeaky floor in our house a few years ago. I was able to get some liquid nail between the floor sheathing and the floor joists. To further be sure I ran liquid nail along each joist as if I was caulking it to the sheathing. That stopped all of the sqeaks.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• 2 months later...

I've been working on my "squeaky floor problem" for several months. I looked at trying to get to the bottom of the floor from underneath the RV. That looked to be a mess, with water lines, propane lines to be moved and the large piece of "corragated plastic" that would have to be dropped down. So, taking a different approach, I finally found a solution.

I contacted Jayco and got drawings of the RV to see the location and spacing of the floor joists. Then, I found a "squeek-no-more" kit at a local Ace Hardware (Amazon and other building supply stores have them - cost $20-$25) that allowed me to stop the squeaks. First, you have to locate the floor joists.

The kit contains 2 plastic fixtures, a special drill driver, and about 30-40 special screws. The screws are scored near the top, so that when you screw them in (using one of the fixtures), the top ~1 inch of the screw head breaks off just below the surface of the floor when the screw bottoms out on the fixture. The screw pulls the plywood flooring tight to the joist, which eliminates the squeak, and there is no screw head visible. On a carpeted floor, the hole the screw is in doesn't show. On my vinyl floor, there is a small hole where the screw went it, but the vinyl that was pushed aside when the screw went in, flows back and almost closes the hole. It is so small that I can't see it unless I get down on my hands and knees.

So, I'm pleased with the "fix" and my wife called it a "miracle", and that is good.

I hope this might help someone else with this problem. Larry

They make a vinyl patch kit that has a clear solvent in it that you can use with something like a toothpick to put a bit in the holes and permanently seal them. I picked up a small tube at my local flooring store for a couple bucks.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived