Iowa I80 to Elkhart, IN?

brunsje

As noted, I-80 is most direct route, but you do pay tolls on the Indiana Toll Road.

To avoid tolls, take I-80 East across South of Chicago (one small toll on I-294 as it merges into 80). Since the total rebuild over the last few years

I-80/94 South of the city flows pretty well.

When I-80 splits off to the Indiana Toll Road stay on I-94 to the US 20 exit. US 20 is four lane divided all the way to South Bend and bypasses South Bend and Elkhart to the South.

It's been a year or more but when you are on I-80 entering IN, stay in the #2 lane all the way to I-94. The first lane will drop off and the second lane will later merge with I-94. I agree with Dennis, US 20 is a great road to take and avoid the EXPENSIVE IN tolls. The tolls will be .16 cents/mile for 4 axles, so the 100 miles will be just under $16, which would be better spent on fuel. N.W. Indiana normally has the cheapest diesel price around, so do a Gas Buddy search and arrive empty.

I-80 through Chicago and IN can be stressful with a lot of big trucks on the road pushing the speed limit. US 20 parallels I-80 which will seem like a drive in the country and it doesn't add any extra miles to Elkhart.

Greg

As noted, I-80 is most direct route, but you do pay tolls on the Indiana Toll Road.

To avoid tolls, take I-80 East across South of Chicago (one small toll on I-294 as it merges into 80). Since the total rebuild over the last few years

I-80/94 South of the city flows pretty well.

When I-80 splits off to the Indiana Toll Road stay on I-94 to the US 20 exit. US 20 is four lane divided all the way to South Bend and bypasses South Bend and Elkhart to the South.

i would agree with this route as that is what we basically just did and not only us but a lot of rv transporters used this route also.

... (one small toll on I-294 as it merges into 80).

If you want to avoid this toll as well you can get off at exit 151B and take IH57 to exit 348 and go east on US6 (159th St) to IH94 (exit 73B) Then just stay on 94(merges with I80 for a little while) until you get to US 20 around Michigan City (Exit 40A).

US 20 to South Bend is only a 2 lane road to South Bend, but it is fine. Done this route many times

Also done 174th St to cut across South Chicago - Go up a little farther on IH57 to exit 350 The across on Sibley or 174th St to IH94

Google maps - navigation

Link to Google Map Directions/Map - choose starting point and destination then choose OPTIONS and check AVOID TOLLS and this will help

Wouldn't taking all kinds of detours and adding 100 miles to your trip defeat the cost savings of avoiding the tolls? I would just stay on I-80, pay the tolls, and arrive less stressed from an extra 100 miles of driving. Just my opinion.

Archived