West Yellowstone Smoke Jumper and Tanker Plane Visitor Center

bobsallyh

Last week while we were in Bakers Hole Forest Service CG, the air tanker planes started coming and going into West Yellowstone Airport. We went over a couple of times to watch them refuel and add retardant. On Monday one of the "New Gen" jets came in. Ran over quickly to watch. While there I noticed a building that had "visitors" above the doorway. So on Tuesday we went back over. Went in and nobody around for a few minutes. As we were looking around, Tim, an employee came in and said "come on, I'll take you on a tour". He had just gotten there from New Mexico on Monday. Took us on the smoke jumper plane that was parked on the tarmac and explained how everything was done. Then he took us inside their shop, explained the chutes, all the equipment they carry, the food, and anything else associated with the job. Was an outstanding explanation and tour. Especially us being originally from the East Coast. They were working on the fire below Grand Teton NP along RT 191, Pinedale and Dubois, WY. The airport is approx. 3 miles north of West Yellowstone, MT. on the west side of RT 191 going towards Bozeman. Very worth while. Very low-key!

This is the outfit supplying the planes. http://www.neptuneaviation.com/index2.php#/home/

Archived