Fl. To Az.

mant

Hello,

We are getting ready to head out west from Florida in the next couple of weeks traveling in a Class A. Any suggestions / recommendations on how to get from the St Augustine, Fl area to Sedona, Az.? To many routes to choose from.

Thanks!

How many days do you plan on taking to get to Sedona? My mapping program shows the most direct route as 2023 miles with the only non-interstate section being from Mobile, AL to Jackson, MS. Do you prefer Interstates or the "Blue Highways"? What kind of things do you want to see and do along the way? If you have traveled between St. Augustine and Sedona before, what route did you take?

We are going to explore that part of AZ and spend about 5 weeks in UT, so we will try for 5 days from FL to AZ. We took 40 all the way to the east coast a few years ago but never FL to AZ. I really don't want to get fought up in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

...we will try for 5 days from FL to AZ. We took 40 all the way to the east coast a few years ago but never FL to AZ. I really don't want to get fought up in the Dallas/Ft Worth area...

If you take I-55 from Jackson to I-40 at Memphis, that will miss Dallas but add about 180 miles. If you use state and U.S. highways to get from Tiftin, GA to Memphis that increase can be cut to about 50 miles (total distance 2071 miles).

You do realize that this is the hottest part of the year in AZ, even up in the mountains, right? Also in southern Utah. To bad you couldn't do the trip in late September -best time to go to that area. Agreed on getting up to I-40 to come across, though it is pretty bad in spots. If you are going to Utah, why the side jaunt down to Sedona - it will be HOT in Sedona and quite a distance off of your destination in southern Utah, which will also be VERY HOT.

If you're coming on I-40 Sedona isn't far but it will be hot. You might want to stay in nearby Flagstaff where it will be very pleasant temps - 80's now but looking at 70's and do a day trip or two into Sedona via Hwy 89A. If your RV is long don't take it on 89A, instead, use I-17 to Sedona. Some interesting things to see in Flagstaff - Sunset Crate Volcano Nat'l Monument and a half-circle drive bringing you back out on 89. Along the way is Wupatki Nat'l Monument an Indian ruin. A wonderful place to stay is Bonito national forest campground at the entrance gate of Sunset Crater. The sites are lovely, weather pleasant. However, no reservations and dry camping so come prepared with full tank of fresh and empty grey/black. If you get there by early afternoon you'll get a site. Most stay just a night from visiting Grand Canyon, so there's constant movement, and it would be a great place to stay for Sedona. Ride the chairlift at the ski hill - Arizona Snowbowl for great views.

Then head to Grand Canyon if you haven't done that yet - Trailer Village in the park itself is the very best place to stay. Check on reservations by calling - don't rely on the online system.

If you can get a site at Trailer Village then leave the canyon via Hwy 64 east taking you out to 89 north. Then begin your Utah parks - Zion to Bryce to Capitol Reef to Canyonlands/Arches.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for all the input! We realize it will be quite warm but its not very refreshing here in Florida this time of the year, so hopefully the worst of the recent heat wave will dissipate and cool off a bit when we set off?? I think we will try to stay somewhere at a higher elevation for the worst of it. It does cool down at night, no?

I just realized you're coming from Florida so perhaps Arizona and Utah won't feel as hot for you....it's a 'dry' heat. Yes, it will be a little cooler at night. Hopefully, you'll have electric for the days. I think you'll do just fine. You won't be the only one doing this as all the places are extremely popular in summer....just wanted to forewarn you! Start out early morning and take a siesta in the afternoons.

...to Atlanta...

Depends what time and day of the week you will be going through Atlanta. We only drive 200-250 miles a day so really don't mind the small towns and prefer to stay off the interstates when possible. With your time schedule (400+ miles per day), I would probably just bite the bullet and take the shortest all interstate route and try to hit the larger cities like Dallas at non-rush hour.

Why not I-10, I-20 in Texas to Exit 556 (Hwy 69) into Sherman, TX then west on 82/287 north of Dallas to I-40? We used to take 380 west to 287 north of Dallas but it's not so congested that moving further north to Hwy 82/287 is much better. The further you stay away from Dallas, the better.

Archived