Highway 101 California into Oregon

travelinbob

How is Highway 101 up the coast. I imagine that it's slow going with all the towns but how are the roads, are they wide enough ???

Would I have any troubles with a 36 ft 5th Wheel being pulled with a F550. About 60 ft total length.

I would want this to be enjoyable so that's why I'm asking,,,,,,,,,

How is Highway 101 up the coast. I imagine that it's slow going with all the towns but how are the roads, are they wide enough ???

Would I have any troubles with a 36 ft 5th Wheel being pulled with a F550. About 60 ft total length.

I would want this to be enjoyable so that's why I'm asking,,,,,,,,,

TravelinBob,

I've pulled my 38' trailer with my 450 up and down the 101 several times. Road is OK. Only narrow place I had was pulling thru the Ave of the Giants........ But that is on hwy 1. Not the 101. Much of the road is 4 lane. After you get up into the far north of California the road does go to 2 lanes. But is a good drive and you should have no problem pulling your rig.

By the way if you have not visited the Ave of the Giants you should visit it. But park your trailer and just use the 550. Good luck and have fun. Dennis

"Only narrow place I had was pulling thru the Ave of the Giants........ But that is on hwy 1. Not the 101."
-----
The Avenue of the Giants is part of old Hwy. 101; the 31-mile route parallels current 101.

Thanks. Couldn't remember exactly... Just remember rubbing mirrors with a semi as we passed at a giant on either side of the road! Beautiful! In spite of the narrow exchange. Dennis

With our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep, we've driven 101 from San Francisco into Washington often and it's a very good road for big RVs. If you need a good stopping place to explore the giant redwoods, Ancient Redwoods RV in Redcrest can handle your RV. That is where the above-mentioned Avenue of the Giants is. It's neat weaving in and out of them but very doable..just take it slow, as everyone does. It's only for a short time. In this area check out the many easy hiking/walking trails through the redwoods. In Oregon, Cape Blanco State Park doesn't accept reservations and if you can be there in morning when folks are leaving it's a great stop at Port Orford. It has big rig sites, lovely quiet beach to explore and a great lighthouse tour. Have a good trip. It's a favorite of ours.

Highway 101 is a road you have to DRIVE. By that I mean that you are doing twists and turns like in mountain driving. A few hills that will have you going top speed of 40 MPH even with the pedal to the floor. LOL! Not a leisurely drive but a beautiful one! Very few straight aways. No rest stops, so it's intense driving. I'm doing it now. Worth the tedium, but just be aware that your eyes are constantly on the road DRIVING. <G>

Archived