Hmm?

phoenix2013

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the garage or somewhere else?

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hmm, is right, when we were there in January, it looked a bit more congested.

We have been keeping track of you, and glad you are getting around better after your "tune-up". We have not been able to travel this summer so far, but I do think the 5th is going to ride much better after fixing the leveler valve on the Volvo, will let you know.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

By placing the equipment in the corner, are you limiting the amount of material length to the left that you can work with?

It works with the machining operation for today's part A.

But what about tomorrow's part T?

100% concur. That's why most machine shops have their machines at a angle.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Rod, exploring new gigs.

DSC_0330.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

Jim, I've been admonished by the machinists on this forum that I would be buying a toy.

Screen%2BShot%2B07-24-16%2Bat%2B09.52%2B

Hence, I have to treat it like a toy and only machine dainty parts on it. But I would probably move it against the wall someplace for easier wiring of 220V.

shop%2Blayout%2B4.jpg

Just moving pieces around on the 1:1 scale. More stuff needs to come in, metal band saw, welder, plasma cutter, gas torch, tanks, set up welding area, etc. etc. The space is 60' x 30', but unless planned well you can run out of space pretty quick and be back to this.

DSC_0086.JPG

By the way this would be a new venture I am setting up with a partner. How is that for a set of brass ones at the age of 72 and barely new knees.

How is that for a set of brass ones at the age of 72 and barely new knees.

You are an inspiration. I have a 40'X75' shop filled with all kinds of tools and steel fabrication equipment. I have been so busy working for a living for 40+ years that I am looking forward to that day when I can work on those things I have put onto my list as "widgets" I'd like to build and try. I'm a ways from that time of my life yet but closer than I was yesterday though. Your zeal is infectious and encourages me.

I have a Smithy machine for some parts that I can make myself for those widgets. Have capability for tig, mig and arc welding. My wife tells me I will never retire and I deny that statement, but I long for some time off to experience some places and people I have missed out on while working my business. I am especially interested in the HDT side of things with the possibilities of maximally functional bed designs.

Marcel

Rod, exploring new gigs.

DSC_0330.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

Jim, I've been admonished by the machinists on this forum that I would be buying a toy.

Screen%2BShot%2B07-24-16%2Bat%2B09.52%2B

Hence, I have to treat it like a toy and only machine dainty parts on it. But I would probably move it against the wall someplace for easier wiring of 220V.

shop%2Blayout%2B4.jpg

Just moving pieces around on the 1:1 scale. More stuff needs to come in, metal band saw, welder, plasma cutter, gas torch, tanks, set up welding area, etc. etc. The space is 60' x 30', but unless planned well you can run out of space pretty quick and be back to this.

DSC_0086.JPG

By the way this would be a new venture I am setting up with a partner. How is that for a set of brass ones at the age of 72 and barely new knees.

Looks pretty nice. Have a friend who uses a similar type building for his Motorcycle collection and a place to work on them. Is the door at least 14 foot tall? Much better to work out of the sun or liquid sunshine in Florida.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Couple of questions? Is that a air compressor shown in the upper right hand corner? If it is I would do everything I could to put it outside! They are loud and our age we need to save what little hearing we have left. ? 2. Did you have both knees done at the same time? It looks like you are starting to get around better. I love setting up a shop. Would love to build another one but this one will be the last one. We are at 1500 sq ft and the homeowners association and the city won't let me go any bigger. Like you said you run out of room fast so play on the computer before you move in. Take care of yourself and those knees. God bless. Pat

The Old Sailor

Hard to tell from the computer pictures about what type of shelving you're going to put in. I have bought a whole bunch of pallet rack shelving for my shops. I've got a guy that sells used stuff for a great price. Put the wire decking on and it's the cat's meow. I hope that's the stuff you're going to put in. Here's new stuff: http://www.uline.com/Grp_313/Pallet-Racks

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Congrats,

The FIRST tool in there should be a forklift. It looks like a nice smooth shop, an electric forklift would be great in there. If you have never had a real forklift you will be amazed by the versatility one offers. As a one man shop with many large machines, lifting equipment makes all the difference.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Congrats,

The FIRST tool in there should be a forklift. It looks like a nice smooth shop, an electric forklift would be great in there. If you have never had a real forklift you will be amazed by the versatility one offers. As a one man shop with many large machines, lifting equipment makes all the difference.

Steve

Definitely! Even if it's not much more than an electric pallet lift, you'll be able to be more efficient and keep things a lot more organized. Might even keep those knees under warranty a little longer.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Forklift is high on the list of future acquisitions. I can handle the hitches with my super duper-ized engine hoist, as many visitors to my domicile can attest, but forklift will be needed for the "future". Time to lift a bit of a veil.

The reason you see this framing,

brett%2Btruck%2Bassy%2Bjpeg%2B1.jpg

on the shop floor,

shop%2Blayout%2B4.jpg

is because I have a partner in this venture and this framing is the backbone of one of these.

Sonshine%2BExpress%2B1_c.JPG

Hmmmmmm................................

So is Ketcup (sic) getting some where out of the sun to rest on occasion? Looks large enough. Too bad it's not a drive through building, flow through ventilation is nice. Congrats.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod. Kechup will indeed be "welcomed" into the shop to attend to long "delayed" project.

While we are setting up we can't overlook the primary function of any shop, "TO SHIP SOMETHING!"

DSC_0364_zpshhg2beev.jpg

Incidentally, the above picture got posted from photobucket, I had to re-learn how to use this function on their site. Seems the morons on Google finally killed Picassa, transferred all of my albums to Google Photo but no provision (software) yet for posting the pictures in forums, idiots! Now I have to move probably over 1,000 pictures in pile of albums to pohotobucket, to have the reference photos available to my friends on this forum.

Noteven, the above is the reason I didn't answer you earlier. Anyway the individual I am working with is a good friend of mine from years back who also moved to Florida. He is a welder, fabricator, mechanic,used to be instructor in a vocational college teaching, HDT theory and servicing. He used to own a Pete, built his own bed for it (I designed it) and then he didn't like the engine in it (CAT) so he in-framed it to zero time. He built lots of hitches with me and then we did many unique truck conversions together (can't show them to you because of the Picasa idiocy). We'll focus on folks who want something truly unique, beyond cookie cutter beds.

Steel toe boots in 90 degree Florida heat, arghhhhh! Knees are either titanium or cobalt chromium alloy, will have to ask the surgeon which ones I got next time I see him. Google Photo is a pain in the ass, I can deal with it but it is a multi-step process. You can grab whole albums, but they zip them up. So unzip into temporary file, then move the file to photobucket. It works but few days will be wasted.

I wear steel toe boots every day and this summer it's been 85-106 in CA. really don't notice any difference with the steel toe.

I do know I have a lot of large cuts and tears all the way down to the safety toe and no idea how I did it?

I'll keep wearing safety toe boots , most of them are composite now days anyway not steal any longer like the old days.

Archived