Dreaming Small First

artywoof

Personally, I would go this route. Debt free is wonderful! House free is wonderful, too. Why would you want to keep those anchors?

Linda Sand

Well the house gives me a profit leased at $300 a month income so that is something to consider. I personally lean to selling the house but family thinks I should keep it. So I'm torn a little.

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

Consider Class B Camper Van

Chevy Horizon 19'

It has everything needed

If I was to go weekend camping this would be ok, I have seen some I like and are reasonably priced. I have a dog and like to be able to play fetch in a camper, a van would just be to small for that. Plus I do have to much stuff for something that small. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

I signed up for he Workamper Rendevous this year in a few weeks. So that should help me think on the types of jobs that would work for me. They have a small work session on picking a RV and the systems so that should give me some more info on picking the right RV for me. I know I am a year out until this all could start but I'd like to be as informed as possible and make sure I am not stressing trying to find a RV or Job at the last minute. So for I am still leaning to a <30' TT but I will see if that changes over time. Thanks for all the info.

event.png

I signed up for he Workamper Rendevous this year in a few weeks.

Let us all know what you think of the Rendezvous if you would. As a long time subscriber of Workamper News, the idea sounds very interesting, but we have never been to one. Might be good to start a new thread about it when you get back as I'm sure that there are others here who would benefit from more information about it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wow this research thing is so informative but also so confusing on what to concentrate on like camper or truck.

I found a YouTube Vlog for someone who FT in a 13' Scamp.

Interesting that I think I could make this work for me and my dog for the camper. But he makes me worry about my current Subaru Crosstrek and its ability to tow. He mentions HWY Speeds at 50mph with his 4cly, and that to me is just too slow and unsafe. I have done enough car travel and seen enough semi's just not like or treat slow traffic nicely to want to risk this option for a FT choice. It would be ok for a weekend camper but not FT.

So since then I found another Vlog

of a larger 19' Escape trailer and they tow with a Nissan Frontier. This combination seems to be more practical of going with a small set up. I plan to ask about his truck and how it tows in the mountains as I really like the GMC Canyon with 7000lbs towing. I know that limits me to trailer size but I was thinking of MPG mostly when that idea popped into mind.

Until I found this review

That states that the MPG up the mountain would be 3.6 MPG. Well that just seems like maybe a 1/2 ton would likely be a better choice for any mountain travel. But maybe a 19' Escape trailer would do better and be ok.

Mostly I am still wanting to stay small on the camper 13'/16' Scamp to a 19' Escape or even the Artic Fox 25Y. There are some larger trailers I am liking too but right now I want to concentrate on smaller.

For anyone thinking I should go FW and Diesel, I need the pick up bed for storage with a cap for a business idea so I don't want a FW. As for Diesel, I get sick/Migraines from the smell of diesel so I plan to stay away from them. So I'm concentrating on pickup and TT combo.

So thanks for the ideas, I'm going to keep up my research.

Before you give up on the current car, consider a turbo and performance upgrades. Might be cheaper than selling and buying something else. Although, a bigger vehicle is NEVER a bad thing for towing safely. I saw a statement made that it is a good idea to buy a tow vehicle that can support your next 2-3 trailers ahead. None of us buy our long term trailer first. My wife and I started almost 40 years ago with a tube tent over the bed of an El Camino. We're since had tent trailers, travel trailers, truck campers with boats, Class As and now a 38' 3-slide 5er. Life changes are inevitable, so like I've learned since the BoyScouts, Be Prepared. But dont want to be ridiculous about it, cuz stuff is heavy and takes alot of fuel to move it from here to there.

Marcel

Archived