mini splits ac system

HERE is a link to the installation manual for the 28K btu ourtdoor unit. It can drive multiple indoor units. It is 230 volt and takes a dual 20 amp breaker. That leaves you 30 amps on each leg for the rest of your coach.

It also has the required venting (setbacks) described very well.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 units are on the same leg separate 20amp breakers.

That is an "unusual" way to wire them Glenn. Typically they are on separate legs. I have rewired (probably) a dozen Tetons, and that was the way the AC units were.

Nevertheless, it is a simple matter to balance your panel and put in two separate 120 volt mini-splits. OR, if you wish, put in a 230 volt unit like I linked to, and multiple head units. One of the major advantages of the separate units (besides the power requirements) is if you lose the outside unit you still have one air conditioning source. Plus the outside units are smaller and likely easier to place.

The downside is that you have two of them......

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Hadn't considered two condenser units. Where to mount the second one is a question now. do not believe there is a space underneath my Teton for a second unit. It would have to go in front storage area and I would have to supply a duct for it to exhaust. There is a unit that is 110 12k+12k two head. https://www.amazon.com/Thermocore-Systems-Dual-Zone-MiniSplit-Conditioner/dp/B00Q2J1U7A?ie=UTF8&keywords=12000BTU%20Thermocore&linkCode=sl1&linkId=6b06d82b363d9f3228987565e948098e&qid=1439096481&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&sr=8-3&tag=technomadia08-20

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

HERE is a link to the installation manual for the 28K btu ourtdoor unit. It can drive multiple indoor units. It is 230 volt and takes a dual 20 amp breaker. That leaves you 30 amps on each leg for the rest of your coach.

It also has the required venting (setbacks) described very well.

I now wish I had taken a picture, but we ran into a Class A Monaco Executive (May have been 45', but for sure it was larger then our 40'.) with two slides. I'm guessing it was the 2000 range, + or - a few years.) Well kept, with lots of modifications. They had added a drivers side full size awning, which I thought was neat, and also added a second full size awning on the passenger side, to allow two larger awnings on that side.

On the back, he had a welded platformed added. Tied into the hitch and also to other parts of the lower frame. This was a plat form about 2 1/2' deep, and 4-5' wide. Still had a two bar receiver worked into the mix, as he had a Jeep in two behind him too. Sitting on this platform, was a Mitsubishi condenser. The platform and condenser unit had been painted to match the back of his unit.

This was at a fuel stop, and as both of our tanks were topping off I had about a 2 minute conversation with the gent. He said his wife hated the sound of the roof top AC's, so he had gone to the split system. Said he had two units inside, both in the front of the coach. That they added a small ceiling mounted boxed fan that would swivel down out of cabinet made to match the rest of their wood work, and blow cooler air into the bedroom and bathroom areas when needed. (Though he said that they seldom needed this.) He said if he had it to do over again, he would have opted for a larger condenser unit, and added a third unit. But, other then the PITA of routing the coolant lines, and power, it had not been a difficult install. (They had done major renovations and shifted cabinets around at the same time, so much of the inside areas were open to allow routing of the lines from underneath the coach.)

Said they liked it, and we were in Arizona at the time, and he said they were cooler with these two units, then they had been with three roof mounted AC's.

Glenn - Enjoying this thread, and wish you good luck on your mod's....

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

It will be cooler weather before I tackle this. A lot of this is due to my hearing. It is bad. I have terrible ringing in my head and outside noise drowns out sound. I started welding plant construction in 1975. No hearing protection used back then. Damage is done. Those roof acs are loud. 2 condensers is tempting. Especially being stated they are both operating on 1 15amp breaker. WOW. Might even consider solar later if they really that low power consumption.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Great information on both threads, I knew little about AC systems going in and you guys have really helped...still not sure I am going to do the installation myself but at least now I know there are options...if any body does an installation over the coming winter and videos the process or if you come across any helpful videos please pass it along. We are looking at doing it early next spring. Thanks again!

Hadn't considered two condenser units. Where to mount the second one is a question now. do not believe there is a space underneath my Teton for a second unit. It would have to go in front storage area and I would have to supply a duct for it to exhaust. There is a unit that is 110 12k+12k two head. https://www.amazon.com/Thermocore-Systems-Dual-Zone-MiniSplit-Conditioner/dp/B00Q2J1U7A?ie=UTF8&keywords=12000BTU%20Thermocore&linkCode=sl1&linkId=6b06d82b363d9f3228987565e948098e&qid=1439096481&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&sr=8-3&tag=technomadia08-20

That unit is 208-230 Input Voltage

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

yes, I was aware of that. Only space I can see a second condenser unit is in the generator area. Would have to build a box and duct the air. Open door when in use. Keep door closed when traveling for protection. Looking at specs and manual for a 12k 110v unit there is sufficient clearance in generator area. Talked to installer today and he believes it will work there. He also stated if not enough air, pressure would be higher. So gauges will verify installation location. also I have not found a Mitsubishi 12k 110v unit. Found Carrier.

I meant to add to my post about the Class A I saw, that I had commented to my DW as we were driving down the road from fueling up, that I wondered why he just did not leave the bedroom AC unit available for the few times that he might need it to cool down that area. So perhaps a combo of split for say the living area, and preserving the roof top for the bedroom area if ever needed? (And yeah, having enough power to feed a split, and then a roof AC, is a tap dance too....:)!) (And as mentioned, roof tops can be loud... But, when we have ours on 'low fan', and close the direct vent at the bottom of the unit, the noise really does drop...)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I put a 12k split in the bedroom of our home base home at Rainbows End. I have a central unit butttt, we like a COLD bedroom at night, and having lived and worked most of our other life in Europe and Asia, the splits were very familiar to us. I got a cheapo unit from Amazon, selected the 12k (which was over kill) instead of a 9k because the inverter units are capable of either over producing, or underproducing their rating by some %, I've heard 20%. As we experience hurricanes I thought I may need the extra capacity some time if I'm running on the generator. My son and I installed the unit in an afternoon, neither of us were "experienced". This thing rocks ! Silent, and efficient. We cool to mid 60's every night with not a problem. This afternoon, I decided to try running it on my Honda 2000, the generator handled the unit without breaking sweat, running at less than half throttle. If I had a pull behind, I'd definitely have this type of AC instead of the POC roof mount.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

"I have installed many mini splits. They are available with " long line" kits"....Jim, any idea of the max distance ?

Thanks

Gemstone

Not quite comparing apples to apples here, but back in my boat building days we installed Dometic AC's that had separate condenser- evaporator coils. They were water cooled though. The units came in a kit, pre-charged, with whatever length tubing we specified. We ran several that had 25ft+ runs of tubing. These lines were also pre-charged and capped so all we did was connect the fittings. As the connections are tightened the seals in the lines are pierced "Charging" the system.

If the min-splits are the same way, then the tubing length should be able to be customized. The shorter the better because of thermal loss though.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The Dometic units that Jim refers to just above are also avialable in non-water cooled (air cooled) units. They have been used in custom RVs as "basement" air in the past and can be set up as a ducted system instead of remote head units. But it is the same system, just reconfigured. In fact, they are what I have in the design for my semi-trailer (RV). I intend to "supplement" that with a conventional multi-head mini-split.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 2 weeks later...

OK, been rather busy getting set up for new job. Anyway, I been researching LG units. I can fit 2 1 ton 110v units on rear of Teton side by side with 24" separation. I will have to remove my ladder to do this. We have a nice awning on rear of coach and we use it so ladder is off camper usually. And I can put a ladder long enough to get on roof on HDT. This is placing them close to tail lights but not covering them. The top will be close to bottom of window. This will clear license plate. I could relocate it on frame for units and lower them. These units have a SEER of 13. Finding these units for 1kish with just units, no lines,wires. I can flare tubing, have benders if needed. Also am good with silver solder.

"I have installed many mini splits. They are available with " long line" kits"....Jim, any idea of the max distance ?

Thanks

Gemstone

you can get 25 ft, up to 50 ft, and then up to 75 ft kits. You lose a little efficiency and the refgt charge needs adjusting but its doable and I have done it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Are you going to check out the heat pump option on those Glen? IMHO it would be worth it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Also keep in mind that the evaporator unit, the interior unit that is, needs a condensate drain .....so on a wall hung unit you will need to run the drain either out the exterior wall or down through the floor. The refrigeration lines, electrcal and drain are usually in a bundle that can run out the back of the unit through the exterior wall or horizontally through a partition or straight down so you have a few options.

I would try to run the lines horizontally to a closet , keeping the unit close to the closet, and then go down if possible.

The living/dining room is simple. On my Teton there is a crawl space between rooms. Access to water pump, etc. I can come up thru floor in there and mount unit on wall above cabinets. Bed room not so easy. No where do I have a space large enough. A ceiling mount I could run lines back to same area. I really not sure roof is thick enough. Have not found a 110 unit to get specs.

The unit I installed (earlier post) is a Pioneer, VERY happy so far with the unit. One caution, the condensate pan on these units is really really shallow, make sure you get the angle right !

Got mine from Amazon.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Do ya'll think a 12k mini split would cool/heat as good as a 15,5 Dometic ducted? Want to stay with 110 and largest is 12k. I think the ducts would loose some efficiency. Getting rather frustrated with our new dometic.

Archived