Finally made progress with BaseCamp for Garmin

justRich

BaseCamp has been a total frustration for me up until yesterday. It could not find simple addresses. (using BaseCamp on the computer for pre-planning)

The break through came when I was able to transfer the GPS unit map database to the computer.

Caveat: If the GPS is attached to the computer, the menu "Maps" will show "City Navigator North America NT 2017.2" - however, the search function does not work with it!

BaseCamp must have map version 2017.2 installed, without the GPS unit attached to the computer, . . .it must show "City Navigator North America NT 2017.2" under "Maps" on the menu.

"Search" will work after 2017.2 is installed on the computer.

But Wait! There's a trick to that too. Use Control-Alt-A to bring up the advanced search box. Enter the address first, skip the street, then enter the city. Next enter the street name - BC should show a drop down menu from which to choose the exact street.

But Wait! There's possible snag here too. . . for example, this street: N 52nd St should be entered as: 52nd <-- the prefix must be dropped.

It's non-intuitive and clear as mud to start.

Hopefully, this post will help those, who like me, have been frustrated with BaseCamp and never got off square one.

In order to get the map database installed on the computer one must have the GPS unit attached to the computer (via USB) and have Garmin Express installed. From there it's up to you to figure out the process of copying the map to the computer. I can't detail the step by step process for that process, but it needs to be done.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

When you do your update to the GPS there is an option to download to the computer.

I have given up on Base Camp and Street Atlas, both are overly complicated for how I use my GPS and neither are intuitive to use. I only have them installed because they have up to date maps while my Streets is showing its age. I still use Streets, nice and simple.

I don't have any problems using the GPS, why Garmin can't make a simple Base Camp similar to the GPS is beyond me.

My very first experience with S&T was that it was complicated. It takes time and practice to learn new software. I will continue to use S&T until such time that I feel that it's no longer useful. Too bad Microsoft did not keep S&T under development.

~Rich

Thanks for the post. I love to hate BaseCamp. Has to be one of the worse user interfaces created for a mapping application. I haven't given up yet and plan to give your set up a try. Don't laugh, but for our current trip I sat outside with the Garmin and Google maps and manually set on screen waypoints a long the route on the Garmin. Took less than 10 minutes.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

I don't recall having any problems with S&T but after this many years I don't really remember. At least Streets using some normal computer conventions,ctrl+,ctrl- etc). None of that works in Base Camp. All I want to do it put in my start, stop and waypoints, calculate. Google Maps and CoPilot work reasonably easily. I am at Escapade and going to most of the technology seminars, especially mapping.

Actually I am happy to hear we all are having problems and frustrations, not just me.

Well I'm back to that stupid BaseCamp. It seems that BaseCamp can't find places. . .such as Lake Tahoe, Great Salt Lake, Lake Powell, etc. . .even though they can be seen on the map interface. Streets & Trips and Google Maps will remain in my planning repertoire for a while longer.

~Rich

Archived