Anybody Try a free standing Air Conditioner?

coachmac9

Singwing12, I guess you have a unique layout in your RV. Does it have a rear bathroom or something else on the rear wall that prohibits mounting the evaporator there? What model RV do you have, so I can look up the floorplan and give you an idea of evaporator placement?

Chip

I saw a 34 ft bus conversion last week that had two mini splits, the condensors were pretty much hidden inside with all ducting down, I believe there were extra fans. There was no visible grills on the sides. There wasn't really much I could take a picture of. As for life, they had driven 30,000 miles this year.

With care the tubing can be routed most anywhere. My front comes through the floor, under the dash, then up the right A pillar then back to the center above the windshield. One thing to consider is either mount the evaporator at a bit of a slant or add an extra drain at the other end to a T. Mine was kinda set up for the second drain so, it was quite easy. These things make a LOT of water.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

I saw a 34 ft bus conversion last week that had two mini splits, the condensors were pretty much hidden inside with all ducting down, I believe there were extra fans. There was no visible grills on the sides. There wasn't really much I could take a picture of. As for life, they had driven 30,000 miles this year.

With care the tubing can be routed most anywhere. My front comes through the floor, under the dash, then up the right A pillar then back to the center above the windshield. One thing to consider is either mount the evaporator at a bit of a slant or add an extra drain at the other end to a T. Mine was kinda set up for the second drain so, it was quite easy. These things make a LOT of water.

Yep, all that water is what it is pulling out of the air. The amount of water pulled out can be somewhat controlled by the evaporator temperature and the coil design, air flow and surface area.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Singwing12, I guess you have a unique layout in your RV. Does it have a rear bathroom or something else on the rear wall that prohibits mounting the evaporator there? What model RV do you have, so I can look up the floorplan and give you an idea of evaporator placement?

Chip

98 Fleetwood Discovery Diesel pusher...I think there are places to mount the parts, I just have zero experience with AC work so I am a little hesitant if its going to be an involved job that requires specific skills or knowledge. I don't mind tackling any project if I have at least a clue about how to do it. I have replaced the roof, hot water heater and a lot of smaller projects so it's not the physical labor that I am shy of...just the technical aspects of it!!! I looked on Youtube but could find very little information or videos on the subject.

OK, because you have a DP that leaves out mounting it on your receiver as it would get in the way of servicing the engine, unless you built a swing out bracket to mount it on. I would mount it above the engine grate, centered on the wall and spaced off of it about a foot. That should be sufficient clearance but read the owners manual to be sure. Another option would be to mount it with just a few inches of clearance and swing it out so it's perpendicular to the rear of the RV when running. The outside unit is noisy and with the headboard of your bed on the opposite side of the wall it would probably transfer a lot of this noise inside just like a roof mounted AC does unless you swing it away from the wall. The mount would have to be sturdy so it doesn't vibrate.

The evaporator assembly is easy, hanging from the inside of the ceiling in the bedroom just far enough away from your cabinets mounted over the headboard so the doors can lift up to open. You could also remove those middle doors and mount the evaporator to where the doors were, losing that overhead storage space but making for a much cleaner installation. The evaporator placement is easier than the compressor/condenser unit.

Good luck.

Chip

outside unit is noisy

Maybe with an older unit, the new inverter type make very little noise. One of mine is right under my bed, I can't hear it at all. I sometimes get a 'sense' of it running but, even that is rare. Generally if the radio is on, I can't hear either inside or outside unit. I was in a VERY expensive conversion the other day running three roof airs. You couldn't carry on a normal conversation.

I'm not familiar with them but, I would think a large diesel pusher would have some basement/luggage space that could be commandeered with some proper ducting. Is there any space between frame rails in front of front axle, that's where I put one? Is there enough extra space in engine compartment?

Any HVAC company can help you out with all or part of the install. They will come to your location.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Maybe with an older unit, the new inverter type make very little noise. One of mine is right under my bed, I can't hear it at all. I sometimes get a 'sense' of it running but, even that is rare. Generally if the radio is on, I can't hear either inside or outside unit. I was in a VERY expensive conversion the other day running three roof airs. You couldn't carry on a normal conversation.

I'm not familiar with them but, I would think a large diesel pusher would have some basement/luggage space that could be commandeered with some proper ducting. Is there any space between frame rails in front of front axle, that's where I put one? Is there enough extra space in engine compartment?

How much ventilation are does the compressor unit require? Do you power ventilate yours, or is it mounted in an outside compartment?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The fan that exists on the condensing unit is adequate. Just need to make sure that the hot air coming off of the unit can escape without being recirculated. The heat in the compressor is what wears it out by breaking down the oil and starting acid formation. Then the acid attacks the windings.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

How much ventilation are does the compressor unit require? Do you power ventilate yours, or is it mounted in an outside compartment?

Front one is between frame rails right behind front bumper

webFrontCondensor5831_zpsljvrb0mm.jpg

Rear is mounted in area of original AC condensor.

webRearCondensor5815_zpscr2eabeo.jpg

Dick

Thanks Somewhere.....your experience is valuable.

On the "other thread" discussing mini-splits I posted a link to the installation manual for Mitsubishi coolers. It has the clearances in it. They are very specific.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well done Somewhere....nice to see an example of it done.

Archived