Verizon to disconnect unlimited data user who use "extraodinary" amounts of data.

It will be interesting to see the fallout from this. I always believed unlimited meant unlimited.

It was just a year or so ago that the FCC slapped AT&T for throttling its "unlimited" customers. The FCC essentially said that "unlimited means unlimited". The problem is that Verizon will do what it wants and the affected customers will have to hire an attorney and seek redress. A costly and slow process.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

It was just a year or so ago that the FCC slapped AT&T for throttling its "unlimited" customers. The FCC essentially said that "unlimited means unlimited". The problem is that Verizon will do what it wants and the affected customers will have to hire an attorney and seek redress. A costly and slow process.

Not necessarily. Within the last couple of years, Verizon announced plans to throttle unlimited data customers. They backed down when the FCC got wind of it. No lawsuits ever materialized because the plan was never implemented.

Verizon has a right to take steps like this to protect the integrity of their network. What they don't have the right to do is cherry pick who they will target for these moves. In other words, if an unlimited data customer using 100 gb per month is a detriment to the network, then so is a tiered data customer who uses 100 gb per month. Yet, Verizon has no intention of eliminating those tiered data services. This is all about money, it has nothing to do with network limitations or abuse.

Verizon will eventually eliminate unlimited data plans completely. What they're trying to do is accomplish that without losing customers, particularly business and government accounts. They've already reduced the unlimited data customer rolls tremendously just by eliminating phone subsidies, raising prices by $20 per month, and offering cheaper data packages, which appealed to those on unlimited data who didn't use very much data.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Guys,

In today's world the unlimited is like lifetime guarantee. NO joy when they go out of business. I had 100mps down and 5 up, with a 350GB limit, but since cutting the cord we missed Comedy Central and a few other channels so much that we signed up for Sling TV Orange plan for $19.95 a month thinking that would be enough but then we found the Blue Plan was only 5 bucks more and included more channels we like and dropped ESPN. I wish they made a no Sports channel package as we don't watch except for the Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics all covered fine by over the air local HD digital channels.

We have two Amazon Fire TV (full size, not small stick) with voice, a Voyo Mini computer in the Spare Bedroom, and started watching a lot of Netflix and Amazon movies but lately series we missed like Boardwalk empire which we binged and finished. Even before getting sling TV we used within 10GB of our max and there are stiff charges for overages. So we just changed our plan and for 10 bucks more our speed went from 100/5 to 200mbps down/20mbps up, with unlimited bandwidth for just that ten bucks. Now we don't have to worry about our limit or sweat it. I could live with only over the air digital TV, but movies and fast Internet would be tough.

I guess until they have the Internet at broadband speeds and unlimited bandwidth somehow RVing too we will just have to stay part time. I understand the dilemma of having limited WiFi service shared by all the campers in a park. But the cell phone carriers need to stop building up streaming speed 4G and now 5G soon, then throttling it. I'm watching Sling/Blue/FX/Thor movie in the background on Sling TV application on my 27" desktop in 1/4 of the screen. I am moving the second older non 4k Fire TV that is on my desktop now to the bedroom TV since Sling gets me all the news and movies I could want.

So be aware that even the stix n brix has limits, but unlimited bandwidth, while a bit more, is at least a reality now.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We have managed to pile up a usage of 282.891gb (yep, giga bytes) of data usage this last billing cycle according to Verizon. Of that, 83% is listed as Web and Apps and 8% as Video. If you are a Verizon customer, check out the sub-categories of usage and you may be like me, left scratching his head over what is clearly some really bogus accounting. For example, of the 83% of our total usage, 77% was listed as Portals and Search!

I'm going to call this a smelly fish and highly recommend if you are on the receiving end of Verizon cutting you off you demand a precise accounting of data usage over several billing cycles to prove their justification for doing so. Frankly, I don't believe they'll be able to and I seriously call into question the accuracy of any of their accounting when it comes to data access and usage.

As for us, we just started a new 2 year contract with them which included a renewal of our data plan - unlimited. I will obviously be holding them to that contract.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

As for us, we just started a new 2 year contract with them which included a renewal of our data plan - unlimited. I will obviously be holding them to that contract.

According to all the online gurus, this won't be applied to people on contract.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We have managed to pile up a usage of 282.891gb (yep, giga bytes) of data usage this last billing cycle according to Verizon. Of that, 83% is listed as Web and Apps and 8% as Video. If you are a Verizon customer, check out the sub-categories of usage and you may be like me, left scratching his head over what is clearly some really bogus accounting. For example, of the 83% of our total usage, 77% was listed as Portals and Search!

If you're using your phone as a hotspot the Verizon data "allocation" system doesn't know that your data was used for video. The only video it knows about is stuff you've watched directly on your phone. It can't tell what any of the hotspot (or tethered) data is used for.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have the 40G Verizon plan and have not gone over that limit.We do not stream video except for a occasional U tube or news feed We have a couple of TV sets to watch movies and there is always red box.We understand there are folks who will use 100G or more a month streaming videos even going from RV park to Rv park to do do.

I am sure the unlimited data plans will go away due to the actions of a few. It will have no effect on our usage.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

As with many things, different perspectives and opinions:)!

Some feel that those that consume "lots" of data, are not paying their fair share. ("Lots" is another on of those 'different perspectives' :)!)

Some thoughts:

>It could be said, that the larger data users, are to be thanked by all, for pushing the cellular companies to expand overall capacity.

>We all pay 'junk' FCC and other related taxes and fees on our bills, which are to help offset the costs to the carriers for their infrastructure.

>I know some people who do not have smart phones at all. But they too have benefited by the cellular expansion of capacity and towers and overall infrastructure, as they now have improved voice and text. (Are they too not paying their 'fair share'?)

>At least at the current time, this is a free country. Each and everyone of us have the right to choose the cellular plan that meets our needs, or not to get it at all. So how is it 'unfair' for a person (Like myself and that mean old Doc Joel.) to have 'unlimited data plans'. Pay for the extra fees that the carriers dictate for such plans. What business is it of anyone else what kind of plan I have? How much I care to pay for it? How much data I care to use?

As mentioned, it's all about money. And for now, this is how the system works. It has changed, and looks like it is changing again now. But as all of us have read on this board, future changes with other companies providing major data capacity plans are in the design and intracompany negotiations phases now. So what is today, and might be the next day - will most likely change again in the near (5-10 years) future. And I suspect, lower data costs will be the result.

It was interesting, and sort of a lot similar, a conversation we heard on Glacier National Park yesterday. Traffic back up on the narrow roads going to Logan Pass, as a bike club of about 25 bikes were pedaling their way up the hill. One gent on the bus commented that 'They pay no taxes directly from the purchase of licensing of the bikes, towards the upkeep of the roadways, and in many states, the hundreds of millions 're-directed' from roadway repairs and new construction fro gasoline taxes, to build exotic and very nice bikes only lanes and pathways.' On the same theme as some comments in this thread, his ending sentence was 'How is that fair to us that are paying the gasoline taxes. And how come they quite often seem 'we own the road' attitude, and are less then courteous in moving over like say an RV, when traffic is backed up behind them. And, it is an exception for me to see them obey the posted signs, like Stop signs.' ---- And you know, I could sure see his perspective...

OH well. Verizon about to change UDP? I'll come up with the best plan that I can, and move on. And I certainly feel that is my right, and no one else's business:)! And on Edit: Note, this is all via my Verizon UDP plan. I do not abuse park RV WiFi systems, except with very few exceptions, when the park itself says they have a robust enough system to handle the traffic. And we all know, those are few and far apart.

Best to all, may the stream be with you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Back to OP's original post . . .

which was about wireless networks which are limited by the electromagnetic spectrum ("physics"), unlike wired networks, which are not.

This Fortune article is from 2015, but I think it's spot on for OP's post: Here's why cell carriers freak out when you use your unlimited data

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Note that the letter booting users says that the network is a shared resource and they want everyone to have a great experience. What the letter doesn't mention is network management or congestion. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with network management. I interpret it to mean that they don't mind you using the network, but how do they explain $450 per month for 100 GB for one customer when someone else is paying a whole lot less for a whole lot more.

I agree that bandwidth is finite, as others have posted. Others have already posted that so is fiber and copper bandwidth. In the past, when trying to justify price increases and metered billing, landline ISPs had been warning of an internet apocalypse for years. Somehow, it never happened. In fact, speeds and bandwidth capacity have been increasing as fast as (or faster than) consumption. Read this article: http://gizmodo.com/engineers-just-broke-the-capacity-limit-for-fiber-optic-1714070706

In February, Verizon announced that they hope to launch 5G service next year. According to them, "The network is going to be designed to accommodate billions of machine-to-machine connections". Read the article here: http://www.gizmag.com/verizon-wireless-5g-lte-a-testing/41993/.

Wireless companies are talking about replacing wired connections to provide 'fixed wireless' service to homes and business. Does that sound like a supplier that's running out of space? In my opinion, this has nothing to do with congestion and everything about revenue. As a Verizon shareholder, I applaud the effort. As a Verizon customer, I am disappointed.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Michael,

Well stated.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As we first reported on last week - things have suddenly gotten very uncertain for those with Verizon unlimited data plans.

We've been tracking the news and rumors constantly since, and here is an update on what we know so far.

In summary:

1. Yes, Verizon is indeed moving to force a "small number" of "extraordinary" data users off of unlimited data plans. So far, only those out of contract are impacted.
  2. In a completely separate move, Verizon is also cracking down on some Verizon rental line providers, in some cases shutting off lines with no notice.
  3. Some users with UDP lines in hotspots and routers have suddenly (but so far seemingly temporarily) lost their connectivity with a "4G Data Block" placed on their lines.

More of the story and the details we know so far:

Verizon Update: Three Way Assault Underway on Unlimited Data Plans

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

I opted over a year ago to pay for tethering in the event that they would start taking issue with multiple devices using the data plan. Appears it was a good move.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 1 month later...

Archived