OT: the danger (?) of a cracked windshield

I have a relatively new toad (2016 Chevy Traverse, with 11,000 miles). Today I parked the car at a fast food joint and had a quick lunch. When I git back to the car there was a "S" shaped crack from the bottom of the windshield going about 8" towards the middle, right in front of the driver. I'm positive it wasn't there when I parked it. Now I'm sure my insurance will cover this, but I am in the middle of Colorado and there is no glass place anywhere near. If needed, I can get to one but it is a 2 hour drive.

Question is, if I don't do anything until I get to my home base in Houston a 4 months, am I risking serious problems? I'm prepared to do what it takes but I also want to try to take the easiest way to fix this.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Call SafeLite glass repair. They will either send a tech to you or will give you the nearest store. Most insurance companies cover windshields 100%. At leat they did when we had our dually.

x2

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I've seen friends drive around with big cracked windshields for months without problems. I can't personally let it go that long because I'm paranoid, but I have had to drive around for a few days, so i put some clear tape over the crack and hoped for the best. I had to replace my 2500HD windshield once, it was only $170 so i paid out of pocket instead of bothering to go through insurance.

Call your insurance now, that will get a note in your file and save possible aggravation later. Your agent should be able to find you a repair truck that will come to you and replace the glass. Our last repair took about a half hour and was done in our driveway.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

"S" shaped crack from the bottom of the windshield going about 8" towards the middle, right in front of the driver.

Most states a crack in front of the driver can get you a ticket.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Gorilla tape below your sight line will hold that glass for a while till you can get the work done.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Too much hand wringing over nothing. On 2 different vehicles, I've driven home with a hole completely through the glass. The 1st was a horse strike on a '71 Nova, that took most of the passenger side out of the windshield. The 2nd was a '11 GMC with a rock from between the duals on a gravel trailer. Cracks everywhere, glass shards everywhere, and a hole I could put a fist through. Admittedly, those vehicles aren't as engineered as a package as the OP, but duct tape, packing tape, or Gorilla tape isn't going to stop crack progression either. Keep an eye on it, expect it to grow, travel on.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

x3 to the Safelite option. If you are in the middle of Colorado, it suggests you may be away from the speeds of Interstate driving, and may also mean you are more likely to be ticketed by State Patrol if they see you driving with a crack in the driver's line of site (you can ask me how I know :rolleyes: )

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Contacted my insurance company (Geico) and they will have Safelite replace the windshield next Monday for the deductible of $50. I'm having it replaced at their shop, since that is easiest for me (and I'm more comfortable for a shop replacement than a field replacement). Best way to handle it, in my opinion...

Thanks for your replies.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Darryl....gorilla tape will not keep the crack from spreading but it will hold that glass together if it split in 2. The windshield could possibly hold together even then but why take the chance. The tape is cheap.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

If the plastic in between won't keep the glass together, then there isn't a tape made that will. If it makes you feel better, use it. If you like to throw dollar bills out the window while driving down Hollywood Blvd., who am I to tell you are foolish?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Well this foolish person is not a windshield expert so I will bow to your unlimited knowledge.

Windshieds of vehicles are two pieces of glass basically laminated together with a film in between. The reason for this is to keep the occupants inside should there be a head on collision. They have been made like this for many years, even before seat belts. It is very difficult to breakout a windshield. I know this from my many years in the fire service and having extricated many more people than I care to remember.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

Archived