Douglas Pass - HDT Proving Ground

bmzero

Yesterday, we made the trip from Moab, UT to Vernal, UT. To get there, we travelled through Douglas Pass in Colorado. With an elevation of 8,268', it was a true test of nerves, torque, the hitch, truck and trailer brakes and the engine brake. Despite me driving on full alert mode for about an hour and half, the views were outstanding. This was definitely the most breathtaking drive of the trip. I was glad to have the D16 on this leg of the trip. :D

I would highly recommend this road to anyone traveling near Dinosaur, CO, but be prepared for a few pucker moments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Pass

Here are some photos.

27815287333_4279632f91_b.jpg

28148557570_d74efb458e_b.jpg

28148639790_b0337354a3_b.jpg

27815385073_1be0d077e9_b.jpg

27815053224_35f5e74af0_b.jpg

27815353243_3564fa8edc_b.jpg

27815342143_fd4c6b2a2a_b.jpg

28148543630_646861d709_b.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Gorgeous pics. I long for the day when we'll be able to travel out West on a more regular basis.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Yesterday, we made the trip from Moab, UT to Vernal, UT. To get there, we travelled through Douglas Pass in Colorado. With an elevation of 8,268', it was a true test of nerves, torque, the hitch, truck and trailer brakes and the engine brake. Despite me driving on full alert mode for about an hour and half, the views were outstanding. This was definitely the most breathtaking drive of the trip. I was glad to have the D16 on this leg of the trip. :D

I would highly recommend this road to anyone traveling near Dinosaur, CO, but be prepared for a few pucker moments.

Here are some photos.

Zero,

That first image looks just like one of our properties in the high country in Oregon .........except........our buildings are not that ........"modern".

OK, now fess-up.........being a old racer I'd bet you drifted around the corner in the second image at least......... 16 MPH..........

Drive on...........(stay on the right side of the ........guard-rail)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Ha ha. One thing I learned early on is that 70'+ at almost 50k lbs. deserves constant attention and respect. If there was any drifting, it was completely unintentional. :ph34r:

That is one of the best things about living in Colorado, we get to see sights like that frequently. I have traveled that highway a few times, and yes, it does require some respect. A few load speed switch backs, some tight two lane road in areas but the view in some places looks like it did back in the old west. Glad you enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who plans on traveling through that area to stop and enjoy the view.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

Please tell us that the kids were watching what was outside and not the TV in the back...

Those guard rails looked awful clean, either nobody knows about that ride, or the body count is too high (think Tall of the Dragon).

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Please tell us that the kids were watching what was outside and not the TV in the back...

Absolutely. We have kept the TV off through all of the good stuff. That was the #1 goal of this trip; to expose them to parts of the country they had not seen yet. Mission accomplished.

Those guard rails looked awful clean, either nobody knows about that ride, or the body count is too high (think Tall of the Dragon).

#9 on Colorado's most dangerous roads - http://www.outtherecolorado.com/the-10-most-challenging-drives-in-colorado/

Here are some photos.

27815287333_4279632f91_b.jpg

28148639790_b0337354a3_b.jpg

27815053224_35f5e74af0_b.jpg

27815353243_3564fa8edc_b.jpg

27815342143_fd4c6b2a2a_b.jpg

28148543630_646861d709_b.jpg

DUDE,

You have some " BIG HORNS" to drive that big rig through those tight and High elevated roads..

Either you have the nerves of a bear, or the "Marine Corps" taught you well!!

Nevertheless, very impressive sir!!

( I'm currently at MCB Camp Lejeune N.C)

thank you,

The Few

Dolly, it should be "stay on the correct side of the guard rail"! Everything is mistaken these days.

Hero,

You sure hit-tha-geezer-"correctly"-on-tha-head with your "correction".

Funny guard-rail-story (or actually NO-guard-rail.....story)......way out Past the Middle-of-nowhere in the Southwest corner of Oregon is highway 140. Lakeview OR is on the west end of the highway 140 and Winnemucca,NV is about 200 miles to the East end of Hyw 140 only a few folks on large ranches live in the 200 miles and a lot of antelope and wild horses. Much of Hyw 140 is steep and curvey with two very large shear 1,000 foot cliffs that the highway snakes down with grades of 8% to 11% and not ONE INCH of guard rail on both of the cliff grades.

The locals.....(ranchers mostly) wanted the road paved the state said the paving would be within budget but the massive amounts of guard rails need would cost way too much..........one old grizzled rancher said ......."oh heck just post a sign at each of the grade at each of the cliffs that says.......Caution 1,000 foot drop-off with NO shoulder or guard-rail"........you know what when folks break over the edge of the grade and peer out over a 1,000 foot shear cliff a few feet from their front wheel........everyone is VERY careful!!

While the cliffs are shear they do curve in and out so the entire roadway down the cliff is back to back curves with 15 to 25MPH limits and few folks seem to want to exceed the limits.

Some of Dolly-the-paint-horse best trails are near Hyw 140 so the Dollytrolley knows the road very well.......when we descend the cliffs I just drop into 3 rd gear and then toggle the Jake from high going into the curves and low Jake out of the curves sorta the Phantom-of-the-ophra playing the organ.......almost never touch the service brakes.

In the dead of winter we have made the entire trip and never met a vehicle some days.

Drive on..........(what guard........rails???)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

DUDE,

You have some " BIG HORNS" to drive that big rig through those tight and High elevated roads..

Either you have the nerves of a bear, or the "Marine Corps" taught you well!!

Nevertheless, very impressive sir!!

( I'm currently at MCB Camp Lejeune N.C)

thank you,

Ha ha. Definitely tense moments.

Enjoy the humidity at Lejeune.

Brit What great pictures of country that we will see again. Haven't been on that tour route yet but hope to make one trip at least.out there with the 5er (when its fixed). I don't think Shirley will let me make some of those places you have been but maybe she will let me get close. The last time we were out there I was in a 150 Ford and she spent a lot of time in my lap when she would look over the edge and see nothing but the bottom! But we still got to see some pretty country. Have a great trip but most of all stay safe!!! Pat

The Old Sailor

A lot of Colorado mountain roads don't have guard rails. In the Rockies, when the road is hugging a cliff with a drop off on the outer side, a guard rail would prevent snow removal during winter storms. The other benefit is that, when one slides off the road due to the lack of guard rail, the side of the truck will not be dinged up prior to its descent.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Ran that in 1995, 2 times with 53ft dry van. Grossing 79250 with a 260" Wheelbase Condo Semi. It was I thought the first trip a drive of a lifetime. Second time I know it was. And its on our list to visit in 3 years. And the views are out of this world on that road.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Pete

event.png

Archived