Overkill? Never!

JPL

To all: I didn't know that there was a right way or a wrong way to post. I thought that you posted the info that you had in a readable manner.

To jblscopper For you I will keep my post to 2 Words.

For Everyone else I just wanted people to learn from my unintetional turn of events. You have to keep that right side under control and on the pavement! I've been towing 5er's for 13 years. 5 years with the Volvo. This 2015 43' Open Range Mesa Ridge is the biggest yet. Never had a problem before but I will learn from this issue. From my wrong way post I hope everyone can just be more aware. They ordered the parts yesterday and expect them a week from fri. There is definitively structural damage and we won't know the extent until we get it back on wheels so it can be checked out. I hope this post doesn't cause anymore negative replies. Pat

The Old Sailor

To Pat and others, I do not need a two word post... what I need is an elimination of glaucoma in both eyes that makes it difficult to focus. Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Jim

Pat,

Sorry to hear about totaling the rig. What was it before it became totaled?

Brad

Never mind I just found your other post.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The concept of "over kill" from pick-up owners that see a HDT towing a RV trailer will always be there. When I am told our HDT is over kill I generally smile and reply, "I like over kill" rather than berate the PU owner for his choice of vehicle.

Randy, I have a question. In my work all of our reports identify each separate vehicle by the word "Unit" followed by a number designator, ie: Unit1, Unit2, etc.

[new paragraph]

The "over kill" people are usually the male half of a couple that I have never met. These males usually come by alone and unaccompanied by their wives. I again reiterate that I usually haven't met the female half of the couple.

[another new paragraph]

Having the above knowledge, do you think I be terribly out of line if, having been told my vehicle is over kill, I simply replied that his wife had never complained about the size of my "Unit" and had certainly never said it was "over kill"?

[last new paragraph]

Do you think I should keep my taser handy if I utilize that method of conversation?

PS: Was the number of paragraphs in this post "over kill"?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Randy, I have a question. In my work all of our reports identify each separate vehicle by the word "Unit" followed by a number designator, ie: Unit1, Unit2, etc.

[new paragraph]

The "over kill" people are usually the male half of a couple that I have never met. These males usually come by alone and unaccompanied by their wives. I again reiterate that I usually haven't met the female half of the couple.

[another new paragraph]

Having the above knowledge, do you think I be terribly out of line if, having been told my vehicle is over kill, I simply replied that his wife had never complained about the size of my "Unit" and had certainly never said it was "over kill"?

[last new paragraph]

Do you think I should keep my taser handy if I utilize that method of conversation?

PS: Was the number of paragraphs in this post "over kill"?

???

To Pat and others, I do not need a two word post... what I need is an elimination of glaucoma in both eyes that makes it difficult to focus. Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Jim

No, what you need is the same thing that many other here think I need....a lesson in manners. Your original post didn't say "I couldn't read it because of my poor eyesight and your lack of paragraphs". You plainly stated (And I paraphrase) "You post might have had some interest but I didn't bother to read it because you didn't format it in the proper way, such as an english major would."

Now, the removal of the glaucoma in your eyes might help you see better, but that will not assist you with the way you responded in your initial post. You quickly and succinctly chastised Pat about his lack of proper usage of paragraph structure. I'm just a dumb old redneck and I ain't had a course of study in readin', writin', or math (can't spell arithmitic, or is it arithmetic) in years but I understand and speak plain old english fairly well. Your original post came through loud and clear.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Well Big5er, since I seem to now be on your s____ list, why did you not mention "somewhereinusa, Pat & Pete, and Peety" all of whom said almost the same thing.

I have been around since the creation of the MTD forum before it morphed into HDT also. During this time I do not recall ANY episode of me responding in a negative manner to any post. If I offend you that much, its been nice.

Jim

Big5ere Thanks for the post. That was exactly how I felt when I read his post. It didn't sound like a eye sight issue. Now that is behind us and the new posting 'It's Totaled" moves on.

jblscooper I Hope your glaucoma is better. Pat

The Old Sailor

Jeez, you guys need Dr. Pepper.

Hope you had some this morning ..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We left the Campark CG in Williamsburg Va (757-565-2101) on the 8th heading for the Bethpage CG(804-758-4349) in Urbanna Va (50 miles away). They have a great CG with a water park that kids love. We had our 11 year grandson with us. He is the only reason we were going over there.

On the way I'm on a 2 lane road and had a car in the other lane. So i just moved over a little. then the 5er went off the pavement. 10 to 15 seconds I've got it back on hard surface. The truck never went off the road. I thought everything was ok. Then my cell rings and Shirley (DW) tells me the 5er is listing to the right. So the first time I can I pull over I do. I crawled under the frame and see all 3 spring hangers bent. The springs were all out of shape but not broken. The tires aren't hitting the frame.

Shirley tells me the trailer rocked back and forth so bad she thought it was going to roll over. It was throwing mud so bad it got on her car. The left rear jack really dug in and was throwing that mud up under the frame. I never felt that anything really bad was going on. The Truck was in control all of the time. If I was towing with a pickup I am not sure what the outcome would have been.

So I get back on the road. After several miles I stopped again and check tire temps.and bearing temps. Both sides within 8 degrees. We were about 20 miles away when it happened. We went on but never got over 45. When we got there I was really worried abut the leveling jacks being able to get her to level out. It did.When we went inside it looked like a bomb had gone off in the den. Broken glass and stuff everywhere. But still it could have been worse.

We had a great weekend and the grandson loved the whole weekend. Even the excitement. If you are ever out here visit Bethpage. A little on the high side but a great place to visit. All sorts of things to do at the CG but not much in town except some antique shops. We left on Monday and headed home (90 miles) stopping to ck temps several times. No problems running at 50.

Took pictures and go to 3 places on Tuesday. On wen I took it to East Coast Trailer Sales (757-465-2200). They sale and service Car Hauler Trailers and any kind of truck you can afford to tow with. Their shop has 12 bays 80 ' long with big doors at each end. They also have a CNC polishing machine. They blocked it up ,leveled it and started checking it out. Everything but the axles will get new parts that were ordered from Lippert. On fri got the word from the insurance people that the first phase ck for $3700 was being sent. Hope to have it back by next week ready to do the 2nd phase.

When the guy was finished doing the quote the insurance adjuster (Good Sams and they have been great) and I were standing back looking at the right side and he noticed a crack from the rear corner of the slide up to the roof, There was also a big dimple on the froward corner up to the roof. That is the only slide on the right side. I talked to the RV dealer we got the 5er from. He said they wouldn't want to do the repair. He said Factory. I called them but I have to send pictures.

Will try to get some more that really show the wall damage. On the inside wall that separates the den from the kitchen there is a broken stud sticking thru the wall. It looks like a bone sticking thru the skin. The floor in the kitchen feels funny. But the whole thing worries me IRT what have I done? and can it be fixed "good as new"? Only time will tell. But it could have been worse. Just another mountain to climb. And I didn't even have a drink the whole weekend. Hope this post wasn't to long. Is my Volvo overkill? Never!! Pat

The Old Sailor

Neither an English Prof nor a computer guru (laptop, desktop, or tablet)......but "my" paragraphing worked for me!

BTW - the "two word" post -

I might have been tempted to select two slightly different ones for poster/s with the less than polite replies.

Hope everything (continues to) work out well (better?).

Alright now that the paragraph police have made their case.

How in the world could driving on a soft shoulder total a nearly new 5er?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

BARN CATS

Mike I am with you all the way. DITTO X2!

I never got any stars for my sentence structure or spelling either for that matter. Personally

I am supper happy our members and posters are willing to take the time and effort to share there

experiences with us! Obviously these newer posters have not yet learned the forum etiquette! We

are not here to criticize one another but to offer help and support, and ultimately learn from each others experiences.

Pat thank God you and your family endured this mishap. Thankfully your wife was following far

enough behind to be safe and still be able to explain what happened.

I am very appreciative to you for chronicling this experience, however you managed to poke it out!

I will be watching to hear how the GS. Ins. treats you, I am sure it's going to be interesting,

Good Luck!

KEN&PAT

roadfitter

SKP# 96308

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

lol

Jon!!!! You are here!!! Very good.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks all for the comments.

Steve in SolCal It was for only 15 to 30 seconds but it bent the frame, twisted beams between the frame rails, bent the spring hangers and dislocated the springs, bent the structure that holds the black water tank, seperated walls inside and knocked the slide out on the right side out 3/4" but worst of all it broke ribs in the right wall requiring it to be completely removed to be repaired. And that was what could be seen with the little bit of access that existed. This is the short version. Now the hard part. Dealing with the insurance people. That is another post. Trying to make sure other people can learn from my misfortune. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived