iOS 10 is a total mess

RV_

I don't use iOS so will just use excerpts from the article.

Excerpt:

"Opinion: With about two months to go until iOS 10 is released, the current beta shows an operating system full of bugs and strange user interface changes.

I've been using the iOS 10 public beta for a week now, and I think I can sum it up in three words -- it's a mess.

For the purposes of this column I'm going to ignore what are obvious bugs -- yes, there are bugs, lots of bugs, lots of very weird and obvious bugs which cause me to wonder just how much testing Apple has done so far -- and focus instead on what appear to be deliberate changes that Apple has made in iOS 10.

First, the lock screen

Let me start off by saying that I wholeheartedly agree with my colleague Zack Whittaker when he says that a lock screen shouldn't be a hub of information. I don't understand why Apple would go to the trouble of building a secure platform, and then develop a super-convenient method of unlocking the device that only required the tap of a finger, only to then, by design, make so much information accessible without needing to authenticate.

I suppose the answer is convenience. It's almost as if Apple realizes how complex iOS has become, with information buried in every nook and cranny, and it now wants to make that information plainly visible.

Problem is, putting it on the lock screen makes it plainly visible to all.

And in order to make all this circus on the lock screen more visible, Apple has tweaked the Touch ID process to make it harder to blow by all this junk.

Ever since Touch ID was introduced, you just tap the Home button, and then you're into your device, but with iOS 10, you can unlock the device and still be on the lock screen. You have to tap the Home button again to get to your apps. I get why Apple did this -- because people would just blow past anything on the lock screen, like notifications and such, but in iOS 10, Apple wants to make more use of the lock screen. But it feels more like Apple wants to force me to use the lock screen rather than make it a useful feature. You can still blow past the lock screen -- just tap and hold the Home button -- but I feel like I'm forced to change how I work because Apple wants to show me the new lock screen's cool features.

A few days ago I thought I'd get used to this feature and be able to blast past it, but a few days on from that optimistic prediction and I'm not so confident anymore.

I also hate to think just how many bugs and lock screen bypasses are in all this new code.

The lock screen also highlights another problem in iOS 10 -- how much space notifications take up and waste. Information is displayed in huge "flash card" style panels, but the text is tiny and there's tons of wasted space. Also, while these panels might work out great in Apple's lab during testing, if you get a lot of notifications then they really become unwieldy to use."

There are screen shots of the iOS screens and much more covered in the rest of the review here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-10-is-a-total-mess/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Below the article are many good feedback comments from iOS users.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Still in the Beta stage. :o Unlike my W10 Desktop, Laptop updates, that are auto now if want them or not..

Unless they are set on limited data use. B)

My iPhone still lets me decide if I want to do the iOS updates.or not. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Unless you change the setting, IOS has always done automatic updates. Which makes win 10 the exact same thing.
Let's wait and see how many bugs get fixed before the general release. What the article refers to doesn't seem to be a bug but a change in direction. I would guess it won't be changedsince the worthless keyboard hasn't been changed no matter how many requests are made.

Unless you change the setting, IOS has always done automatic updates. Which makes win 10 the exact same thing.

Let's wait and see how many bugs get fixed before the general release. What the article refers to doesn't seem to be a bug but a change in direction. I would guess it won't be since the worthless keyboard hasn't been changed no matter how many requests are made.

And hasn't everyone already learned how to change the settings so no automatic updates? Easy just to make sure that when you plug in to charge and are on WiFi, do a hard turn-off. Then do updates whenever YOU want to.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

No, not everyone knows how to turn of IOS auto updates. And as I said a couple of years ago, you solution is not a reasonable one. I like many others, have the Ipad on 24 hours a day and connected to the internet.

The proper way is to:

1. Open up the Settings app.
  2. Tap on App and iTunes Stores.
  3. Under the section titled Automatic Downloads, you'll see an item called Updates.
  4. Tap on the toggle switch to turn it off so that it goes from green to gray.
  5. The problem is that most people are unaware of this solution, probably including you, since you didn't post it.

Gee, since I've only been using Apple products since 1984, it is so good of you to tell me how to do things.

System updates (iOS updates, not App updates) will occur automatically under two conditions - connected to power and on Wi-Fi. The way to avoid auto system updates is to disconnect from Wi-Fi when charging your phone. You can swipe the control center up and turn Wi-Fi off while charging.

The steps you outlined above deal with Apps updating, not iOS updates.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Ron,

Are you talking about Apps or the iOS system software ? They are two different things. For apps, follow the steps The Duke outlined above. For the system software, just make sure when charging that your do a hard quite if you have WiFi in your rig/house. The other option is to fill up your phone with music/pictures (something you can delete easily and replace later) so that there is 600 MB or less available. Just dump the pictures when you want to update, then fill up again. But that takes more effort (at least to me) than just making sure that you do a hard shut down when charging. Also remember, that until you agree, the updates will not be installed - just uploaded.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived