Refridgerator

oldride

Having a issue with the fridge not staying cold during the day. I get home around 4 pm 97 degrees outside the fridge will be up to 47 or better.

We are parked under an rv cover but only have about a foot over the fridge vent. Was wondering if i was getting enough air movement over vent. Would i do better using propane currently using electric. The fridge vent side of trailer is in direct sun most of the day. Would putting a tarp along the side to help deflect the sun?

5th is a 2010 Alpine.

Thanks for any input.

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

Is there a compartment on the outside wall of the frig that vents the air out? If so, is there room in there to put a small fan? That is what I did and it has made a huge difference. I have an outside outlet that I run an extension cord from and then plug the fan into that.

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

In general, most RV refrigerators do cool somewhat better on propane than on electricity. While that may help, the fan suggested by Carolaow is more likely to help. A small fan of 120V that points up, sitting on the floor of the rear access panel could make a big improvement. That would also help the issue of the space above your top vent. If you can force lower temp air from below, up through the coils that will go a long way to improve things and it is something that I have done successfully when parked in hot areas.

The trap to provide shade for that side of the RV is also a good idea as long as it leaves ample space for air movement through the space. I would want that shade to be at least 2' from the side of the RV. We were in 100° weather with our previous RV that was on the awning side and found that keeping the awning out had a very significant effect, especially with the use of that fan. If you can find one of those 6" fans at Walmart or similar store, that would be what I'd do first. Until you do, you can probably help it some by just removing the cover from the rear access panel.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ok thanks for the reply will pick up a fan on the way home. Yes the fridge will be cleaned out this evening when i get home luckily have not bought groceries this week.

We had this problem with our DRV as it had a Dometic fridge. Improve air movement and it should cool better. Ours did. We were never content with it though. They make solar fans for fridge vents.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Is there a compartment on the outside wall of the frig that vents the air out? If so, is there room in there to put a small fan? That is what I did and it has made a huge difference. I have an outside outlet that I run an extension cord from and then plug the fan into that.

Along the same lines, if the fridge has 2 vents in the side wall of the RV, either put a fan at the bottom pushing air up or at the top blowing air out the vent. Make sure there is no gap around the outside of the fridge to the compartment walls that it sits in. The top of the fridge is supposed to be blocked off as well so that all the hot air from the coils moves out the vent.

If you have a top vent in the roof, make sure a critter hasn't built a nest in their blocking airflow. Same rules apply for a fan here.

There are several companies that sell computer type fans that fit in the top area that exhaust the hot air. We have 3 wired on a thermostat that turns on at 85*. Our Norcold actually stays cold.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 3 weeks later...

I just read this post and was intrigued by the fan idea, are we talking the access panel on the out side of the moho or trailer? putting a fan behind the fridge or inside the rig somewhere?

the plastic vent on the outside of the rig would be simple if that is where it needs to be. Anybody? thanks

My choice for fans would be the Enermax Twister 120mm fan. It floats on a magnetic bearing, draws less current, and comes with switch selectable 3 operating speeds. They are extremely quiet vs the sleeve type OEM fans.

That are available on Amazon.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Guess I should update. I pulled the outside vents and found 2 computer fans about 3 in in size. I was able to put another small 110V fan about 6 in in the space. Temps have been staying around 41 high to 36 low at night in the fridge. Moving the air to get the heat out seems to have helped.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Bigmikem--I put the fan in the compartment behind the fridge via the access panel on the outside of the rig. There are vent holes in that panel, and that is what I run the fan cord through, connecting it to the extension cord. Someday I hope to do a less sloppy solution but meanwhile, this helps a lot.

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

We added two additional pairs of fans to the back of our Norcold 1200. One extra set of pancake fans were set via thermocouple to kick on when needed. I also had another pair mounted way down low, pointing up and angled in towards the back of the unit, to shove air up the coils. This pair were attached to a small switch I mounted above the fridge inside the coach. We'd turn this on in extreme heat/humidity areas, like Arizona at North of 105 degrees. We also replace the Norcold cooling unit with he Amish RV Pines unit, which added more cooling capacity. Our Norcold was running well, and cool, after about 4 years of usage, when we determined we had built our battery and solar panel system large enough to handle a residential fridge. Love the Samsung for the added space, and it does keep the frozen goods colder then our Norcold ever did:)!

But, for sure adding the extra fans to the rear, really helped the unit work at a higher efficiency level.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I replaced the thermostat switch on the fins with an adjustable attic thermostat.I set it to 100°F when parked and max when underway. Our temps are 36° & 8°F.

I busted the OEM thermo-switch removing the wires. I intend to replace it and use it for when underway and switching to the attic thermostat when parked. If I run the attic thermostat @ 100°F while underway I experience burner flame outs. When set to max all is fine underway.

I need to look into the thermocouple & its placement maybe.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

My drv had 2 and it still didn't cool until I installed the extras

Yep. X's 2... The RV Pines Amish Cooling unit helped quite a bit. But it was the added two sets of fans that gave us the confidence that we could keep things cool.

We still added the SS-30 extinguisher, and a behind the fridge smoke detector, as added insurance. I did not trust, and certainly less then respected, the multiple Mickey Mouse 'Norcold' recalls... We added two battery power fans on the inside of the unit to help circulate the fridge compartment air, and those helped too. If we were to retain the unit, I would have had the ARP (Or is the ARB? Admit I forget:)!) board too. As I felt that sort of technology should have come as part of any propane ridges OEM controls systems.

Never forget that these units, yes more so the Norcold 1200, but frankly many other coaches have three way fridges inside of slides, where heat can build up, and these become a higher then normal ignition point for RV's. Save a few bucks on other goodies, and be sure you maximize the safety of your refrigerator.

Smitty opinion shutting off now:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived