Lippert Suppliers of Grand Design RVs Parts

Scuba4fun2

We're not too far away from starting a journey that is over 2 years in the planning by purchasing a 1 ton truck and a 5er to begin our travels. Obviously quality is important to me,as it is with most. One of my favorites is the Grand Design Solitude line. About a month ago I inquired to Grand Design re: their suppliers of critical parts in the construction of their Solitude RVs. Specifically, I was interested in their frames, axles, suspension, leveling systems and slide mechanisms. They informed me that all were provided by Lippert. I reached out to Lippert asking about their sources and providers of the steel and other metals used in the manufacturing of these parts. But in the last month, I have received no response, so I thought I would try asking here.

I asked Lippert who were their suppliers were and where are their manufacturing facilities located? I'm trying to avoid (or minimize) the risk of those RVs made with Chinese steel, which may still be inevitable to some extent. Still, knowing those components that are made with Chinese steel in advance will allow me to plan and budget for replacement of key components with materials made with higher grade steel.

Has anyone done the research on Lippert to know who provides their steel for parts that go into their frames, axles, suspension, leveling systems and slide mechanisms?

Also, on an unrelated note………after friends recently experienced significant problems with several slide outs in their DRV fifth wheel, I’ve heard comments that “Lippert had a problem with manufacturing slide out mechanism in 2015” that led to a number of RVs experiencing problems. Has anyone else heard that and/or can confirm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx, Chris

We have a 2015 DRV ans have never had a problem with the slideouts. As far as the steel country of origin goes, as long as you have rolled shapes that are Wide Flange shapes or American Standard shapes or the frame is made from HSS (tube), most of the steel that you can get in this country is made here.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

When it comes to the components you asked Grand Design about, you come up with 2, maybe 3 manufacturers; Lippert, Dexter, Big Foot (for leveling), and maybe, maybe, in-house. Lippert is likely the largest supplier of various components. You could spend several hours on their web site looking at all the "stuff" they put into RVs...including mattresses. Yeah, Denver Mattress apparently is owned by Lippert.

Good luck getting Lippert or any other manufacturer to provide info on their suppliers.

We have a 2015 DRV ans have never had a problem with the slideouts. As far as the steel country of origin goes, as long as you have rolled shapes that are Wide Flange shapes or American Standard shapes or the frame is made from HSS (tube), most of the steel that you can get in this country is made here.

I also have a 2015 with no slide issues.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We're not too far away from starting a journey that is over 2 years in the planning by purchasing a 1 ton truck and a 5er to begin our travels. Obviously quality is important to me,as it is with most. One of my favorites is the Grand Design Solitude line. About a month ago I inquired to Grand Design re: their suppliers of critical parts in the construction of their Solitude RVs. Specifically, I was interested in their frames, axles, suspension, leveling systems and slide mechanisms. They informed me that all were provided by Lippert. I reached out to Lippert asking about their sources and providers of the steel and other metals used in the manufacturing of these parts. But in the last month, I have received no response, so I thought I would try asking here.

I asked Lippert who were their suppliers were and where are their manufacturing facilities located? I'm trying to avoid (or minimize) the risk of those RVs made with Chinese steel, which may still be inevitable to some extent. Still, knowing those components that are made with Chinese steel in advance will allow me to plan and budget for replacement of key components with materials made with higher grade steel.

Has anyone done the research on Lippert to know who provides their steel for parts that go into their frames, axles, suspension, leveling systems and slide mechanisms?

Also, on an unrelated note………after friends recently experienced significant problems with several slide outs in their DRV fifth wheel, I’ve heard comments that “Lippert had a problem with manufacturing slide out mechanism in 2015” that led to a number of RVs experiencing problems. Has anyone else heard that and/or can confirm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx, Chris

Chris,

Where is your data or facts on the 2015 DRV slide issues?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

There was a short period where DRV was using Schwintech worm drive slide mechanisms. I forget the exact years, but think it was around 2012-2013. These were the mechanisms that DRV had problems with and have since stopped using.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chris,

Where is your data or facts on the 2015 DRV slide issues?

I just had a close friend go thru more than a week at DRV in Indiana trying to get a slide fixed. It took more than a week to get things fixed. This after he had another problem with a another slide a few months prior that was corrected more quickly.....by the dealer I believe. As such, my post was an inquiry only re: others experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Lippert makes the things for 80% or more of what's out there. Some of it's OK, some of it's crap and some of that they will back and fix. They don't want to talk to you. They just want to do volume.

A week to get things fixed? That's lightning speed.

I hope you are a tool guy, 'caus it's the only way to be an RV owner without wanting to jump off a cliff at some point.

The current new production industry is rotten, through and through.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived