Need advice on replacement tires

Dwain & Debbie

i am going to replace my tires on my 11 drv 38 ft 5th.i now have goodyears 215 75r 17.5 load range H.

what are some recommends for replacements of these tires, they are 6 years old . should i go to an st type or stay with lt type?

jack what are they using on the big new Horizons?

2001 volvo 660 single.430hp autoshift 2011 Mobile Suites 38rssb3

i am going to replace my tires on my 11 drv 38 ft 5th.i now have goodyears 215 75r 17.5 load range H.

what are some recommends for replacements of these tires, they are 6 years old . should i go to an st type or stay with lt type?

jack what are they using on the big new Horizons?

I'm not very good at recommending brand names. When searching for tires in that size it would be wise to insure they have a speed rating you will be comfortable with. Many are actually European designed, especially the "J" rated ones and their speed rating will be 62 MPH. The TRA doesn't allow tires rated by their manufacturer to have their load/inflation weights/pressures manipulated to gain more speed from tires with ratings of 65 MPH or less.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

speed rating is no that important i only drive 62. right now i have Goodyear 04 10 less than 30 thousand miles but still 6 years old. time to replace. they have been covered when we park, no ch ecks or cracks 215-75r-17.5 load h

2001 volvo 660 single.430hp autoshift 2011 Mobile Suites 38rssb3

I settled on the 235/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco Plus Radial Trailer Tire from TrailerTiresandWheels.com. What a tire. I originally had the Goodyear 614's, but they were at 95 percent of their capacity, the Goodyear 611's would be at 75% of their capacity and I've heard of several blowouts from this tire, so I settled on the Continental at 50 something percent of capacity. The tire can handle more than the rim, but I've had blowouts so I paid a little more for a beefier tire. They are beautiful.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

I run Sailuns in that (the OP's) size on my fiver. I also purchased them from trailertiresandwheels.com. For the price, I don't think there is a better tire out there. I have been very happy with them and no longer worry about my tires like I used to before I upgraded to 17.5's. I thought of going to the 235/75 17.5 for even more margin, but my current 5er just isn't heavy enough to justify the bigger capacity tire.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Our Teton tips the scale at 21,084 lbs. Our tire of choice is a Michelin XTA2 Energy; a robust, cool-running tire that works well with our triple-axle trailer.
http://goo.gl/1EfQ67
They are expensive but I feel comfortable with their load carrying capacity. If clearance is an issue, they also make a slightly smaller tire that's also a 17.5".
I suggest you check Michelin's load and pressure table for proper inflation for your application.
Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

speed rating is no that important i only drive 62. right now i have Goodyear 04 10 less than 30 thousand miles but still 6 years old. time to replace. they have been covered when we park, no ch ecks or cracks 215-75r-17.5 load h

A tires speed rating tells us two important things. One is the tire manufacturers speed rating for the tire and not to exceed it or highway speed limits. Two is probably the most important. The speed rating also tells us that the tire will carry its maximum load capacity displayed on its side wall up to the MFGs speed limit. When being operated at or near its maximum load capacity the tire starts to degrade and does so more rapidly when consistently operated at or above its speed limit.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

Our Teton tips the scale at 21,084 lbs. Our tire of choice is a Michelin XTA2 Energy; a robust, cool-running tire that works well with our triple-axle trailer.

http://goo.gl/1EfQ67

They are expensive but I feel comfortable with their load carrying capacity. If clearance is an issue, they also make a slightly smaller tire that's also a 17.5".

I suggest you check Michelin's load and pressure table for proper inflation for your application.

Mark

Nice tire, Mark.

Rex & Karen

We have run the Goodyear G114s on our last two rigs, a 24K 40' Teton and our current 27K 41' Continental Coach. run tires at 105 psi. Knock on wood, no problems. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

so far i am liking the continental htl2, checking around town to see if i can get them here , and a military discount, on going saga still. thanks for the help.

TrailerTiresandwheels offer a great price considering they will come on the rim and balanced. I've ordered from them twice and both times I picked up the tires at the FedX station in town. They are a heavy tire and, unless you're in to weight lifting, I recommend a two person lift.

Rex & Karen

We have a 2012 and it came with Michelin's. We bought new tires in Tucson and couldn't find them so bought the Goodyear G114's in March. We're hoping they are as good and last as long as the Michelin's. Ours is a 36' but weighs 19,400, Big Mama needed some good tires. Did you ask other Drv owners by searching and/or posting on the owner's site? www.suitesowners.com

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Yes, the Continental Coach is a true heavy weight. We weighed at the HDT rally and was a little surprised it weighed 27,500 with 7000 on the pin. However all six tires were around 3400, well under the tire's max rating. And there are some out there that are heavier than we are! Puts a lot of importance on the tires, suspension, brakes, tow vehicle, etc, doesn't it, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A lot of us running 17.5 wheels have Goodyear G114 tires that are speed rated to 75 mph

I'm pretty sure that's what he has. If so, he should stay with them as that's about as good as it gets.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

I switched to Michelins and am very impressed with the tempeatures I see. i shoot my tire and breaks w/an infa red gun every rest stop. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

We have run the Goodyear G114s on our last two rigs, a 24K 40' Teton and our current 27K 41' Continental Coach. run tires at 105 psi. Knock on wood, no problems. Best Wishes, Jay

Jay, I spoke with trailerandtire last Friday with plans to order 17.5 G114s for my 39' 14k Gateway this week. More tire than needed? Probably, but I'm tired of watching the mirrors everytime I hear road noise. I'm running 105 psi in my Gladiator 16s. Is there a chart for the Goodyear's to determine air pressure?

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Jerry, I think the GY G114s are an excellent choice. Yes, there are inflation tables which will give you the recommended cold pressure based on wheel weights. You can find them with a Google search, sorry for not posting a link but that is beyond my limited computer skills.(maybe someone can provide a link and bale me out!) It is generally recommended you use the heaviest wheel weight plus a safety margin and inflate all tires for that weight. Also recommended to not go below the lowest inflation which is 90 psi for the G114s. I have seen some comments on the forum that they run their tires as low as 75-80 psi because they have light wheel weights. I would worry that might create an under inflation scenario and lead to tire failure. When in doubt some recommend using the max pressure which is 125 for the G114, until you can get actual weight. Weighing at a Cat scale will help but individual weights is better. Max pressure will probably give a harder ride for the rig and an over inflated wear pattern on the tires. Best Wishes, Jay

I went with the Michelin XPS Ribs. Great tire. Almost never have to add air. Have had them for some time and the tread is still looking good.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived