Santa Fe, NM to Alamosa, Co, Hwy 285 conditions.

TXiceman

We will be traveling from Santa Fe to Alamosa, CO and wondering about the conditions and grades on Hwy 285. The alternate would be much longer to take I-25 from Santa Fe and them Hwy 160 west to Alamosa.

Any comments would be appreciated

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I travel that section of 285 3 or 4 times a year, going between my summer & winter homes. Its a good route, easy drive, no grades to worry about, but it does have some ups and downs. Depending on where you're starting from, I recommend using the "Santa Fe Relief route" 599 which skirts around the NW side of the city, directly from I-25 to 285. Driving through downtown Santa Fe with a big rig is not very enjoyable.

TXiceman, on 11 Jul 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

We will be traveling from Santa Fe to Alamosa, CO and wondering about the conditions and grades on Hwy 285. The alternate would be much longer to take I-25 from Santa Fe and them Hwy 160 west to Alamosa.

Any comments would be appreciated

Ken

Jim

Thanks for the responses folks. WE will towing our 40' 5er.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Depending on where you're starting from, I recommend using the "Santa Fe Relief route" 599 which skirts around the NW side of the city, directly from I-25 to 285. Driving through downtown Santa Fe with a big rig is not very enjoyable.

Basically, from the south headed north, take 599. If coming from the east/north (as in heading south on I-25 or north on US285), take St. Francis. St. Francis has a bunch of traffic lights, but they aren't too bad most times of the day. After about 9 or 10 at night, you've got a decent chance of making it all the way through town without stopping for more than one or two. Unless there's somewhere specific you need to go, steer clear of Cerrillos with the rig, and very little of downtown is very accommodating of big vehicles. It is the oldest capital city in America after all, predating mechanized travel by a few years.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

We ran 599 up to 285 and it was nice easy drive, Thanks for the help.

Ken

Archived