Clutch?

tyates007

Just looking for a quick opinion. We were coming home tonight me about a half hour from getting there at a stop light the truck did not want to go into gear. Truck has a super 10 standard transmission. When trying to put into gear it just wanted to grind. My clutch pedal was also much softer. I had a bunch of linkage replaced a few weeks ago due to good old age and rust. I am assuming since truck has not had an issue prior it is probably an adjustment issue vs a broken part. For the rest of the way home I just downshifted and left in gear for stop lights. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Sounds like clutch brake, hopefully you can just readjust it. Make sure your not pushing the peddle all the way down when shifting and only pushing it all the way at a stop long enough to get it into gear then letting it back up half way.

If it gets real bad you can turn the truck off and put it in gear then restart the truck.

I was told at my last service that 75% of my clutch brake was gone. Don't know how long that last 20 percent will last. I am having no symptoms, but I have an auto shift and only occasionally need to engage the clutch brake. Most of my routes have few stop lights. If I change the clutch brake, a new clutch is going in at the same time along with anything else that requires pulling down the transmission. Only want to have to do that once.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If you do need a clutch brake, a 2 piece clutch brake can be installed without pulling the transmission.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

If you have a hydraulically operated clutch, the master cylinder and or slave cylinder may have a problem. That could be why the clutch felt soft. Check the fluid level in the resivior.

Last winter mine was leaking at the slave cylinder. Found a cup seal at Napa for 3 bucks that fit the bore. Rebuilt the slave cylinder and also replaced a pin in the linkage. It was worn down about 1/8" so that had a lot of pedal travel to take up that much plan .

Now it works better than all the time we have owned the truck.

Hope it is simple, Vern

Talked to my trusted Mechanic today and he said not to worry. Unless I get stuck in an intersection and the truck won't go in gear, that's when you have a problem. My clutch is hydraulic and I don't engage the clutch brake unless I need to to allow the transmission to fall into gear. It always happens so I won't worry about it for a while yet.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

That would be a pretty expensive clutch brake. They usually run $30 or so for a 1 piece and $60 for a 2 piece although everything on this Kenworth is way more expensive than my Volvo was.

Try checking at a Pete dealer for your parts. They is often a large difference in prices between them for the same part. You can also go aftermarket for a lot of items.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Try checking at a Pete dealer for your parts. They is often a large difference in prices between them for the same part.

I found the same to be the case when I was rigging up my T2000 eight years ago. You'll find, though, that it only works for parts that are common to both makes. A Peterbilt dealer can't buy a Kenworth-only part from Paccar Parts, and vice-versa.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

If it is your clutch brake, don't panic...just keep the clutch depressed for about ~6 to 8 seconds and it will go into gear....it takes that long to settle the turning shaft to a stop.

Also I had trouble with my hydraulic clutch in my 610 Volvo, and it was all in the hydraulic lines..

I would thoroughly check that out first.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Clutch brake. Either needs adjustment, or parts came out.

Not entirely uncommon. Usually won't even give a bang on the way out.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived