Another package story!

bruce t

OK this has nothing to do with RVing but just something so amuse everyone while having their morning coffee. Pure entertainment.

Some may remember me posting the adventures of a package back before Christmas. Dallas to Australia. That package had quite an adventure.

Normally I collect my goodies while in the USA via SKP in Livingston. But I needed something 'now' so I ventured forth with my credit card and tried once again for a package from the USA to Australia.

Said item was purchased from a vendor in a small town in country Georgia. Sent via USPS. From there it went to the local depot. From there it went to Atlanta. Then to Miami. Remember this package is heading to Australia! So far it has taken 10 days to get to Miami. Quoted delivery time was 6-7 days!!!!!

I'll post an update as I get them. So get your coffee. Sit back and follow alone.

FWIW Australia Post is a very profitable and successful organization. Delivers in good time and for good prices. Has many buyers eyeing off as soon as our Government decides to sell it. So it begs the question as to why the USPS can't get their collective acts together.

regards

FWIW Australia Post is a very profitable and successful organization. Delivers in good time and for good prices. Has many buyers eyeing off as soon as our Government decides to sell it. So it begs the question as to why the USPS can't get their collective acts together.

regards

Is Australia Post required by law to pre-fund employee healthcare 75 years into the future? Something that no other US public or private entity is required to do? The USPS was doing pretty well profit wise until our Congress enacted this mandate in 2006.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch_12078 Er no. But that's a 'profit' issue. It shouldn't relate to a performance issue. I must also point out that companies such as Fedex and UPS have never been successful in Australia. Why? No idea but my guess is that our large distances and small population doesn't warrant the infrastructure required.

regards

Also with the pre-fund there is enough of a budget problem (our USPS is run as a business entity) they have closed a lot of sorting stations. That means instead of a package getting sent from a local facility it gets to be held until it gets picked up then to a regional facility and then sent to where it is supposed to be going. Even if I send a letter across the road it will have in excess of 300 miles on before it gets to its destination....

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Dutch_12078 Er no. But that's a 'profit' issue. It shouldn't relate to a performance issue. I must also point out that companies such as Fedex and UPS have never been successful in Australia. Why? No idea but my guess is that our large distances and small population doesn't warrant the infrastructure required.

regards

The "profit" issued is directly related to the "performance" issue because in order to cut costs, performance has been degraded.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Last month the mail order prescription service we use mailed me a prescription. The tracking showed it as it moved to Denver but that was it. I filed a request with USPS to find the package as it should have arrived on 6-13. The final response from USPS said it must have been destroyed because the package can not be found.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Florida seems part of the delay. I have relatives living in Ft. Myers, FL. It takes at least 5-7 days for a letter to travel between FL and IN. I have an Army buddy living in Los Angeles, that takes 3-4 days for a letter.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The "profit" issued is directly related to the "performance" issue because in order to cut costs, performance has been degraded.

Exactly...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Last month the mail order prescription service we use mailed me a prescription. The tracking showed it as it moved to Denver but that was it. I filed a request with USPS to find the package as it should have arrived on 6-13. The final response from USPS said it must have been destroyed because the package can not be found.

In my experience, the USPS reply to package queries is along the lines of "Meh".

Update. Package has now been sitting in Miami for 4 days. It has now been transferred to the 'International' airport. Where ever that is.

Re profits and efficiency. I think many would disagree with the premise that cost cutting equals inefficiencies. Just one word. Walmart. Many many organisations have cut costs and become more profitable and efficient. But like religion and politics, economics is an inexact science. The debate will rage on for ever about the how to's of running a business.

regards

Tucson's proposed new plan was put on hold last year. All mail going in and out of Tucson and even cross-town was proposed to go to Phoenix instead and then resent to Tucson. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Frequently order items from Amazon. You can pay extra for faster delivery service.

However, I always use the "standard" (no additional charge) two day delivery w/Prime.

MOST make it the *next* day, some need two days - sometimes even rate a Sunday delivery......via USPS.

An update.

Package left LAX just after midnight. Arrived Sydney 7.00am. (Remember there's a time zone or more difference. 17 hour flight). 9.25am package was processed through customs and sorted. 2.35pm package was sorted in Brisbane 1200ks north. 3.16pm package was sent to local depot 80ks south. Delivered this morning at 9.05am.

So approx 10 days to get from Atlanta to Miami. 1 day to LA. 24 hours to get from Sydney to my hands.

Yeah and it's model train stuff again. Gotta get your priorities right!!

This was just meant to be entertaining. But it does raise some questions about USPS and it's routines. With the infrastructure available in the USA why 10 days from Atlanta to Miami. Once out of Miami all went as one would expect. And how come Australia Post with a fraction of the business can be so fast and make a profit? All questions for someone smarter than me.

Choo choo

Archived