Canada Weight Checks

We are in Utah headed to Canada in a couple of weeks. A guy across from me just told me he came down from the Yukon through BC and that Canadian officials were pulling over 5th wheels and checking CGVW. He said It seemed they were targeting units that were obviously over the limit on weight. If they were over the limit the were ordered off the road. Any of you folks been up there this summer and seen anything like he is describing? Dick

We are in Utah headed to Canada in a couple of weeks. A guy across from me just told me he came down from the Yukon through BC and that Canadian officials were pulling over 5th wheels and checking CGVW. He said It seemed they were targeting units that were obviously over the limit on weight. If they were over the limit the were ordered off the road. Any of you folks been up there this summer and seen anything like he is describing? Dick

Are you over your weight limit? That is, is there something about your rig that would give Canada some reason to pull you over? Like a motorcycle hanging off the rear? I'm not thinking about being 500 pounds over your 15,000 GVWR.

I'm not sure why RMCP would just drive around pulling over 5th wheels unless there was something about the rig that would cause them to think it is over weight.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Are you over your weight limit? That is, is there something about your rig that would give Canada some reason to pull you over? Like a motorcycle hanging off the rear? I'm not thinking about being 500 pounds over your 15,000 GVWR.

I'm not sure why RMCP would just drive around pulling over 5th wheels unless there was something about the rig that would cause them to think it is over weight.

They don't drive around looking for violations, unless they're gross violations. They have set up checkpoints near border crossings, and will direct traffic through, or around it. Quite often it's only at the beginning of a long weekend, which is both a good time to catch violations, and a horrible time.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Agree with Darryl.....they set up checkpoints and inspect all vehicles for safety. They dont do it very often but it does happen. Here n Lethbridge I've seen it happen once in my lfetime and it was in the opposing lanes.

To the OP I would not worry about it unless you have a very unsafe rig.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived