Wiring a cpap machine

Grassy

We don't normally boondock (at least not now) but when we do, it is usually over nighting in a wally mart parking lot.

I have tried not using my machine but with the longer hauls, it really affects my body.

I just bought a specific inverter for my machine. In the provided literature, you are supposed to connect it into a 12v plug or have a marine grade 12V batter sitting by your bed.

I want to hard wire it directly to my 5th batteries (AF 29-5t). I can deactivate the humidifier and we normally do not disconnect the umbilical from our tv at night and it has 2 big 12v batteries. Less important, we have solar on the roof.

Going through the literature today, I read this warning.. "DO NOT connect this cable to a battery that is installed in a vehicle or has any additional equipment attached to it".

Will this iverter damage the electrical system in my rig or are they concerned that I will drain the battery prematurely ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Rather than power my CPAP from 12 volts directly I use an inverter. The 12 volt circuit is powered by the house batteries. I've used this for years with no damage to either the battery system or my CPAP machine. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I too have an Airsense 10 and I use the 12 volt power source from Resmed. I just plug it into a 12v outlet within reach each night. I do not use the humidifier when on 12v but I have just gotten some HME (heat moisture exchange) filters to give a try. They retain the humidity from your breath.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

The DW has a Resmed Cpap. I installed a pure sine wave inverter that she has used off and on for three years with no problems.

Would only use pure sine wave and not a modified sine wave though. Some medical equipment and other electronics are sensitive to the incoming power.

The two house batteries that we have hardly notice the draw.

Just my two cents.

See you on the road!

Back to your original question "Will this iverter damage the electrical system in my rig or are they concerned that I will drain the battery prematurely ?"

This might be covering themselves in case there is a problem, but I suspect they are worried about a large voltage drop when another load on the battery kicks in.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Regarding your specific trailer ". . . AF 29-5T . . . "

you may want to also ask over on the Northwood RV Owners Association forum: http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/

I used to belong there but I dropped my paid membership so interaction is very limited. Great forum though..

I think this is more of a generic issue..I suspect most trailers use the same parts for their electrical system...

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

..had that space alien sitting on your face and sucking your breathe in the middle of the night....

I suspect we have had a few of the same experiences :) ,,,,until I found a mask I could live with, I was thinking that the cure was worse than the problem..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

More info.

My machine is a Respironics system one. The inverter that I bought is made specifically for this machine and sold through respironics.

I am old enough to be cynical of some warnings and I think Bill hit the nail on the head...we are leaving on a 5K mile trip this week so i will do a dry run. Nothing is on in our rig when we overnight except the odd light.

From what I am reading, I could disconnect the umbilical cord from my TV..

Thanks for confirming what I thought..

:)

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Bill,

Great eye. My kit is similar ..I also have a gizmo with alligator clips to attach to a battery.

I was told that the actual machine when plugged into 12V with the cord you linked to acts as an inverter.

I think I have 2 more years before I can replace this machine ...I was a noob when I bought this one.. the next one I shall research.

If I understand you correctly, using my set up will suck an extra 20% out of my batteries so it would be wise to leave my TV connected overnight ?

Thanks..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

I have a Philips Respironics System One that I found a generic 12V power cord for that allows me to plug it into the standard 12V outlet in the bunk of my truck camper. You should be able to do something similar and eliminate the power brick that they use to convert the 120VAC to 12VDC. If for some reason your unit uses a different DC voltage it wont be quite as easy and you will need a small inverter. As for the current draw, the heater does draw about 4-5 amps at 12V upon startup to heat the water in the humidifier. Once the water is up to temperature the current drops to less than one amp.

Tom - KK8M. MI Licensed Journeyman Electrician (35 years), ISA Level 2 Instrumentation Technician, UL Certified Solar Installer.

Thanks.

Should have it wired in soon if it would stop pouring. We leave on Saturday so I will do a trial run with the rig disconnected. I am quite curious now..

The only way to disconnect the batteries in my truck is to disconnect the leads..I should probably put a battery disconnect on it..

I shall report how it goes :) ..no cpap during a couple days of hard hauling (plus 10 hour runs) is no fun.. but when the dw retires, we won't be dealing with these time constraints..

Thanks all...i fell better now installing the wiring..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

I am running a Tekonsha brake controller.

I plugged in my umbilical cord (while the tv was off) and hit the lights..the trailer lit up so can I assume power is going to the battery ? I do know years ago, my tt batteries would die and the alarm would go off..I would quickly run out and plug the trailer into my truck and all was ok..

Was trying to find a route for the wire today .... and someone mentioned that i could tap into a fixture that works while not plugged into shore power..specifically, the headboard lights.

I can test tomorrow, but does any power go to the wall outlets when on battery or only when the trailer is powered up ?

Thanks..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Well darn.

I am going to explore tapping into the lighting.. I think my body may be a tad too large to crawl into some if the places I think the wire may have to go :)

This has to be completed soon..nothing like a deadline to spur you on..

Will update when finished.

Thanks

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

• 3 months later...

Finished and tested.

I did look into taping into the lights above my bed ...but the wires I found were aluminum..so not a good combo.

Instead, I ran a 12 v plug to the side of my vanity..which is an easy reach for my power plug for the CPAP ..so now I can just plug and unplug when required. I did tap into wiring (not aluminum) in my storage bay and feed it up through.

Before we left, I did disconnect all power sources from the rig ...after I ran the cpap all night there was essentially *zero* effect on my battery.. I have a battery readout in my trailer. I can see no reason not to use the humidifier while on battery...I didn't bother testing because humidity was plus 80 when we were on the road..

So total cost... the gizmo I bought from Phillips, a 12 volt socket.. and a bit of wire and time to install....well worth it..

Bill,

"power to the trailer would only be on with the engine on".

Years ago, when we were boondocking a lot..and my battery was getting week...the alarm used to go off in the middle of the night. I would just run out ..I had an extension (oddly enough, it came with the rig when I bought it) ..and I would plug into the truck..the battery would come up and alarm would shut off. Haven't checked this with the present TV and rig..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Archived