What's the best and worst browser for Windows 10?

RV_

Top browsers Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Edge, and Internet Explorer are pitted against each other to find out which is the best and worst browser for Windows 10.

Excerpt:

"Here's a question that faces every Windows 10 user: do you download a third-party browser or stick with the Internet Explorer and Edge browsers that Microsoft has provided?

The browsers

In this test, we have taken five browsers - Chrome (v51.0), Opera (v38), Firefox (v47), as well as the bundled Edge (v25.10586) and Internet Explorer (v11.420) browsers - and tested them using five of the most popular benchmarks to find out which is the best and worst browser.

The tests

Here are the tests:

•JetStream 1.1: A JavaScript benchmark suite focused on the most advanced web applications. Larger scores are better.

•Kraken 1.1: An updated version of the SunSpider benchmark. Lower scores are better.

•Octane 2.0: A modern benchmark that measures a JavaScript engine's performance by running a suite of tests representative of today's complex and demanding web applications. Larger scores are better.

•RoboHornet: A benchmark designed around performance pain points real web developers care about. Larger scores are better.

•HTML5test: A benchmark that tests how well a browser supports the HTML5 standard and related specifications. Larger scores are better, and the top score possible is 555.

Test hardware

I carried out the tests on a Huawei MateBook with a 1.51GHz Intel Core m3 processor and 4GB of RAM. The system runs Windows 10 Home.

The device was plugged in for the tests, and all power-saving options were switched off."

The results are in the article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-the-best-and-worst-browser-for-windows-10/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I use both Explorer and Edge with Win. 10. Explorer is the slowest but has some features I like, so I use it occasionally. The Microsoft Edge is much faster and doesn't drop keystrokes like Explorer does - which can be very annoying.

Chip

Chip,

Same here!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'm still using IE, although Chrome is on my computer and I use it occasionally. Edge, of course, came with Windows 10 and it seems to be the default when some things are opened. All my Favorites are on IE, so that's one of the main reasons I continue to use it.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I'm still using IE, although Chrome is on my computer and I use it occasionally. Edge, of course, came with Windows 10 and it seems to be the default when some things are opened. All my Favorites are on IE, so that's one of the main reasons I continue to use it.

First of all, you can easily control what programs are the defaults for particular file types. Just go to Settings/System/DefaultApps and change the defaults to what you want.

As for importing favorites from one browser to another, here's how to import from IE to Edge:

Here's how to import them from Internet Explorer or Chrome.
  1. In Microsoft Edge, select Hub > Favorites.
  2. Select Import favorites and choose the browser from which you'd like to import your favorites. ...
  3. To see your favorites, select Hub > Favorites.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Now, tell me how to import from Firefox. That's just one of the problems with Edge.

Newt

Export your Firefox favorites as an HTML file then import that file into Chrome. Next import these Chrome favorites into Edge. It's cumbersome but easier than redoing them one by one.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Export your Firefox favorites as an HTML file then import that file into Chrome. Next import these Chrome favorites into Edge. It's cumbersome but easier than redoing them one by one.

Much easier to just keep using Firefox.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Much easier to just keep using Firefox.

Newt

That's what I would do, but I thought you had a real interest in switching to Edge. Personally, I use Chrome.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

That's what I would do, but I thought you had a real interest in switching to Edge. Personally, I use Chrome.

There are couple of financial web sites that do not like Firefox. For those, I use Edge.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

The new Vivaldi browser is pretty good. Since they use Chrome as a running start, it is pretty advanced for its time in the market. I am waiting for the add-ons for Edge, to see how fast it will evolve like Chrome did.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Yes, all browsers are just dumb oxes without add-in and plug-ins to backfill all the missing features and functions. I depend on Chrome and Chromium on my linux systems because everything is kept up to date across all of them and all my android devices, too.

Whether it is a favorite website or a uid/password combination, Chrome keeps it current across the board. With over 1500 uid/pw combinations, this is vital. However, I set IE as my default browser in windows 10. Not because I like it so much but because I use Roboform for all my PWs and ids along with Dashlane (yeah, I know, I know. But nothing does it all reliably). When I click a bookmark to take me straight to those sites, roboform is already present to give me my pw for that url.

I usually have firefox installed just to test with if I find a problem I suspect is in Chrome but haven't hit one in over 2 years.

As for Edge, if I am going to read something like an article or long news item, I will bring it up in Edge. Other than that, the overhead (check your Apps History in the Task Manager) it puts into the system is considerable. If you are counting network bytes over cell plans, this might be something to watch. Yes, it does come up fast but once it is up, the lack of add-ons makes it just sit there because most of what I do is done in those guys and not in the direct browser functions.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived